Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202.5/177.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Firming up the fat?

Okay, I've been working at it for at least 10 weeks. I've been walking 2.5 miles at a minimum four times a week - why do my legs still shake like jello and look like cottage cheese? Since the Atkin's diet allows the fat - does this mean I'll continue to keep the fat cells? I thought ketosis meant I was burning the fat - it sure doesn't look like it. Any words of wisdom from anyone? I don't think liposuction looks like too much fun - nor can I afford it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 00:02

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Well, honestly, if the issue is actually cellulite, I don't think there's really any way to get rid of it. But, what you're doing is great, so maybe you just need to give it some more time before you start to really firm up.

No, eating fat will not cause you to keep fat cells. In the absence of insulin, fat is either used for energy or goes right through you. Eat up.

A great way to really tone up is resistance training. Any program that involves weights or resistance will start to build muscle which will help tone your bod and raise metabolism.

Just keep at it. Liposuction certainly does NOT seem fun.

Wishing you the best!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 00:54
Registered Member

Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Lightbulb Patience

I have the same ugly stuff and I think patience is the key. We just need to give our bodies the time to burn it all up... . It will get better as we approach our goal.

We can do this together !!!

Support = Success

Traci
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

You don't lose fat cells, you only reduce the size of them, and it can take weeks or months after burning fat for the cell to shrink to it's new size. Evidently, water frequently moves in to replace the volume of fat lost and you have to outwait it. BUT - keep exercising, and when the cells do resize, you will see the definition you've worked so hard to achieve. Resistance training is great for this, as is a five minute ab routine three times a week. Keep at it, you're worth it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:28

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

I had a lot of that 'cottage cheese' texture to my thighs 5 months ago. I have a lot less of that now. Just stick with it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:48

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Weight resistance exercises are the key, as well as lots of walking. It's working for me - I was very nervous about summer a few months back - now I'll wear my shorts with pride.

Vikki
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:50

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I have been wondering the same thing.
I am ready for the jiggly thighs to go away.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 11:46

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default absolutely.... keep it up...but

you need to lift weights! i'm finding the older i get the slower it is to firm up... gravity is hell! i have to increase my aerobic activity... u r an inspiration.
thanx
catherine
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 11:53

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Also, I found (when I first did Atkins and lost 35 pounds) that the fat changes texture on your body and becomes, well, squishier. I felt like I was melting!

I just figured it was the water taking the place of the fat I was burning, and eventually it all went away.

An realize fat will never firm up, but you will! Fat will just slowly go the way of the Dodo bird as you continue to eat right and exercise.

~Shelly
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 12:48

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

I had it when I was thirty-five lbs. heavier, and I have it now....

I think it will always be part of the landscape of my body - I had it even when I was too thin, and I am a 3-4 x week exerciser, have been for over 8 years. I am trying to make peace with it, but self-tanner helps in the summer!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 19:37
Registered Member

Stats: 202.5/177.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Great support

Thanks to everyone for their support - one reoccuring theme - resistant weight training. I've heard a lot about Curves , but haven't found the time to join yet. I will be off this summer, so I think I'll give it a try. I kind of feel like I'm getting squishier too, but maybe since I'm finally working on my body, I'm actually seeing it for the first time in a long time. I think I was ignoring it for too long. Thanks again to all who have offered advice. I'll let you know about eight weeks from now if there's any change. Maybe I will do some before and after pictures. ( Right now, I'd make a great celluite ad for some phony pill or cream)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 08:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

If you don't have time to join a club, do lunges and squats at home and arm exercises with soup cans. Seriously. You can also find low weight dumbells at any sporting goods store.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 08:38

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%

2 berners... that's what i did. over time i collected iron dunbbells. as i needed to go up in weights. i'd invest in another pair! i have weights ranging from 5-30 lb dumbbells it has worked out great to give me just that a great workout. my schedule is so busy that the gym just became impractical.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 09:08

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

You can get really cheap dumbells from Wal Mart. Do some squats and lunges, and you'll build muscle underneath the fat and kind of flatten the cellulite.

The best exercise I've found for leg shaping is a squat: stand with your legs shoulder-width apart, hold a pretty heavy dumbell, and squeeze your butt as hard as you can and squat down straight. (Go slow, both up and down.) After I'm tired of doing those, I spread my legs a little farther apart and do more - it shapes the insides of my thighs, the most jiggle-prone part.

This shapes up my entire upper leg area, as well as my behind. Building muscle is the only way I've ever seen anyone reduce cellulite.