Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 09:27

Plan: M&E, Atkins!
Stats: 240/219.2/180 Female 5ft8in
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Wii Fit

Now this came out in the UK 2 days ago and i bought one... WOW its amazing you know you get your own personal trainer and its fantastic i felt a difference

It also takes your weight BMI etc tracks all your excersize on and off the wii!

Very cool I highly reccommend this!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 13:26

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I so want one ... just waiting for it!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 14:34

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I've heard very good things about it. A hardcore BB friend has been telling me I'd love it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 14:48

BF:

Yeah ive just come off doing 30min of it now..

its great tracks your weight... sleep etc. Very good for you has lots of tips and the excersizes are for all ages sizes and levels. Doing well unlocks new games and moves..

very encouraging..

You get a Personal trainer who leads you through yoga and work outs.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 15:11

I preordered one on Amazon ...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 15:19

BF:

Yeah im pretty lucky in the UK they released it so much earlier then USA
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-04-08, 16:55

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I might ask for this for my bday in September. In the mean time, Dance Dance Revolution really gets my heart pumpin'!!!!

(Oh, and the new Mario Kart kicks serious booty! Not very helpful for exercise, but still, damn fun!)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 15:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%

Did anyone get this today! I did...OMG it's great. My favorite thing ever..I've unlocked several new things. My favorites are the running in place (they give you a mii to follow), hula hooping, soccer ball dodging, and step exercising. I haven't gotten to the yoga yet. It's so funny..when it weighed me, my mii went plump! LOL. You can also have a password if you don't want the rest of your family knowing your weight or BMI. You can set goals and it shows your progress. It also keeps track of how much you exercise. ( I have a feeling some exercise equipment may be getting a little lonely for a while) Awesome....Awesome...Awesome!
Anybody else loving it as much as I am?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 16:47

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm less thrilled with my Wii Fit than I expected to be. Skip this post if you don't want to read anything bad about it.

Things I'm not loving:

You have to pick each exercise one-by-one, with lots of button-mashing on the remote in between. The game has no option to build a whole workout routine. My previous experience with this kind of console game was Yourself!Fitness, which would let you choose the amount of time you wanted to exercise, the equipment you had, and then it would build a whole workout for you.

Wii Fit, by contrast, seems to be based on WiiSports, which means that you *have* to hit the "A" button to advance the game about every 2-3 minutes, even if just to do the same exercise a second time. So the remote has to be in-hand or close by at all times, and you have to stop and pick your next exercise every single time--but first you must wait for the game to show you your WiiSports-style rank, and then to play the piggy-bank animation (how much time you've spent in the game). Which all adds up to not feeling like you're really doing a workout routine.

The game constantly harrangues me about my balance, which, fair enough, my balance sucks...but it feels like an ongoing advertisement for how awesome their balance board peripheral is.

And speaking of that, I'm not sure how sensitive the thing actually is as a scale--my digital scale registered about a 1lb loss today, WiiFit tells me I weigh *exactly* the same as yesterday, which seems unlikely given normal variations. I suppose my digital scale could be to blame.

Overall, I actually have found Yourself!Fitness to be significantly more robust in terms of tailoring/developing an exercise program for an individual without making them have to click through a million menus. I'll keep trying out WiiFit, especially since my balance *is* abysmal, but my hope is that some other developer will eventually come out with a fitness title that uses the board peripheral and is not based on the WiiSports format.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 17:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

as you unlock you get to do the stuff more and more is my understanding!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 19:08

I got mine last night - I'm enjoying it a lot! Gwynne's evaluation is accurate - but it depends on what you're looking for. This is a way to exercise without it seeming like exercise.

The only problem I have with the running - is that my house is not on a slab foundation so the house shakes when I run in place.

What's odd is that I'm normally somewhat sensitive about being obese - yet when WiiFit labeled me that - I laughed because of the animation.

I give WiiFit a B+/A-.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 21:46

Has anyone got through the tightrope one? How do you keep from getting chomped on by that thing?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 00:06

BF:

LOL ive unlocked the whole thing.. Ive had the wii now for over a month.

Tightrope thing.. You bend your knees and extend.

Not sure what your talking about with the A button.. I rarely use it.. Or the remote..

The excersizes dont require you to use the A button...

And remember your scale is prolly on a carpet therefore wont be as accurate as a floor.

also the wii fit IMO is very accurate with the scale.. Remember it does ask you about clothing etc.

Once you unlock everything.. you can do more excersize without the piggy bank etc.. you earn your way to Advance with gives you more reps etc. I enjoy the fact that i have the piggy bank allows me to see how much ive done I feel rewarded

With regards to balance.. My Trainer has ALWAYS said you dojnt get the most fat burning or effect from fitness unless your balance is great. and ive learned over the last month how to do that.

My balance now with the will is 49% 51% which is REALLY good considering i think before I was like 60 40

Also.. Try the step areobics.. Im on the super advanced WHAT A great work out. THe step areobics and jogging when you unlock them allow you to do a Free style (i.e as long as you want etc to music or to the TV)

Overall this ISNT ment to replace a gym.. but for those people who are shy or just want some sort of activity its ment for that..

A lot of retirement homes in the UK have the wii fit.. as you can see from the yoga etc an eldery person can do this.. it has a break so your not tiring yourself out

I do a yoga workout EVERY morning!

If your looking for continues Hardcore muscle workout the WII fit ISNT for yoU!! go to a gym!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 06:44

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefjen
Not sure what your talking about with the A button.. I rarely use it.. Or the remote..

The excersizes dont require you to use the A button...

And remember your scale is prolly on a carpet therefore wont be as accurate as a floor.

Well, I mean the fact that the exercises themselves only last 2-3 minutes each, and then you must click through *many* screens to start a new exercise. Breaks up the flow for me (but again, this may be because I was used to a different workout program that was actually quite similar to wii fit, but strung all the exercises together (including rest breaks) into a workout with a length and focus of your choice). I wasn't looking for a hardcore workout (I lift weights for that), just an uninterrupted one.

I realize all the clicking may not bother some people--but if they've come from anything like Yourself!Fitness (like I did), they may be expecting functionality that isn't there.

As for the carpet, I use the risers. But you may be right.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 08:29

I've unlocked several more..I just got the advanced step open, not too good at it, but hey i'm stepping, right?

I made it all the way across the tight rope this morning, with 1 step to finish and the clock ticked out of time.

I'm really liking it...it's making exercise fun. I like the way it tracks your weight and BMI on the graph too. I have lost 2 lbs since I got it.

I understand what you mean with the A button. I keep putting the remote down and having to pick it back up to push A. I have noticed though if you hit retry, you don't have to go through all of it again, if you want to do the same exercise.