Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/127.5/115.0
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hey Crew!

How's everyone doing? Well... I have stayed the same. Aww. That's okay though, I am not going to cheat.

About the exams and procrastinating and munching.... I hear ya! You are right, that is really tough. You mentioned that you were going to try to replace it with exercise - don't forget, you can start slow. Just like how you were saying that you want to lose 5 lbs instead of a bigger number all at once- it's the same way with exercise. Just tell yourself that you are going to take a walk 3 times per week for 20 minutes. That's it! Don't argue with yourself, or try to convince yourself not to - just get out there and do it - don't even think. When that gets easy then add more. Before you know it you will have added alot more- - maybe even just for the enjoyment of it! It feels so good to have the sun shine on your face.

Don't forget guys - it's all a mind game! We can do this. Don't allow yourself to think those old, negative thoughts. This IS what you really want and although missing a walk or having a treat may be totally justified in your head at that time - you are kidding yourself because THIS is what you REALLY want, otherwise I don't think that any of us would have joined a "low carb forum"!!
Hang in there Crew - summer is going to come faster than we think.

Keep Me Posted!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 19:20

Plan: Organic
Stats: 167/1??/120 Female 69 inches
BF:29w/26w/24w
Progress: 57%

HI Guys!! Can I join???
I'm 20, it's my 3rd semester at college. I'm 5'8'' and I weigh 143 (the lowest I've been in two years! ) I want to get down to about 130-135. I know I can do it!!!
It's just like you said LovingIt , it's all in your mind! lol should I call you LovingIt ? or something else??

Merrymash - You could try getting a workout tape for the times when your friend can't go to the gym or you can't make it there. I just got The Firm Super Sculpting, and it's really cool. I do it 2 x a week, on the days in between I do Mornig cardio on the treadmill. There is a big thread on why morning cadio on an empty stomach burns more fat.
I'm using FitDay, but just for the Weight Graph, I like to see the line go down!
They have Journals and Gym Logs on this site that are really helpful.

I think this will be a cool thread since we are all around the same age and VERY motivated! Maybe we could have a Challenge date, like we all set a goal to reach by a certain date and then help eachother along the way.

I'm really hyper, sorry if I'm rambling at you guys!
"See" you later!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 22:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins start over 7/23/2003
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Cool

Thanks for the great advice guys. Kaela, a work out video is a great idea for those dreary days when i dont feel like heading to the gym. By the way, congratulations on your progress! I glanced through your journal and I'm a little confused on what exactly your plan is. Also I noticed you were taking metabolife. I've used products w/ephedra but i stopped because everyone was warning me of the dangers of it...Also, I know many LC plans discourage caffeine intake, and those pills have a bunch in them....do u think they might cause some people to stall??? Oh and one more question, you keep listing a yogurt w/fiber as one of your meals...what kind of yogurt is it?

And a question to everyone..are you guys taking lots of vitamins??? i'm just starting out and i dont know which ones i should invest in...

So i'm still really pumped...wen to the gym - 45 mins hard core cardio and abs!!!! cant wait to see the belly melt...its so hard to get rid of the freshman 15!!!! if i had to relive last year, i would change my bad habbits of staying up late and eating all the junk...well now i must pay

oh well, we can do it!!!! i took out a pair of my old jeans (non-stretchy) and i cant wait till they fit again!!! more important than what the scale says...ok,guys now i'm just procrastinating...back to my studies...ugh

GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 07:18

Go MerryMash!!! 45 mins! Damn that freshamn 15!! Mine was like pre-freshman 30!! That's okay, cuz it's melting off us now! No more late night junk food sessions!

I've been following the Candida Diet. I kept getting yeast infections and I felt really crappy. No matter what I did they wouldn't go away. After I did some research I found out I had Candida (which is an overgrowth of the natural candida yeast in our intestines) Gross huh? Imagine how I feel!! lol
It can be caused by a lot of things and it's very common although most people aren't aware they have it. Some causes are eating too much sugar/ carbs (we're safe now ) and eating too much cheese, nuts and fermented foods, and taking steriods, antibiotics (big cause) and birth control pills (which also raise your estrogen levels making it hard to lose weight) When I started doing Lc all I ate was cheese!!! Cheese +cheese+ cheese+ cheese+pistachios+nuts+cashews+creamcheese=NO WEIGHT LOSS AND A CANDIDA PROBLEM!!!

So the diet is very healthy . Basically just eggs, meat, lots of veggies (with olive oil mmm..) and Plain, whole fat, whole milk yogurt (this type of yougrt only has 4 carbs per cup instead of 16 carbs because the milk sugars are eaten up by the yogurt making process) I add Benefibeer to the yogurt. Fibers really good for you and it's hard to get enough.
I don't have ANY sauces or anything! Basically I eat like a cavewoman that has olive oil, a stove and yogurt!!
After eating this way my yeast problem is almost gone {I also took supplements, if you think you might have Canddia ask me about them, they're important) and I lost 20 pounds last month!!!!! Isn't that crazy!!! A lot of it was water weight, I was on my period and had just cheated when I started the month. So I probably lost about 12 pounds of fat!! I still can't beleive it! I have kept my calories at about 1600. I think, I dont remember exactly. Now I keeping them at 1200-1400. If you've been stalled or you are close to goal you might have to start counting calories.

Um....what else...OH I don't take Metabolife anymore. I had to stop because of the Candida diet, it's very strict. I have never heard of the caffeine stalling anyone. If you go to the General Exercise Forum , there is a sticky that talks all about ECA stacks, It's HUGE! I wouldn't recommend them unless you're really cloe to goal and haven't been able to make any progress in a long time. They make me tired after a few hours. basically they help by cutting down your appetite (%75 of weight loss) and heating up your body (metabolism boost) (%25 of weight loss)

I take a yeast free multi vitamin. EVERYTHING is yeast free now. lol

Okay, I'm off to do my Super Sculpting The Firm video

Good luck everyone!!!! We can do this!!!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 13:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Guys,
Great to have you join us Kaela
YES!! WOOHOO!! I am excited for this. Kaela, your email was so funny - what a problem that yeast was!
Where is everyone from? Is it hot? I live in Alberta Canada and there is still alot of snow on the ground. It was a cold run yesterday. Brrr.
And about the Freshman 15 - that was in the past and now we start new!! Don worry guys, we'll lose that!

By the way my name is Deanna...

Hang in there guys,
Dee
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 15:55
Registered Member

Stats: 170/158.5/130
BF:
Progress: 29%
Talking hey girlies

Hey everyone , whats UP....
My 4th week on induction YIPEEEEE im so proud.... im gonna stay on it for 6 weeks. My workout regimen well umm i power walk for an hour everyday and today im going to start doing a fitness tape... Went to the city today(Mannhatan) and saw some realli hot clothes but didnt buy anything cause i wanna be a size 6 or a size 5 ... So yeh i wanna be like 130- 135 by the end of june , yes high hopes but if not then i just want to keep losing weight however long it takes... OHh and im not going to weigh myself till im done with induction dont want to get discouraged.... so lets keep checking up on each other...<3
Dee
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 15:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default DEE

lol loving it your DEE too.... well my name is Deesire.....
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 18:20

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

can i join too?? Im 21... hoping to at least be 170-160 by vacation time ( July)

my name is Misty... the only problem i seem to be having is actually gettin enough carbs! UGH! lol... anyways ive been on this WOL for a month and 5 days lol.. i did cheat monday though ( YUCK) i ate about half a cup of rice and it made me literally sick. ( throwing up and the "other") and it tasted GROSS! i cant believe i used to could eat this for every meal! ... anyways enough rambling...
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 18:28
Registered Member

BF:

hahaha - Dee, I was laughing . . . 2 Dees! What are the chances. Too funny!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 18:53

Plan: Atkins' Low Carb~Induction
Stats: 212.5/204/155 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 15%

Dude! My workout regimen is walking for 45 minutes....I'm gonna start jogging as soon as I can get up enough nerve to....I hate seeing all that fat just jiggling as I run. But congrats on all of those who lost weight, and whoever had onlt freshman 15 or pre freshman 30....I gained 60 lbs in 9 months after my dad died...so I guess I had the high-school-junior-60! Yuck! But hey I'll get it off...eventually....just as long as everyone helps me stay on track!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins start over 7/23/2003
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Wow Kaela , 20 pounds in one month!!! Way to go! Thanks for all the great advice. It really helped to go to the fitness forum, lots of great info there. I went to the gym really early this morning and although i liked the feeling of getting it over with in the beginning of the day and it woke me up, i didnt feel like i had as much energy as i do if i work out at night.

Say Hi2M it looks like we're trying to lose bout the same amt....i would love to reach my goal by end of june too!!! i'm just starting out though, but really pumped!

Tonight is a very rough night for me girls - its 10 pm and i just got back from work. I have a huge exam at 9 am and probably will be up most of the night - these are the nights that are tougest w/trying to limit food and coffee intake. I'm sure my body metabolizes everything slower at night but i feel like i need it to stay up and study!!! i have to keep up my scholarship!!! or at least thats my excuse and i just use it to procrastinate....Anyway i'm just gona try to jump around or something when i get sleepy. I hate alnighters!!!! uhg...cant wait till my break! Ok, sorry for whining so much....

Anyway, every time i'll wanna cheat i'll just think of how hard it was to get up this morning and work out, and you girls of course!!!! Thanks for the support and good luck everyone!

WE CAN DO IT !!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 21:25
Registered Member

Stats: 180/180/115 Female 5'0"
BF:33%/32%/22.2%
Progress: 0%

I got the idea from one of the "seniors" here, whe I saw their mini goal,s I was like, "OOOHH I am so going to do that!" it is easier to see and feel than going, well, one more pound down, 50 to go, you know what I mean? I am doing well in my loss, and I am looking forward to having a body fat percentage of only"overweight" by this summer, instead of the horrible "obese" I just hate that word!!!!! Okay, gotta go. See ya all later. Good luck on the losses~~
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 09:42

Plan: Atkins' Low Carb~Induction
Stats: 212.5/204/155 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hey! I'm having the same problems with finals here....I have to keep up a 3.0 GPA in order to keep my scholarship, which is quite difficult to do! It's not at 3.0, but hopefully I can get it up before they check the status of my grades! I've been up long hours studying and instead of getting food or coffee, I figured out that every hour or so, you could just kinda get out of your chair and move around a bit, get the blood going through your system again, ya know? it'll wake you up a bit, and plus it takes your mind off of eating! At least that was the scenario for me, but everyone's different so I don't know how much it'll work with you, but it did wonders for me. I have finals in about 2 weeks.....I'm getting ready for the week from HELL! But after that, I have the rest of the summer off!! I can hear angels singing as I type this....anyway, I'll post later, peace!
Sara
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 13:59

Lightbulb

First let me say.."YAY FOR US!!! WE KICK ASS!" Okay that was just a little pick me up for those of you who might be down. (No, I was not a cheerleader in High School! )

LOL Sara your funny. Hallelujah!! No school soon!!

Godd job guys taking a walk or stretching instead of eating. Night time is the hardest for me too.

Hi LuddyBell ! Welcome!!
That's weird how now bread and rice and sugar make us feel gross. I get really tired after I eat sugar and I Fart!!! lol Too bad they don't have a farting smiley face!!

Do you guys like DAve MAthews Band? My bf just bought me his new CD. It's so awesome. I like Grey Street, BUsted Stuff, and Big Eyed Fish.

Hey let's have a roll call?? How many girls are here??

I'm so tired. To the Bath!!
See ya'
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 17:08
Registered Member

BF:
Wink hey...

Hey kalea and everyone else.....
so 1 girl here, Todays such yuckeee day its raining and my tummy hurts and i cant go walking ...... Anyway today i ate 2 eggs and a little bowl of shrimp and sardines.... now i feel sick.... so anyway just saying whats UP to everyone.... Ohhhh kalea i dont really listen to that stuff but i like lauren hill, eminem, nas....and a lot of other stuff..
<3 Dee