Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 19:41

Plan: CKD
Stats: 280/190/170 Male 5"11
BF:
Progress:
Default question for hardcore ckders

hi guys, i've been trolling on this board for a while, and have found a lot of your input very useful in my cutting efforts..thnx!

I've got a few questions to ask the pros, but first a little background

about a year ago, i was 300lbs (and gaining)...thnx to Atkins, cardio, and some weight lifting, i was able to cut down to about 200 lbs in just 7 months

im currently at 190lbs. The last 10lbs i lost following a MAXOT lifting routine..intense cardio twice a week (for maybe 20 mins), and Atkins at about 40-50g carbs/day.
When i found this forum, i immediately started CKDing (doing a 48 hour carb up).

Here's my weekly routine with a CKD diet:

Monday: Chest (3 sets of each)

Flat benchpress barbell 4-6 reps
Incline bench 4-6 reps
Free weight pec flies 8-10 reps
Cable bench press 6-8 reps

Tuesday : Arms (2-3 sets of each)

Standing bar curls (free weight) 4-6 reps
Cable curls 4-6 reps
Preacher curls 4-6 reps
Chin ups 10 reps
Cable Tricep pull down 8-10 reps
weighted dips 6-8 reps

Wednesday : Legs (3 sets of each)

Squats 6-8 reps
Deadlift 6-8 reps
One legged press 10-12 reps each

Thursday : Shoulders/back (2-3 sets each)

Dumbell shoulder press 4 reps
Lateral raises 8-10 reps
seated frontal raises 8-10 reps
Behind the back shoulder press (smith rack) 4-6reps
Lats pulldowns 4-6 reps
Seated cable rows 6-8 reps
wide grip pull ups 6-8 reps
Upright rows 4-6 reps

Of course i'll vary it here and there to keep my body guessing. I follow up every work out with 30g whey (within an hour of my workout)

Here's a sample menu for a ketogenic day:

B: A boiled egg, can of tuna, spoon of mayo, two spoons of flax oil, multivit
L: Two chicken breasts with franks red hot, cup of brocolli
snack: flaxseeds with a touch of cinammon and whey powder..sometimes pork rinds if i can handle the salt
D: Usually 1/2 a fish (i love salmon) with asparagus (sp) or brocolli
before bed: fish oil caps, and a spoon of peanut butter if i feel cravings

Carb ups can go a bit awry sometimes. I try to keep fat as low as possible (but heck, i luuuurrrv mayo in my turkey sandwich!!) I usually go from saturday afternoon, until sunday night before bed. Typical foods are yams (lots), cereal, oatmeal (not instant), and lotsa sandwiches. My typical water retention after a carbup is about 7 lbs.

So how am I doing you might ask? I've gained a LOT of strength since starting my CKD. My bench has come from one plate, to two plates in a matter of months. And i look more defined (at least i think i do)...got a four pack, but the six is going to take some time

My question is this: I've gone from 190lbs to 197lbs after starting a CKD. Why is this? My resting weight on monday mornings after a carb up is about 204-5lbs, then i come back to sit at 197lbs at the end of the week. Could I be packing on fat lbs, or is it muscle? I went from 190lbs to 197lbs in about 3-4 months of ckding..

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 20:07
Southern Gentleman

Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Well, what do you think from looking in the mirror? If you haven't had your bodyfat tested before and now, you won't really know if you've put on fat or muscle.

Now, having said that, it sounds like you've put on muscle, maybe all of it, maybe WITH a little fat. If your bench went from 1 plate to 2 plates, you're adding muscle of sure.

All in all, it sounds like you're progressing fairly well, as many folks around here like to say,"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So now, if you want to know for sure what progress you are making, either get your bodyfat tested every now and then (by the same person, some time of the week, time of day, etc.) or just get your own pair of calipers and do the pinch thing every now and then to see what direction you're going in.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 22:56

Stats: 280/190/170 Male 5"11
BF:
Progress:

thnx chipp!
i've been keeping track of your gallery, and you're lookin real cut!

I suppose you're right..i've always known the scale wasn't a good judge, but i keep coming back to it, haha
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 13:00

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Ditto Chip,
It looks like you are on track. I had to cut the carbups CKD to
eating carb Friday night after depletion workout. I had to stop the carb load on Saturday 24 hrs. If I did a longer carb up I would break even each week. I really have to do clean carb ups and limit them.
Lately I have been doing NHE with 2 carb meals a week.
I seem to lose better on it.

Jag