Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 19:40

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default PWO Meals?

I'm working cardio about 4 days a week.... running ~ 5.0 for 3 miles. Usually takes me about 30-35 minutes. I try to lift 1-2 days a week. I'm looking for suggestions on LC meals pre/post workout. Are you eating before cardio? After? If so, what are you eating? I mean, if I'm in ketosis, I should be burning fat for fuel during my workout. Does eating afterwards slow that process down? I usually eat some cottage cheese or a protein shake with water and cream. Nothing big.

I honestly haven't read too much about "how" the body works while in ketosis other than what's in DANDR, I just know Atkins does give me results. I want to maximize those and do what's best for my body. Any suggestions out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 20:26

Plan: Low carb/healthy
Stats: 154.4/119.0/125 Female 5ft4 and 3/4ths
BF:don't ask...
Progress: 120%

Howdy..

I to run usually every day from 3-6 miles..depending on how I feel..I do better running outside, but with the fall here the fall allergies are killers so I do it on a treadmill. I find that drinking a protein shake about 1 hr before I run gives me the energy and stamina I need. I do this w/o in the morning so by the time I get home, Its about 10:00--I will have protein say a boiled egg/no sugar added pb on celery..nuts..I then have lunch around 12:00..If I am super hungry, I go ahead and eat lunch early. I tried to eat before w/o..but it didn't settle well on the stomach. Just experiment on what helps you with energy. Dont worry about the ketosis during or after w/o..U are burning fat just by exercising and getting your heart rate up plus its so good for u

Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 08:09

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

After heavy lifting, I suggest a small high-gi carb and protein meal, ideally something like whey and dextrose. The idea is that the dextrose (or other high-gi carb) will cause a small insulin spike which will help to drive the protein into the muscles where it can be used for repair and rebuilding. This shouldn't affect ketosis for more than an hour or so, if at all.

After cardio, you could either take a whey only shake, or a wait half an hour (to allow any exercise-induced insulin to dissipate) before eating a normal keto meal.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 00:32

Plan: My own+BFL
Stats: 295/192/170 Female 5'4
BF:46.3/33/25
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen H
After heavy lifting, I suggest a small high-gi carb and protein meal, ideally something like whey and dextrose. The idea is that the dextrose (or other high-gi carb) will cause a small insulin spike which will help to drive the protein into the muscles where it can be used for repair and rebuilding. This shouldn't affect ketosis for more than an hour or so, if at all.

After cardio, you could either take a whey only shake, or a wait half an hour (to allow any exercise-induced insulin to dissipate) before eating a normal keto meal.

I try to do my version of hi GI carb and protein. pre-workout I can only tolerate a protein shake, after I do berries (strawberry or raspberries, blueberries), or .5 a medium apple and pair it with a protein for the exact reason she said.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 00:11

Plan: UD 2.0
Stats: 250/200/200 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 100%

even for those who are very carb intolerant...insulin sensitivity is at its greatest after a good workout (i'm talking about some weights here). If you are interested in seeing your best progress i would recommend some form of carb intake after weight training. Your muscles are primed to use carbs to refuel glycogen stores and it will seriously help with recovery. the amount and type of carbs in any diet is highly individual but carbs can be used effectivly by those who are involved in serious weight training.