Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#166   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-08, 06:32
Carpe Diem

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/260/185 Male 70
BF:42/33.7/25
Progress: 40%

Hi Sissy, thank you for the encouragement. I bought a used Health O Meter beam scale on Sunday because the bathroom scale seemed to be reading all over the place. My experience has been (unfortunately I have done this before a few times) that success in the first 2 or 3 weeks points you in the right direction and an accurate scale keeps me on track.

Jay
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 13:55

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing today. Not much with me today. Finally got all my scarecrows out on the bench in the front yard along with some potted mums to. Its so hot here still and does not feel like Fall but at least it looks like it with all my decorations out in the yard. I also put some potted mums on the back patio to and some around the pool.

So not much else with me today, just me and the cat here and my cup of coffee. See you later.
  #168   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 19:51
Carpe Diem

Stats: 310/260/185 Male 70
BF:42/33.7/25
Progress: 40%
Question Eating away from home

Hi Sissy, Fall is in full swing here in WI too. Trees are turning and leaves are falling. Today was cool and wet as we slide into the dreaded WI winter.

I have a craft show on Saturday and I will be away from home all day. 3 or 4 of my eating events (my term) will take place at the show. I have an idea of what I will take with me, but I was curious as to what other people do when they are away from home for an extended period of time. Fast food is usually a diet killer for me so I have decided to carry what I need with me and eat my LC's out of my brown paper bag. If anyone has any ideas I would be interested in hearing them.

Joe
  #169   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 10:47

BF:

I know how eating out can ruin your low carb and healthy eating habits. I usually carry a cooler in the truck with diet soda's and some snacks like cheese cubes, fruit slices, bananas. I also like to carry a bag of prok rinds with me to and lots of water.
But if you do happen to buy a burger just pick at it and eat the meat and lettuce and tomato out of it. No one will ever know what you are doing.
I use to love to go to the craft shows in the Fall, i use to get most my Xmas gifts at that time but now I cannot walk to good with this arthritis in my knees so if we do go to a show I have to get my hubby to push me in my wheel chair.
You have fun at the craft show.
  #170   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 11:32

Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Welcome Jay!
I haven't checked in here in awhile. Was feeling depressed because I felt like I wasn't losing anything. Then last week one day I felt lighter so ventured checking the scale. Down 2 lbs.! That makes a total of 5 since end of July. But when I went to update my stats here, I see that makes a total of 13 since last spring!
Like you, I like to party on the weekends - pizza just goes with football, and rum and vanilla coke goes down good too! Consequently, if I'm going to continue that, I guess even with LCing durning the week, it will be a slow-go.
SO - CONGRATULATIONS on making the decision to make the necessary life-style changes! That is actually what a person really has to do, to get any real big results.
  #171   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 11:13

BF:

Cats, somettimes the week-ends really get me because we either eat out then or are having friends and family over to cook out. And youy know how much food can be aroubnd at those times and usually not healthy ones either. But I am trying hard to eat right in spite of it all. I am losing some weight but slowly. I still have so much more to lose but I am looking at the long term aspect of it and hoping in a year or so it will be all lost. Ijust want to get back into my size 14 again and I will be happy with that.

I know you probably don't have as much to lose as I do but may I ask what size you are looking to get down to? Are there any special ways you eat or cook to help you with your losing your weight? I have a problem with snacks, I love to snack and have been fighting with trying to do away with that because it will mess my eating up bad. Do you snack between means any? Idf so hat do you have? I have been eating fruit mostly.

Is cats our nick name or do you like Cats like I do? I only have one cat now and she is almost three years old but my old cat who was 17 yrs. old died last year and my young cat sure has missed him to. She looked all over the house for a long time for him after he passed. I was going to get another cat so she would not be alone but decided against it because she is so active and it takes all I can to keep her from destroying the house sometimes. Maybe when she is older and calms down some.

Not much else with me these days. Did get some Fall decorations out in the front yard and out by the pool to and they look nice. I love the fall decor but here where I live it is still so hot that its hard to get in the Fall mood. I put out some mums and my scarecrows to and a big lighted pumpkin out by the pool.
Cats do you decorate for the Holidays? My husband loves to decorate the outdoors for all the Holidays, and at Christmas I have to get after hime for putting out to much.

See you later.
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 15:57

I'm a real party pooper when it comes to seasonal decorating. I don't like messing with something that is up for such a short time. I did make a rather pretty centerpiece for my table for company dinner Saturday. I had 3 candles that are inside what looks like various shades of Birch wood, but it has like a copper linner in there. The candles are green, orange and kind of burgandy color and when lit inside those liners they look really pretty. BUT, I never really used them before as I didn't have anything to go with them. Went to the florist and paid $12 (yikes!) for a "sprig" that had greeen, brown and sort of gold leafs on it and like a brown fern thing. Anyhow, it came out nice. Other than that - no fall decorating for me.
Catsrus was really just the 1st thing that popped into my mind way back years ago when I first used internet and needed a user name. At the time I had a cat, but he was 19 years old. He is no longer with me and I'm gone so often on weekends that I decided not to get another pet of any kind.
Sizes - seems like they run from too big to too small. I shop the racks anywhere from 12 - 16 right now. I want to get to usually being a 12 that can maybe find a 10 once in awhile!
BF's birthday is on halloween, so we want to do some partying. I'm having a bit of a time finding a costume as they either come in 1 "adult" size which is supposed to fit up to 12, or Large which is 10-12 (how they think that's large is beyond me) or Plus size which is supposed to fit 16-22. He ordered 3 for me to try on - they are all getting sent back, too small (and also too skimpy even if they weren't so dang tight). I ordered a couple that at least appear to cover more, if they are just big enough. I may end up wipping something up on the sewing machine myself - which I don't really want to take the time to do. He's going a an "evil jester" and I can't think of any female costume that would go with that. Any ideas?
As far as snacks - during the day, my only option is what I have with me at work, so that's either boiled eggs, yogurt, or carrotts. At home, I try to have some humus made up and use it like a dip for either celery or broccoli. It's just me, so I don't keep any junk food on hand - other than after I've had company, like right now. I plan to take the left over spice cake to work for the crew to get it eaten up, 'cause just like right now - I'm kinda' thinking a piece sounds real good. Oh, I have found SB bars at the dollar store for $3 for 6, so I stocked up on them. They are higher carb than Atkins, but cheaper. I don't eat them on a regular basis, but do keep them on hand for snacking and also try to have one in my purse for emergencies; so that I don't do something clear off the wagon when "starving" and no LC food to be found.
For me, getting into the groove of exercise is the real problem. I work fairly early hours and I'm a morning person, so even though there's a good 5 hours after I get home; I pretty much waste them.
  #173   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 12:47

BF:

Just checking in. I made up some tiny ham rolls to have to snack on today. I take a slice of ham and roll cream cheese mixed with green onions in it and then slice it into thin pieces. I jusat use one slice of ham, thats enough for a snack .
So far my eating is going ok but I cannot do much exercise because of some health problem with my back so I swim in the pool and do water exercise mostly. I know if I could walk better and do more exercise I would probably lose my weight faster.

We don't go out on Halloween, we just stay home and give out candy. My husband has this ol black wide brim hat he will put on when he gives out candy and the kids thinks he is funny. The hat looks like one of those worn by the amish men. It has a wide brim on it. He came homeone day years ago with it from a garage sale he went to.
  #174   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 13:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I'm a real party pooper when it comes to seasonal decorating.

Me too! The Grinch had more decorations up than I do.
  #175   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 08:03

Yesterday was not a good LC day for me. I'm slightly depressed, so therefore came home from work, ate, watched t.v., ate more, and ate more, and ate more, then went to bed.
  #176   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 10:40

BF:

Hi Nancy and cats. Cats sorry you did not have a good LC day yesterday. Heck I have those all the time.

Most times I can get right back to eating right with the LC but lately I have been struggling sme with it. We go out to eat so much and go to friends homes to and eat at church to so I am around food all the time and yes, sometimes its really hard for me to eat LC.
I try my best but sometimes I fail like I guess we all do at time but we have to just keep looking forward to the future and when we lose all our weight, thats what keeps me going is to see what I will look like a year or so from now and now let today get me down.
  #177   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 08:38

It's cold and rainy here and I know that's why I'm in hibernation mode. Again last night, eat, eat, eat and sleep. I had a nap from 4:30 - 6 and went to bed at 9:30 and when I was awake all I did was eat. I had taken a dexi-trim max, which is supposed to prevent that, but it didn't have any effect (except maybe to contribute to a negative outlook on life). I just don't know how to get motivated about exercise or even about doing projects around the house and stuff.
  #178   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 11:25

BF:

Cats its pretty and sunny and warm here today. I was out side earlier having muy coffee on the patio. Was going to get in the pool for a short swim but the water was cool this morning, maybe later he sun will warm it up some.
Wish you was here with me, You could do your exercise in the pool like I do.
I use to love to exercise but now as I am older and have all this arthritis its hard to walk to do much except water exercises. Right now the weather has been real hot here so I have been swimming in our own pool but when it gets cooler weather I go up to the aquatic club to swim and exercise.
If you like to swim I bet your town or city has a aquatic club to join. Water exercises works out your whole body and its so much fun to especially with a gorup of women.

Not much else with me today Cats, just the same as always.
Take care.
  #179   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 11:41

Sissy, I had noticed that you are in sunny Fl and Nancy is in warm CA. I wish I was either one of those places!!! And I love to swim. But I live in a really small rural town. The only indoor pool here is at the girls' juvinille prison. It is open to the public one night a week for lap swimming, but I just don't like to go out in the cold to go swim + since it's at a prison, there's no electrical outlets for blow drying my hair afterward, so then it's out into the cold with a wet head. Just doesn't make it a very fun activity. But hey! Enjoy the pool there and send some of that sunshine up here!!!
  #180   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 10:35

BF:

SENDING YOU SOME SUNSHINE

Cats. i'll just send you some of our snshine here. Its warm here most year round, we hardly get any cool weather. If we do its only fo a day or two when one of those cold fronts dip down to far our way from Canada. But thats not often. i never wear a heavy coat, i just wear long sleeve or a light knit jacket if I get cool.
I love my swimming, I swim most everyday. Its really the only exercise I can do will all my arthritis in my kneess and back. Walking hurts to bad, wish I could though.
Closed Thread