Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 18:08

Plan: Atkins ("true" Induction since April 1)
Stats: 184.5/172/130
BF:yuck%/yuck%/yuck%
Progress: 23%
Default AUUGHHH!!! TOM brought 8lbs in TWO DAYS!!

Ok, I'm kinda freaking out here.

The day before yesterday , I was 172. I just stepped on the scale, and I'm 180!!!!!

The "rational" part of my brain is telling me that it's TOM (I'm on day 3 of TOM). And I did read some old threads on weight gain during TOM.....but 8 lbs sounds like SO MUCH????? Two weeks of weeks of weight loss GONE in only two days!!!

My calories and carbs have been kinda low lately. But, my fat percentages are good....averaging around 70%. Though I usually drink around 400oz of water, the past few days I've been drinking at least 100oz, which is supposedly right for my weight.
And, I've been SO exhausted this TOM.....I had to call in sick to work, and that never happens! So maybe that's all contributing??

My questions:
- Is 8lbs a normal weight gain for someone on TOM??
- After TOM is over, will I go back to my pre-TOM weight, or do I need to lose those 8lbs ALL OVER AGAIN??

So, I'm looking to the women here for some advice, encouragement and everything else this wonderful forum provides! Thank you in advance!!!!

Freakin' out,
Anshim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 18:10

Default By the way.....

I've been trying to add in raw flax-seeds into my daily meals.....I've been averaging about 3 tablespoons of seeds, ground in a coffee grinder.

I heard that flaxseeds help people to be more "regular". It hasn't happened to me yet.

Alina suggested in my journal (hi Alina!) that the flax seeds might be making me bloated. Has anyone else had that experience?

*sniffle*
Anshim
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 18:13

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Good grief, lady!! KEEP YOUR A$$ AWAY FROM THE SCALE for the whole week around TOM!!!!! Yes that kind of fluid retention is possible. I can EASILY fluctuate 5 pounds around TOM.

That is the one week that I have no problem not weighing!

Have you been taking supplements? I ask because you didn't mention...

I would also recommending upping your B complex vitamin intake and evening primrose supplements - they will help tremendously with TOM and fluid retention.

Everything is fine. Now is NOT the time to stress yourself even more! Take a chill, sister. You're right on.
Jinx
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 18:16

Are you grinding the flaxseeds?? That's what I would suggest...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 18:23

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Oh Jinx I had a good laugh at your reply

but she is 100% right, stay away from the scales when TOM visits, I can put on up to 5kgs (which is around 12 pounds) of fluid etc at that time of the month.... Weigh yourself NO MORE than once a week, that way you don't get freaked out by the regular everyday fluctuations in your body weight... oh and lots of people get a woosh after TOM so hopefully that will come for you too!

btw keep drinking that water, it is almost impossible to drink too much, so if you can drink 400oz then drink it !

Fiona
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 20:23

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Kinda gross, but don't forget-if you are not poopin' you are going to gain form holding it in storage, I would say that plus TOM could account for 8 lbs.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 22:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Yes, the TOM is one time I have no problem with not stepping on the scale (and I am an addicted-daily weigher). Now, I have also joined in MaryToU's Mother's Day Challenge, where we will not weigh ourselves until Mother's Day (and will be hoping for the whoosh fairy to leave us all with a Mother's Day present).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 23:48

Whew!

Well, thanks women for the responses/assurances. I did have quite a freak out moment there!!! lol Another "gift" of TOM.

MsJinx - yes, I did mention that I'm grinding the flaxseeds in a coffee grinder. Those things are pretty yummy.....though they haven't been very "productive" yet. As for supplements, I'm taking a boatload including b complex, a whole range of amino acids, multivit, calcium, etc, etc....but no evening primrose. I'll check that out next time I'm at Whole Foods....what exactly does the evening primrose do?

FionaC, dcbrowne and paradise - I'll definitely keep drinking the water, and *definitely* stay away from the scale! It's funny......I didn't feel bloated at all until I saw that scale! Talk about psychosomatic symptoms.....

Thanks again ladies!

Anshim
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 01:28

Evening primrose has to do with balancing the hormones. Helps with fibrocystic breasts, generally helps with cramps and the whole shebang. Sorry but I am unable to look it up at this particular moment (2:25 AM!)

Hope you're feeling better.

Jinx.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 06:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/227/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

It's nothing for me to gain 10# with that TOM, it comes right off though afterwards, so I would agree with staying away from the scale, why get yourself all worked up?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 06:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I still say scales are from the devil! :-) Stay AWAY!!!! They just wreak havoc in our lives!!!!