Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:07
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default BFL Newbie - couple of questions

Right, I'm starting BFL exercise properly on Sunday. I have two goals.... loose fat and gain muscle. I am planning to stay on Atkins for the moment at least.

From reading some bbuilding forums it seems these goals are sort of polar opposites, especially while limiting carbs - anyone have any opinions on that?

Worst case I can accept that I can do BFL with Atkins to loose weight and gain strength, then can look at BFL with BFL diet or similar in the sort of bulking/cutting cycle type thing - I've heard that you're better to loose the fat first, then workout while doing highish carbs, protein and calories to pack on the muscle - does that sound right ?

Given my dual goals etc, and my available time, I'm doing my workouts first thing in the morning (6.30 ish) and I'm doing them fasted (both weights & HIIT). I'm taking Saturday off workout (but not having a "cheat day" off Atkins) which gives me a couple of choices on Sunday - workout fasted in the am the same as every other day (although this could give me problems because I'm through with my daughter overnight once a month and not back till Sunday afternoon), or workout after eating loads later into the day..... I'm thinking that if I've been eating and it's later in the day, I should be stronger so could go heavier on these..... so I'd basically go:-

Heavy UBWO
CV
Lighter LBWO
CV
Lighter UBWO
CV
Off
Heavy LBWO
CV
Lighter UBWO
CV
Lighter LBWO
CV
Off

Does that sound like it would be useful?

Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 12:48
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogieb
Right, I'm starting BFL exercise properly on Sunday. I have two goals.... loose fat and gain muscle. I am planning to stay on Atkins for the moment at least.

From reading some bbuilding forums it seems these goals are sort of polar opposites, especially while limiting carbs - anyone have any opinions on that?
I was reading an interview with Bill Phillips were this subject was brought up and he took exception to it. Why? Because he sees people loosing fat and gaining muscle all the time. Just look at all the before and after pictures.

I personally think there is merit in the cutting/bulking approach for pro bodybuilders. But anyone overweight or new to weightlifting can definately both loose fat and gain muscle at the same time. After a person gets down below 10-15% bodyfat that might change.

Quote:

I'm taking Saturday off workout (but not having a "cheat day" off Atkins)
When I was doing Atkins and BFL a cheat day for me allowed me some Atkin's allowed junk food and I didn't bother with worrying about 6 meals a day. That was a nice break and I looked forward to it.
Quote:

which gives me a couple of choices on Sunday - workout fasted in the am the same as every other day (although this could give me problems because I'm through with my daughter overnight once a month and not back till Sunday afternoon), or workout after eating loads later into the day..... I'm thinking that if I've been eating and it's later in the day, I should be stronger so could go heavier on these..... so I'd basically go:-

Heavy UBWO
CV
Lighter LBWO
CV
Lighter UBWO
CV
Off
Heavy LBWO
CV
Lighter UBWO
CV
Lighter LBWO
CV
Off

Does that sound like it would be useful?

Thanks for listening
This might be little more complicated than need be. In BFL we attempt to hit a level 10 intensity in every set, so I think that specifying certain workouts as lighter days may not give the same results. Or maybe I don't understand what your saying here.

Good Luck,
Arnie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 13:28

BF:

Thanks Arnie.

What I mean by heavy and lighter days is that I will still give it level 10, just if I work out that level 10 on a Sunday afternoon for d/b bench press for example is x lbs heavier than I can do for level 10 on a Thursday at 6.30 am, would that give me an advantage over doing it Sunday 6.30am..... just thinking of the old "heavier weights means bigger muscles" things I've heard.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 13:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_g
I was reading an interview with Bill Phillips were this subject was brought up and he took exception to it. Why? Because he sees people loosing fat and gaining muscle all the time. Just look at all the before and after pictures.

I personally think there is merit in the cutting/bulking approach for pro bodybuilders. But anyone overweight or new to weightlifting can definately both loose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Yay!... I look forward to hopefully proving that it's possible
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 15:55

Plan: BFL
Stats: 167/162/167 Male 6'3
BF:13%/10.4%/10%
Progress:

Hi Doogie,

I usually workout in the morning also, although before my weights I have had my porridge and scrambled egg. But there isn't enough time for it to effect my system properly.

I dont go into these workouts thinking I will lift lighter, I just stick to the weights I have been doing regardless and never really have any problems.

But you should adjust it during the workout if you feel a 10 coming on sooner

On the heavier weights/bigger muscles thing, I posted a link to a gymnastic paper in the general exercise forum (look for a post by londanian I think it was called 'strength v stamina' or something) it is in there. It was originally posted by LisaS.

Anyway it goes on about the different types of weight training and the effects on strength and muscle size.

Summary:
Very few reps and heavy weights (1 rep max and all that): Better strength least muscle increase (ideal for gymnasts, all the strength without the bulk)

then there is the 8-12 reps x 3 sets type lifting and the loads of reps, smaller weights type lifting: Both of these produce very similar results, less strength but more muscle mass.

Have a read of it, see what you think.

Mike
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 02:16

BF:

Cool, thanks. I'll try not to think about that too hard

I'll go and read that link, thanks.

I did my trial LBWO this morning.... I dramatically underestimated how much I could do on leg press, so ended up doing some extra sets in there just to try and gauge the right weight.

I ignored Bill's ab-work and did the core routine which my PT recommended with a stability ball for lower back, sides and incline crunches.... reasonably similar, but I get to use the cool mad balls