Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 358/322/240 Male 6'2
BF:???/37%/20%
Progress: 31%
Default Am i too heavy for the gym?

Am i too heavy for a gym treadmill?
im 6'2 365lbs

im just trying to save the embarrasment of being turned away.
any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 10:43
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I was on the treadmill at 5'7" and 350 pounds. I think it can take it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:47

Plan: Lots of milk+milk protein
Stats: 27.2/14.5/09.0 Male model, 6'1"
BF:lbs:237/200/212
Progress: 70%

Please don't do aerobics just yet - wait till you are closer to your goal.

Aerobic exercise will make you more efficient with your energy, and that is NOT what you need right now.

Lifting weights will make your body more inefficient with energy, and that means more calories burned each day, which means more fat burned each day.

I've lost count of all the posts I've read from people who are doing aerobic exercise, are stalled in their weight, and can't figure out why.

I am not saying don't ever do it, and I am saying you need to go to the gym - I'm just saying put the aerobic stuff off until later so it doesn't frustrate you.

You should be able to lose >5lbs a week doing nothing but high-fat induction (no exercise period).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 12:50

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%

What the??? Aerobic exercise is vital to weight loss, in my opinion. Obviously, start out slowly and consult with your doctor. When you first start out, you might not even need a treadmill, walking is excellent exercise as well. If you are able, weight training is great, it will build muscle which will burn more calories and strengthen your bones. But why anyone would tell you NOT to do aerobic exercise is beyond me. If anything, I would do the walking/treadmill before worrying about weight lifting and add the weights to your workout if you start to stall. That's my opinion.
Also, if you're worried about weight restrictions, you can call the gym you are interested in joining and ask them what the weight limit is for specific machines. Good luck to you and congratulations on making this lifestyle change.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 12:56

I looked online and LifeFitness treadmills allow up to 400 pounds. Here is a link http://us.home.lifefitness.com/cont...m/t3-0treadmill

they are pretty popular machines at gyms, so if your gym has one of those you should be okay.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 13:23

Plan: Lots of milk+milk protein
Stats: 27.2/14.5/09.0 Male model, 6'1"
BF:lbs:237/200/212
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieB
What the??? why anyone would tell you NOT to do aerobic exercise is beyond me.
I don't agree with everything Tom Venuto says (that's an understatement), but we do agree on this: http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/a...AM-fat-burn.htm
Quote:
"Anyone interested in losing body fat who is not lifting weights should first take up a regimen of bodybuilding, then – and only then – start thinking about the morning cardio!!"

~Tom Venuto
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 14:51

Manaburrn, the author of that article didn't say you should lift weights before you start thinking about cardio. That article is about doing cardio in the morning, before you've had anything to eat...and he's saying that you might be better off lifting weights than worrying about doing cardio in a fasted (first thing in the morning) state. The article also says that there isn't enough proof in either direction whether a.m. cardio is best or not. I don't see anything about weights being more important than cardio. Tom Venuto even concludes with saying that he's going to continue to get up and do cardio before breakfast.

Anyway, I guess we have a difference of opinion.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 12:12

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Whether you burn the calories from weight lifting or aerobics is beside the point. Bottom line is that you use them excess calories rather than store them!

If the treadmill in your gym cannot handle your current weight, a dumbbell or barbell will not complain a bit. A dumbbell can be used to do swings, farmer’s walks, cleans and host of several more exercises. Using the dumbbell swing as an example, you can start with a weight you are comfortable with and begin with it between your legs as close your feet as possible. Using your body, especially the hips and core, swing the weight up to about shoulder height. Work for time on these. Go for as long as you can and take breaks between sets as needed. Work within a range of motion you are ok with and start with a light weight and work up to heavier weights as you can. Challenge yourself by increasing your range of motion, upping the weight, adding a second dumbbell, working higher reps per set, longer workouts, active rest periods, or any combination of these. This exercise is great for burning lots of calories, building some strength and increasing strength endurance. Your shoulders will get tone as will your mid section and arms. Flexibility throughout your body will increase as well.

Give it a try as an alternative to the treadmill and keep it challenging.

Farmer’s walks are great also. Pick up the heaviest pair of dumbbells you can handle and find a place in the gym to walk back and forth. Go for as long as you can.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 23:36

Stats: 385/338/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 29%

Your treadmill should have no problems supporting your weight. I was 318 when I started on it, there were no problems for me and I have seen 400+ pounds people on them. I would also start weight lifting if I were you, the combination of the 2 will give you the absolute best results.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 07:46
Registered Member

joined powerhouse gym, today was my second day. i plan on weight training some time soon, but as of right now, im trying to get used to the early morning routine. but i love it so far.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 11:49

Stats: 385/338/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 29%

Do yourself a favor and try to build muscle with heavier reps. Once you get used to it, you will drop weight so much faster. I was off of the diet for 10 days and lost 5 more pounds, I am shooting for the high 260's by mid April if not mid 260's.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 12:13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050
Do yourself a favor and try to build muscle with heavier reps. Once you get used to it, you will drop weight so much faster. I was off of the diet for 10 days and lost 5 more pounds, I am shooting for the high 260's by mid April if not mid 260's.
will do, thanks for the tip
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 12:50

Anthony: congratulations on starting your exercise program! Keeo it up and it will soon become a habit. You're going to feel so awesome. Keep up the good work