Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 08:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Meat...Pasta (GI experts)

Hello.

<b>Meat</b>
Would someone be kind enough to clarify how you'd look at meat on this type of plan?
Montignac and sugar Busters look at glycemic index. I am from the Atkins school (not pure and core but that is my feeble background...)

I looked at the Glycemic List from the mondesera site...I do not see anything about meat (piece of steak...etc....)...err....i saw ravioli with meat...

<b>Pasta:</b>
Who cooks pasta for only 5 minutes!!!?? I see that the more you cook them the higher their GI.

Funny how foods play with our body.........

Ciao....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:00
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default Bonjour Eva

Hey Girl Glad you made it over here!!!!

Meat is ok - pure proteins are all ok - beware deli meats, sausage etc (same as atkins here) - Pasta - well the 5 min. is maybe a bit too el dente maybe depending on the shape of pasta, I know he specifies spaghetti is best but on further reading it turns out that also the type of wheat is very important - he says it must be durham semolina - well I don't know about Europe, but here all dried pasta seems to be made from that. Fresh is another story- and the extrusion well I can see how the shape comes in there. I used to not time my pasta and it was always slightly el dente, the last time I timed it and 5 min. was waaaay to "el dente"(to the tooth) - more like "el break a dente" So I let it go about 7 minutes - just don't let it get to soft - also you can (if you can find it use whole wheat pasta or mix it) I checked and found some whole wheat pasta that was also using the durham semolina wheat. One note, so far I have only found menus using tomatoe or vegetable sauce with pasta - no meat sauce (I guess it might be because he is expecting the fat content of the meat sauce to be high - but he is unclear on that)

Check your journal I left you info.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Meat...Pasta (GI experts)

Quote:
Originally posted by eva123
I looked at the Glycemic List from the mondesera site...I do not see anything about meat (piece of steak...etc....)...err....i saw ravioli with meat...
:
Eva, the GI is a measure of foods that cause changes in insulin levles, AKA carbohydrates. Proteins would not be on that list, because they are not carbohydrates

While exessive protien can be turned into glucose by the body, and many diabetics are senstive to excessive levels of protein, this is not an issue when you're LCing - the process by which proteins are turned into glucose (gluconeogensis) is done in the absence of insulin.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 15:21

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Meat doesn't have a GI which is why you won't find it on a GI chart. That doesn't mean you should eat just meat and nothing else.

New Glucose Revolution explains it better (this is where Mendosa site got most of his info)