Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-05, 20:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.2/246.2/145 Female 5'5
BF:2much
Progress: 0%
Default Yoga!

Does anyone do it on a regular basis. Some people have told me that it definitely burns a lot of calories and helps you lose weight, but other tell me to stick to arobic exercises first. Im considering paying for a few classes so I dont know if i should
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 08:11

Plan: CAD & Atkins mix
Stats: 243.5/230/160 Female 6'0
BF:
Progress: 16%

HI!

I'm new to this board but I thought I'd reply to your post here.

I use a combination of yoga with deep yogic breathing (like BodyFlex and Oxycise). I personally think it's the best thing around, especially for people like me who are not (yet) into sweating heavily.....I can tell you that a few years ago I did BodyFlex for 2 weeks and lost 6 inches on my waist bringing me into a size 10 from a 14!!!! (Yeah.. I have gained it back but I'm started the journey again for the LAST TIME)!

I plan to use the yogic breathe yoga poses like this everyday... it's really amazing and I ALREADY see my arms firming up and my butt can tell it too (from how it feels = a bit sore!)

Yoga is really good for toning you up and strengthening your body. I think alot of us in the west overlook it but it really DOES help you lose inches and pounds.. especially with BofyFlex or Oxycise where your working your breathe pattern as well.

Warmly,
160me!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 14:35

Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

I just received a "Budokon" dvd. It is a combination of Yoga, Martial Arts and Meditation. I think it is pretty cool so far. I have only done it twice. I am thinking about getting something more with Yoga. I have also done Pilates and now I am really wonder exactly what the difference is between Yoga and Pilates except for some of the moves they both seem to test your strength along with a good amount of stretching.
I also do my fair share of other workouts like "Total Body Sculpt with Gilad" from FitTV and "Tae-Bo" and sometimes if something catches my interest on the FitTV channel I do that too! I try to mix up cardio along with the Pilates and Budokon.
Since I have started working out I am getting totally addicted!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-05, 23:34
Registered Member

Plan: don't be a greedy bastard
Stats: 243/214/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 46%

i tried it a couple of times but i wasn't flexible enough.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 05:32

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebrate

Hi am just skimming around the excersise post and noticed this one. This comment made me laugh because the point of doing yoga is to increase flexibility. Maybe vertebrate you could try a less intensive style. There are lots out there.

From my experience I was very 'not' flexible until i was fortunate enough to share a house with a yogini (female yoga instructor) Anyway she used to go at it for 2 hours + a day and so one day I asked if I could do it with her. Once I got into it I too became flexible. I went from only being able to tough my shins to being able to bend over and place my palms flat on the ground.

I hadn't done it for ages and recently started up again and surprisingly it doesn't take too long to be able to get flexible.

Lastly I just want to share something from years ago when I was in my early 20's (many years ago actually )

I don't know how but I was talked into going to a nude beach. One of the women there really wowed me when she took her gear off. She didn't look too special clothed but naked I could see she was increadibly toned. Women notice things like celutite etc. This woman for her age (mid 30's) had a body that made me want to get dressed again. Her secret was Yoga!

Yoga is great for the body mind and soul because it helps internally massage the organs as well as pump oxygen and relax the mind. It's good stuff. I'm planning to make it part of my regime as I only just started my LC program 3 weeks ago so i'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 06:48

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyRay
She didn't look too special clothed but naked I could see she was increadibly toned. Women notice things like celutite etc. This woman for her age (mid 30's) had a body that made me want to get dressed again. Her secret was Yoga!

Great testimonial. I couldn't go to a nude beach, even if I was my goal weight. I give you a lot of respect and enjoyed your story.

Signed,
Yoga Fan!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 10:28

Plan: combination
Stats: 140/123/120 Female 5'7"
BF:24.2%
Progress: 85%

Quote:

Me too! I thought I had found THE exercise for me. Nice and slow and not all sweaty and energetic. First I had a hard time figuring out how to get my breathing right. I'm the kind of person who can't swim because I can't even coordinate my breathing with moving my arms. Then I noticed I couldn't even do the basic sitting positions because I can't get my right leg to lay down. Pretty bad when you can't even do beginning yoga

So whaddya do to get flexible enough to do beginning yoga?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 12:06

Stats: 163/157.8/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieo
Me too! I thought I had found THE exercise for me. Nice and slow and not all sweaty and energetic. First I had a hard time figuring out how to get my breathing right. I'm the kind of person who can't swim because I can't even coordinate my breathing with moving my arms. Then I noticed I couldn't even do the basic sitting positions because I can't get my right leg to lay down. Pretty bad when you can't even do beginning yoga

So whaddya do to get flexible enough to do beginning yoga?

With the Lina Arkin videos, you can go at your own pace. I'm not very flexible (getting a little more so). I used to want to do Yoga but I would try to keep up with those who were on the morning television programs and there was NOOO WAYYY! It may sound a bit dramatic but Yoga has changed my life. You just have to start at the beginning. You wouldn't run a 10 mile marathon without training and conditioning your body. It's important to stay where you are comfortable... your body changes slowly and in a healthy way. Yoga is demanding but the benefits are better health, a more oxygenated body, better circulation, better digestion, feeling better with more energy, etc, etc, etc....

To get flexible enough for beginning Yoga, you modify the movements. Bend your knees instead of trying to bend straight down to touch the floor (or even your ankles if you're like me). I would recommend the videos that I mentioned. I can't do all of the ones in the "Natural Healing" video because my flexibility and balance are not at that level... I also haven't done the whole 'strength' video all the way through. If you have back problems, I would highly recommend the 'Natural Healing" one.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 12:27

Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

I've done yoga on and off for quite a few years now. The yoga studio near me that I go to regularly on and off (they have a package deal where you buy several classes at a discount...I'm between packages right now ) does what is called "Power Yoga". they keep the room warm (though not as hot as in hot or bikram yoga), and it's a pretty intense and yet surprisingly relaxing work out. I always feel great when I leave. And the next day or so my muscles tell me they've been working hard, especially my arms and my abs.

I agree that you should go to a studio first. And there are several reasons for this. For one, you will not be doing the postures correctly. You can watch the person on the video all you want, but you can't see yourself. You need an instructor to help you learn the positions. And also, when you start out (as others have pointed out) you will not be as flexible as the person on the video is. A yoga instructor can help you modify the poses until you can do them correctly.

My yoga studio has an introductory thing where you buy 3 lessons for $20 so you try them out and see if you like it. I'd say if you're interested in yoga, call a studio and see what they offer. There are many different kinds, and many different teachers. You might have to look around and figure out what you like in your area.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 20:28

Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

I had a bit of a yoga triumph today and thought I'd share it with any other yoga enthusiasts out there.

We sometimes do a twisting pose from Utkatasana, for example, where, with hands in prayer position, we bring our left elbow to the outside of our right knee and look over our right shoulder...

Well today was the first time since starting up yoga again that I could get my elbow to the outside of my knee, normally, it would rest on my knee!!!

AND I got my foot up on my thigh for tree pose instead of down by my ankle.

If anyone is wondering what Utkatasana is, I've found a helper to demonstrate:
http://www.bushyoga.com/pose,pose-utkatasana.htm
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 12:13

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

I am a believer in Yoga. I started a couple years ago REALLY a beginner and not very flexible. I prefer to go to a gym or studio for the majority of my practice, then supplement at home with videos. If you want a very basic beginner yoga video for home try one from Yoga Zone or Seane Corn. Sean Corns is kinda long a drawn out, but it is fantastic in the detail she gives and she moves slowly enough (Her video is called Vinyasa Flow Yoga for beginners, I think). Rodney Yee is fab too but tends to move faster, so you can use his when you want more challenge!
Did I say I LOVE YOGA?
It is saving my life now that my dad has cancer again and my son and I have autoimmune diseases that challenge us. The stress reduction alone is tops, but the physical workout is incredible. You do ot have to be flexible, you have to be patient and gentle with yourself.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 12:52

Quote:
you have to be patient and gentle with yourself.

Gee, how did you know that's what I need to work on! I have all the Yoga Zone dvds. They're wonderful! I just got discouraged on the first one (Introduction to Yoga with Alan Finger) because I was so sidetracked with trying to figure out why my leg wouldn't go down and how to adapt I couldn't concentrate on the poses. My inner thigh (hip flexor?) won't relax properly so I can sit crosslegged. Should I do the poses with my legs out in front instead? Should I quit doing yoga for the time being and work on opening up that joint? Should I give up yoga and try weight lifting? Would pilates be easier? What's on tv?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 13:59

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

My yoga instuctor gives students who cannot cross leg sit to use props. You can sit on a folded towel or blanket under you sit bones area which bring your hips up and allows your knees to be lower. You don't have to do the moves perfectly, just slowly and carefully. Modification is the key. If you cannot do a position, get close as you can without feeling pain or stress. Theres no reaso to hurt yourself!
Like what I did early on, when we were practicing headstand preparation moves(what I was thinking I don't know). I hurt my neck so now I will never try that again because I messed my neck/back up. It doesn't hurt normally, but if I try that move the bingo I am in pain for 3 days. So be careful but don't give up the yoga. Just remeber, as in everything, some people take yoga to the extreme and this is not its intent or purpose.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 12:06

Thanks Shar! I think I need yoga as much for the mental discipline as the physical.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 15:53

Plan: Lo-carb. IF 20/4. CKD
Stats: 195/145/155 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 125%

I like Suzanne Deason yoga home videos. Especially the one for weight loss. It feels SO good. And so gentle.