Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 01:31

Plan: 40-40-20
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default AM running - pre workout meal

Hi

I know there are a lot a various opinions about running on en EMPTY STOMACH or not.
Well, I've done both, and as I still don't know if fast running is that bad, I prefer adding a whey shake 30min before I run.

Is a whey protein shake (with water) (2 carbs in my whey) a good/sufficient preworkout meal?

I'm doing either HIIT for 20min, or fast inclined brisk walk for 30min.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 09:15

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

In my view, the best pre-workout meals (if within 30 minutes) would be something high in carbs (starch) with no fat, protein, or fructose (fruits).

The ideal workout foods given your time parameter would be something like a piece of white bread, white rice, potato, or even a donut. Something you aborb quickly to use for energy in 30 min.

I think the protein after the run is better than before.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Immediately after a workout the body is primed to absorb carbs and proteins. It all goes into the muscles with nothing left over to stimulate insulin. If you eat carbs right before the workout you should be able to do a higher quality workout. Carbs are the only thing that can make you run faster or simply not feel exhausted at the end of the workout. The whey gives you NO effective carbs. But it gives you enough protein to prevent muscle damage. You'd probably have a better workout if you add some carbs to the whey.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 05:15

BF:

Thanks for your answers/
My question was not complete though, I wanted to say "is a whey shake a good preworkout meal to prevent muscle loss".
That's my main concern.
Actually, I'm used to run either on an empty stomach or just with a whey shake and I do good. (don't feel tired, exhausted..)

I just fear the muscle loss and I've been reading lots of articles that claim running on an empty stomach makes your body use the energy from the muscles.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 10:18

Plan: 40/30/30 - BFFM
Stats: 153/115/116 Female 61"
BF:>36%/15%/<20
Progress: 103%

Marie,
I do just a small whey shake in lowfat milk pre-run and it does me fine. Now that I am leaner, I do find that sometimes I need the extra carbs. You're probably doing great with the shake.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 11:09

BF:

rvcook,
I'd love to have a look at your diet, and workouts.
Would you mind posting it? (or PM if you prefer).
Your daily calorie intake, when you take your carbs intake etc..
How many times per week you're lifting weight and how many times per week you're doing cardio (and which cardio workout).

That would be very nice from you.
I know everybody's different, but I learn a lot having a look at how others organize their program.

Thanks in advance!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie2006
rvcook,
I'd love to have a look at your diet, and workouts.
Would you mind posting it? (or PM if you prefer).
Your daily calorie intake, when you take your carbs intake etc..
How many times per week you're lifting weight and how many times per week you're doing cardio (and which cardio workout).

That would be very nice from you.
I know everybody's different, but I learn a lot having a look at how others organize their program.

Thanks in advance!

Marie-
I eat a very 'clean' diet consisting of lean meat, fish and poultry, low-fat dairy products and LOTS of low to medium-glycemic fruits and veggies. Concentrated carbs consist of oats, cooked barley, sweet potatoes and sometimes brown rice. I also eat lots of veggies, just about every single one you can think of and have some fruit at least once per day like grapefruit, oranges, apples, berries, peaches, plums, etc. I do NOT eat bananas, too high for me, but my husband enjoys them in his post-workout shake.

I ALWAYS supplment with Whey protein since it has been shown to be quite effective in weight loss, but I also aim for REAL food meals as much as possible. And notice that I eat most of my concentrated carbs earlier in the day. This too has been very helpful for me.

My macros are based on the Zone, but I have tweaked the calories and macros to reflect my needs based on my goals. The Zone is 40/30/30, my macros are more 35/35/30. I average 1300-1500 calories per day. I do NOT depend a lot of pre-made food and make most of our meals from scratch. I do NOT do a "cheat" meal every month and if I do one, it is usually just an extended version of a regular 'clean' meal.

Here is one of my usual workout days:

Pre-workout
1/2 serv. chocolate whey protein
4 fl. oz. low-fat soymilk

Post-workout
1/2 serv. chocolate whey protein
4 fl. oz. low-fat soymilk

Breakfast
2/3 c. Fiber cereal
2 TB vanilla protein powder
1 1/2 TB sliced almonds
2/3 C. low-fat soymilk
2 TB ground flaxseed

Lunch
1/2 C. eggbeaters
1 slice 2% cheese
2 TB hot salsa
1 LC whole wheat tortilla
10g whole almonds
8 oz. grapefruit

Snack
Light 'n Fit yogurt (any flavor)
7 almonds
1 TB vanilla protein powder

Dinner
6 oz. turkey/beef meatloaf
2 TB LC ketchup
2 C. cooked broccoli
HUGE salad consisting of mixed greens, red pepper, onion, cukes and 2 TB light Italian dressing

Cals: 1495
Carb: 166g (33%)
Fiber: 49g
Pro: 126g (35%)
Fat: 50g (32%)

My non-workout days are usually lighter on the calories. And I use nutritional software to help me plan my meals, tweak my macros and stay within my calorie allotment.

Right now, I am changing around my workout routine. I have recently decreased my cardio from 3 x's per week to 2 x's per week and alternate between HIIT one day and interval one day. I am increasing my weight routine now that I have reached my goal weight and am focusing more on building muscle. I am splitting my usual 2 day routine into a 3 day split and will be increasing the weight and decreasing the reps. I think that these changes will help increase muscle mass and size. I'll probably make some adjustments once I get started, but this is a general idea of how I'll split it up:

Back and biceps

Chest and triceps

Legs and abs

Remember, I am NOT a bodybuilder and have only designed this program to suit MY needs. It may not be representative of what others are doing. I hope it helps you.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 04:42

BF:

thanks rvcook !

that gives me a good idea of how you're organizing the whole thing.

Is this the diet you've been using to go from 153 to your current weight? or is it the diet you're using right now to MAINTAIN, now that you've reach your goal weight?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 09:46

Quote:
thanks rvcook !

that gives me a good idea of how you're organizing the whole thing.

Is this the diet you've been using to go from 153 to your current weight? or is it the diet you're using right now to MAINTAIN, now that you've reach your goal weight?

This is the nutritional program that I have been on since starting at 153 lbs. I had previously been on Atkins for over 2 years and had lost a little and then regained everything and MORE! This program is the only program that has provided me with consistent weight loss over the past 11 months, which is how long it took me to lose the 38 lbs.

I was always of the mindset that a LC diet would be my ticket to a leaner physique and developing more muscle. However, little did I know at the time, that because I been "LC dieting" for over 2 years, I had probably lost more muscle than if I had just remained at the 148 lbs. that I started at. From Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle (BFFM):

"When your carbohydrates are too low and your caloires are also low, the result is almost always muscle loss. So to offset the drop in carbohydrates and keep your calories above "starvation level," your protein intake must be increased - sometimes to very high levels. Exactly what ratio of protein to carbohydrate you take in depends entirely on your type of metabolism and can only be determined by trial and error."

Well, I certainly didn't have any problem with low calories since I was overeating protein, but the metabolism part of that statement really struck me. So I began doing more research into metabolic types and discovered that based on my 'type' I shouldn't have been doing such extreme LC - I should have been doing a more modified program, incorporating more good carbs. Once I did that, the pounds began to drop.

I am not suggesting that this program is THE program for everyone, but if a person is stalled or is looking to gain more energy or muscle mass, then perhaps looking at 'tweaking' your food choices and macronutrient ratios makes sense. It did for me and it certainly did for my husband, who's gone from 257 to 192 in the same amount of time
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: Standard Keto
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6 FT 1 IN
BF:33/33/16
Progress: 0%

Do not eat a friggen donut.. It's never good if you're trying to lose weight. Ever.

Yes, whey shake is great. Good source of protein, and will fill you up and hydrate you. Simple carb still better, but combine a scoop of whey with a banana or piece of white bread. Or better yet - a banana sandwich.. mmmmm
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-06, 01:10

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpiro
Simple carb still better, but combine a scoop of whey with a banana or piece of white bread. Or better yet - a banana sandwich.. mmmmm

And, the difference between this and a donut is what?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-06, 13:19

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%

Quote:
My question was not complete though, I wanted to say "is a whey shake a good preworkout meal to prevent muscle loss".
That's my main concern. ...

YES. Adequate protein throughout the day is equally as important.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-06, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: Standard Keto
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6 FT 1 IN
BF:33/33/16
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
And, the difference between this and a donut is what?

You are what you eat. 200 cals from a banana and bread is NOT the same as 200 cals from a donut. Sorry.