Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/167/170 Male 68.5"
BF:30%/15%/11%
Progress: 103%
Question Ketosis Question

I have an odd question. I have been following the Atkins diet for about 7 days now. I have been strict with the rules and have been reading food labels with a magnifying glass <lol>.

Here is the question......

About 3 days ago I noticed that the ketosis strips I have purchased and been using started to change to a pinkish color. Yesterday the had turned to a dark purple color. This morning I was suprised to see that the strip was brown, indicating a negative ketosis level. I figured it was no biggy and probably a fluke. I retested a few minutes ago and got the same result. Any clue as to why I suddenly dropped out of ketosis? I reviewed everyting I consumed yesterday, and even looke at all the packages again to make sure I had not "missed" any hidden carbs, and everything seems to be in order.

Has this ever happened to any of you, and if so what might be the cause of this? Should I be concearned? Educated guesses would be most welcome.

BTW.... I'm eating around 1300-1600 calories a day, and drinking enough bottled water to flood a desert<lol>.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 11:19

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I wouldn't trust those sticks if I were you. If they did turn deep purple this indicates you are not drinking enough water (desert or no).

Up the water, keep counting the carbs and all will be fine.

Put the sticks away somewhere for when you have a real stall and need to figure out what's going on.

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 12:35

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%
Cool Hmm, Robert

If my stick turns "dark purple" which it usually does, it supposed to mean high ketosis (according to the guide on the side of the container) I've used two different types). I know I drink tons of water so I'm not dehyrated........My sticks have been consistantly in the higher color range since the second week of beginning this WOE, last March....Not sure why it would signify dehydration????
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 12:36

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default I agree with Robert...

most strips turn darker when MORE ketones are detected. A light beige color usually indicates a neutral reaction.

I also agree that these are not the best indicator, especially if you test first thing in the morning or soon after eating. If your eating all legal induction foods, then I wouldn't worry about what the sticks say.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 14:57

Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%

I have NEVER reached higher than the lowest "pink" on the test strip. Think I mainly use them for fun. If you are sticking to the diet, don't worry about them. I know whenever I eat a salad they turn to "beige".
Cheers...Pam
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 17:18

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

You're supposed to check the strips first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything, as one meal can show neg on the strips (according to someone's directions on their stix - past post).

If you are exercising, your body will be burning the ketones for fuel (and excreting through breath and sweat) instead of expelling them through urine. Hence, negatory on the stix - but no worries, doesn't mean you're out of ketosis.

So, if you're ever afraid you may have gone a little over on your carb allotment, go exercise. And please, don't sweat the stix!

Jinx
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 17:52
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I put those stix right up there with Mr. Scale... NOT a very reliable way to measure what's really going on! Take measurements ASAP...that way when the scale starts acting weird on you, you can still see that you really are shrinking!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 21:26

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Watch your tape measure. IMHO, it's the best guide. As a result, watch the difference in how your clothes fit. Remember that this should be a lifestyle change. It took a while to gain the fat, so it'll take time to lose it. Ketosis or no ketosis, you're doing your body a favor.

To good health
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 23:41

Stats: 260/167/170 Male 68.5"
BF:30%/15%/11%
Progress: 103%
Cool

Thanks all for the reponses. Whatever was going on with the neg. indication, it does appear to have been a very temporary thing. I used the strips twice more; once earlier this evening and then again a few moments ago. The color has returned to pink or light purple.
I certainly agree that changing the color on some test strip is hardly the goal here, but I have always been a results based kind of guy. I am only using the strips as an tool to help my gauge early progress. As I come along on this diet, I'm sure the progress will be measured in many more significant ways.
I read alot of posts that refere to Atkins as a "lifestyle change". For me it is just a diet at this point. I'm not ready to change my entire life based on a book I've read. If this diet works as well as I believe it will, (I've already lost several pounds and don't feel the constant desire to snack), then I will be able to truly comit myself to following the Atkins program for a lifetime.
You folks on here seem to really help one another out, as you have helped me. HOW REFRESHING. It's nice to see people reach out and help support each other.
Thanks again................................