Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 00:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/-/120 Female 5'4"
BF:27/25/19
Progress: 37%
Default Am I Exercising Enough?

I've started walking 3.5 miles every day, which usually takes me about an hour. I know that's sort of slow, but I feel like I'm moving at a quick clip during most of it.

I'm hoping to build my way up to jogging. I tried jogging a little today and I was very surprised that it was possible to do it at all... I wasn't wearing the right shoes or clothes for it, but I was able to get moving more easily than I thought I'd be able to.

So my question to you is: Is this enough exercise? Walking an hour a day seems good to me, but maybe I'm walking too slowly or not enough miles. I feel tired after 3.5 miles, but I also feel like I'm not doing enough. I know if I was jogging for an hour a day than that'd be wonderful, but for now I'm hoping the walking is enough cardio to help with the weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 12:22

Plan: Loony plans
Stats: 205/146/145 Male 5'6" - 167cm
BF:28%/ around 10%/7%
Progress: 98%

Enough? It all depends on your goals.

If you just want a better vascular blood circulation, walking is probably enough. It will also help you fit better in your clothes since you are doing it for an hour.

However, it takes hours of lifting heavy weights to build head turning physiques.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 12:25
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony33
However, it takes hours of lifting heavy weights to build head turning physiques.

I couldn't agree more.

Walking is great exercise for burning fat and endurance building.

But it takes hard work to change and tone muscles.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl
I couldn't agree more.

Walking is great exercise for burning fat and endurance building.

But it takes hard work to change and tone muscles.

I haven't even found cardio to be all that great at burning fat - but it is good for circulation and endurance.

Personally, I've found heavy weightlifting did more to help me burn off fat than ANY amount of cardio ever did.