Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 18:11

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Question Yes or No...Candida???

Well...going into my seventh week of Induction....and losing weight only after the fourth week (3 lbs....after eliminating cured/processed meats), after adding more water and weaning off my diuretic and losing no more weight...or inches....I was a bit puzzled until I reread the Atkins book about yeast symptoms and background, and I suddenly realized that it with the exception of maybe one or two items, it could very well be describing ME. And...the interesting thing is...I must have had this chronically for YEARS. The main clinchers were:

1) My asthma seems to be directly related to mold and mildews as well as having a more difficult time breathing when the weather is humid and/or damp. I'm also incredibly oversensitive to many perfumes and various scents.
2) I've always been sensitive to most milk products....many cheeses, milk directly, sour cream....
3) I've had a compromised immune system ever since I can remember; especially since my episodes with strep throat as a child...and was hospitalized three separate times as a teenager/young adult...twice with unexplained severe hip abcesses, requiring surgery and constant rounds of antibiotics...the other time was for sinus surgery (prone to infections, I had multiple polyps removed...and was placed on antibiotics....and as I was still recovering from that surgery I developed full-blown rubella)

My list goes on, regarding symptoms, but I think you get the picture.

I'm 49 yrs old.....I know with current supplementation I am on the right track...I do have more energy and stamina...but something has been impeding any weight loss on Atkins...and I think this may be it. Something inside me, however, doesn't want to admit it..because it means another drastic change in the way I'm eating....I'm just getting comfortable with this.

So....I'm asking....could this be something else? Can there be any doubt here? Should I check other less drastic possibilities first? (keep in mind...I've tried a number of them already...) Yes or No?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 21:24
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

It sounds like full-blown candida overgrowth to me. Go pick up a copy of "The Yeast Connection" (can't remember the author's name) It is well worth the $$.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 22:25

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Unhappy Uh--Oh

Thanks katoman....and, btw...I actually own a copy of The Yeast Connection....but never read it much until a few days ago. I think I'm going to have trouble giving up foods with vinegar most....all the salad dressings I use have vinegar....mayo, mustard, worcestershire sauce all have vinegar.

I don't know if I can handle this....I've been telling others not to give up hope....but I'm getting tired of diet changes....and not getting anywhere with them.

Last edited by DerBlumers : Tue, Sep-16-03 at 22:27. Reason: wrong icon