Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/264.5/153 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I Jackie, make a contract with myself to be an active member in this forum for 8 weeks.

My goals are:

To ride my recumbant bike at least three days a week, working up to the 28 minute weight loss course.

To do strength training at least 3 days a week.

To use my bodyflex tapes/bar every day. (as soon as I get it)

And to go walking more often.

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:00

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%

ketodiva

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power Lifeplan
Stats: 319/268/165
BF:

33%
I definitely want a piece of this action. I promise myself and my fellow TDC compatriots to:

1. utilize the Joyce Vedral weightlifting tapes 3x per week (Mon-upper body,Wed-lower body,Fri-Firm ab tape)
2. do the Leslie Sansome walking tapes on Tuesday and Thursday, building up from one mile to three miles.
3. Starting on Monday I will post my measurements and update on each successive Monday.
4. I will continue to nourish and cherish my body.

Have a love affair with life. Live passionately.

Next mini goal: 260.
Report Post | IP: Logged
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:04

Thanks AntiM. Next time I won't copy the stat data.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:18

Talking Second Day. Things are working out.

Today I did The Firm Abs Sculpt workout. I actually finished it. I want to make sure my form improves and then I can stop doing the beginners program and go to intermediate.

I'm not doing a specific program on Sundays. But I plan to walk. I walk to church and back (only a couple of blocks). I'm walking to the hairdresser (another 4 blocks and back) and then my DH and I are going out to dinner tomorrow night and we'll walk home afterwards. That's about .25 miles. Hey, it's a start.

I am officially a 50+ pound loser as of today . My six month anniversary on LC is August 1. But my goal was to be in the 260s by the end of July. My next goal is 260. I would like to do it by August 15. I'll just keep on the program and keep up the exercise and supplements.

Thanks for all your help.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 22:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/307/185 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:51%
Progress: 26%
Default Rena

I Rena, will participate in this thread for the next eight weeks and do the following exercise:

I challenge myself to walk at least 15 minutes 3 days a week.

I also want to ride my bike for 30 minutes at least once a week. (got a brand new bike two years ago, used three times...)

And I will use my fit ball and do at least five minutes at least one time a week. (I bought it three months ago and have used it twice...)

does follow through seem to be a problem for me or what?

Rena
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 06:57
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Just Checkin' In ...

First, an official Welcome to Teresa and Mary! We’re glad to have you with us. You bring the number of challengers on this thread up to 17. Even though we're spread out all over the North American continent, there is no way any of us can truly feel alone in this battle for greater health.
Ketodiva - Congratulations on making that 50+ lbs loss! Only a few more days to your ½ year anniversary … Yay!

I was really impressed reading everyone's posted goals. I am so proud of us all! It's no small thing to take on a commitment like this. So many different paths to finding the right type of exercise ... walking, weights, Pilates, bikes, tapes, elliptical machine, Curves, swimming, resistance bands, belly dance, stairs, balance / exercise balls, calisthenics, treadmill, etc.. That's a beautiful testament to the diversity of activity we larger folk are doing.

I have found that since I'm paying so much attention to stretching before and after my walks, I'm not having any additional discomfort in my joints. For me, this means I've been able to take my walks everyday so far, instead of every other day. My new routine is energizing me to feel like it's really possible to snatch back some mobility. Every other time I've tried to be more active (since getting sick in 1997), I'd push myself too much and end up worse than before I started. I'm so excited that with my 'do-able' goal, the push is small and I find I can do it!!

How is everyone else doing?
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:36

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Great start!

Well I struggled a bit on Day one with my weenie (for me) walk commitment of only 10 minutes so I decided that a 30 minute walk to the diner to meet friends for breakfast was a much better idea - so I did it again on Sunday too, which was a lot easier!! I used to walk 8 - 10 km a couple times a week so would love to get that back.

Problem I have is that I blew my knee out skiing years ago and my leg muscles seem to cramp up pretty good in the mornings. Yesterday morning was okay but today - OW!!! I just finished some stretching exercise but man am I sore! I think a little extra water intake might be a good idea?

How is everyone else making out??
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/307/185 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:51%
Progress: 26%
Default exercise progress

Sat. ANd Sunday I drove for five hours each day, however on Sat. I spent the afternoon at my cousin's country house and they have a pool!!

I swam for about 30 minutes, maybe more, and at least half of it was lap swimming. It felt so good, and I was stiff that evening and on into Sunday.

They also have a small acreage and I went on about a 20 minute walk.
Sunday I slept most of the day to recuperate from several nights with about 4 hours sleep, and then got up in the late afternoon and drove the five hours home.

Today it is hot, and I hope to get out for a walk after the sun isn't quite so hot.

Rena
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:36

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm doing great here

On Friday I lifted weights and was very sore for 2 days. Sat I did a 20 minute video (cardio) and pushed that extra minute thinking of everyone here doing this challenge Then lifted again today - yay! Right on target for the week.

I also thought about my arms and wrote down some of the good things they help me do. And every day I stroke them gently and tell them I love them LOL.

I have thought about what reward I want - and I think for every week I meet my goals I will give myself $10 to be used for a new outfit. All this exercise and my clothes will be falling off of me

How's everyone else doing?
Keep up the good work!!

Mary
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:17

Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Echo here.....Doing good so far. Have walked a mile on my tape every day except Sunday. Yesterday, I started my ab workout. Boy, do I have a lot of room for improvement! It did feel good tho, to actually work those muscles. I'm anxious to find out how much I can improve in 8 weeks.
Echo
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 14:41

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Where the heck is everyone??

I am so excited to hear about how everyone is doing...where the heck is everyone?? Please post and let us all know how you're doing!!

I have been walking daily for 30 minutes and truly feeling better already after only three days. Have to remember that and keep going, one day at a time.

Also the water increase has helped with my leg cramps.

Anyone shed any light on taking B6 & B12?? to stimulate metabolism? (I'll post that on the TDC page too)
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:03

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Week 1 Goals

Sorry I'm so late with this, I was busy poisoning my body with carb binging last week. I did keep up my fitness though, so hope all is not lost. In addition to restarting Induction this week, my goals are:

1. Continue walking 20 min. on weekdays & 60 min. on weekends. I wanted to up that to 30 min. on weekdays but since the week is half over, I'll save that until next week.

2. Two full body weight training workouts (usually do 3 but missed Monday so won't be able to make up additional day)

3. Stretch 10 minutes after walking. I've been stretching after weight training but not after walking.

4. Up water intake to at least 3 quarts per day. I know this isn't fitness-related but it really something I need to do, so I'm putting it here to remind me.

5. Do arm concentration exercises & homework.

Since I'm setting goals halfway through the week, I'm not going to think up a reward. My reward will be knowing I fought the carb devil & am back on track...
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:25
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Sounds like we're doing really good!

Teresa and hatetocook - thanks for bringing up the water issue. I know half the posts we read on the Forum talk about drinking enough water, but I've been thinking about it, too. It's the hottest, driest summer we've had in a decade here near Seattle, temps in the mid-90's (which maybe mild to you folks in warmer climes, but it's hellish here to me). I’ve been trying to remember water, water, water … I do good for a couple of days, then slack off again. I’m definitely adding it to my fitness commitments next week, because they are inextricably linked.

On a personal note, one of my cats died in a coyote attack Monday night. I’ve been in serious grief mode, just wanting to shut down. I’m one of those ‘crazy cat ladies’ - so it’s like I’ve lost a big part of my family. I think forcing myself to do those daily walks these last couple of days have helped keep me more in the world and less down the rabbit hole of depression. Just more incentive to keep exercising because it’s obviously healing in a lot of ways.

P.S. - I’m going to need better shoes. Anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced sneaker for a girl with a wide and thick foot?
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:49

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Monika,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. I know it's hard to keep up daily activities while grieving, let alone trying to start new things.

For shoes, I love the ones I bought when first working out & I normally wear a 10 wide. They're made by Avia & I bought them at Kohl's (not sure if you have those out West). I must say though that there's nothing like just taking the hour and trying everything on. These were about the 6th or 7th pair I tried on & knew they were "the ones" as soon as I tried them on. 4 months later, I still love them.

Good luck!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:52
Pending Member

Stats: 326.5/279/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I'm doing pretty good this week... Went to Curves on Saturday as planned... then again on Tuesday and today... We are going out of town this weekend so I needed to get an extra day in during the work week... So, I will be going on my "Saturday" trip on Friday morning instead

I have plantar problems in my left foot... it had been getting better until about 3 weeks ago when I over did it and now it is hurting like crazy again... so, I have to be very careful not to over do... This weekend will be full of walking as we are going to the Horse Races in NY on Saturday and to the Baseball Hall of Fame on Sunday (it's my fiance's birthday weekend )...

My goals for next week: Get in at least 3 liters of water each day, go to Curves on Tuesday and Thursday, and walk as much as possible without hurting my foot over the weekend!

Hope everyone is reaching their goals for the week!!

Patty