Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 11:02

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Timing of carb-ups?

Hi, all

Got a question, please.

The intense part of all of my assorted activities comes in the early part of the week. Karate on M and W, trainer on T and W. For carbs, I'm doing two single meals on separate days, ideally within the Heller-style 1 hour limit, for a total of 200-250 g each. I'm doing one Monday night to set me up for lifting Tues am. My appt is at 9, so I don't have enough time to carb-stuff in the morning before I go. The second meal is Tues dinner to set for Weds lifting. I pick up one more lifitng session either Friday or Saturday but I don't carb for that one. I'm not doig the BFL free day, just the two single meals which is a variation Bill says is ok, and I think may even be better for females who lay down fat at the drop of a hat.

This week, I actually only did one carb-up meal on Wed but I bonked the day before because I didn't do one on Tues.

Here's the Q:

Do you think that one carb meal Monday night will carry me through two lifting sessions and one, 2 hr karate class? Do you think that doing the carb meals back to back like that will be counterproductive to fat-loss?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Friday
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 12:44

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

When on NHE I carb load (meals) Saturday and Tuesday night.
Felt great and major gains on the lifts but no weight loss.
Recomposition yes weightloss no.
I have done TKD and I don't notice much if any differance.
Currently I carb load on Saturday night only. (NHE BB rules).
I can only do one carb meal and still lose weight. YMMV.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 13:31

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

oops..........
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 13:35

BF:

I think I may try one meal on Mon night and see how I do.

The first two weeks doing this, I dropped 5.5 lbs of fat and gained 4.5 lean (much of which will be H20 from the glutamine and the lifting) so the scale is moving slowly, but it IS moving.

Thanks, jag!

Friday
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 04:56

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayeyes
The first two weeks doing this, I dropped 5.5 lbs of fat and gained 4.5 lean (much of which will be H20 from the glutamine and the lifting) so the scale is moving slowly, but it IS moving.
Friday

Impressive! I'm also following NHE, same carb-up routine as Jag. I take in about 200g carbs each time, like you do, but I have to split it into 2 meals (dinner and late-night snack) to get it all in. I don't think that matters, though. The only concern I would have as far as doing carb-ups back to back is that it might kick you out of a fat-burning metabolism. R. Faigin recommends that you wait at least one day between carb-ups. I was just wondering if you might be slipping into sugar-burning mode, making you more prone to "bonks". I think our activity level is similar, and I only have a problem on Saturdays (my longer stretch between carb-ups). By that afternoon I really am ready for a carb-up. HTH!

Jen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 09:14

BF:

Hi, Jen,

I don't *think* I'm in sugar burning mode. My ketosis readings are too high, and last time I did BFL I tracked carbs, ketosis and performance *really* carefully. The only time I *didn't* bonk midweek on BFL was setting daily carbs at 150-200.

Today's experiment is to have a smaller, complex-carb meal a few hours before I lift and no dextrose. We shall see.

Cheers!

Friday