Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 289.5/275/190 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Well, I managed to have a sort of unplanned refeed. As of Saturday, I had lost two pounds...which means I was no longer stalling. My fiance and future mother in law and I went to Carmel (where we are getting married) to show her the wedding/ceremony site and then we decided to go ahead and go cake tasting since she wants to buy our wedding cake. I have been avoiding the cake tasting intentionally because, I can't eat it! So, we went to two places. The first place, I chewed a piece of gum and asked their opinions of each cake, but didn't even have a taste. The second place was a french bakery and the cakes looked really different and tasty. So, I went ahead and had a few bites. Then we went to dinner and I had a glass of champagne, small helping of potatoes au gratin and bread with olive oil as well as other LC food. It was really nice to just have a celebration dinner and not have to worry about what I was eating. Then later we went bowling with a few other couples and I had some popcorn and a two beers. I figured I might as well make the best of my night off.

Next morning I got on the scale and was another pound down. But I felt terrible. Incredible headache, very lethargic, almost felt fluish. It was a full blown hangover...a carbohyrate hang over! It was pretty darn bad. And of course, like any hangover, I immediately swore off the culprit - in this case it's carbs. hehehe. I do feel better today. And yesterday I went right back on induction and am still going strong today. I am back into ketosis and feel much better now that I am back to LC. My weekly weigh-in day is tomorrow and I will let you all know how it goes. Unfortunately, I am not sure that refeeding will be the cause of my loss this week since I was already loosing.

I am not planning to do any more refeeds anytime soon. I may consider it if I am stalled, but knowing how yucky I will feel the next day, may keep me off of the carbs!

However, if I was stalled for three months, I would absolutely refeed. Just make sure that you are committing to a number of days of hours to refeed and that once your refeed is over, you go right back onto induction, no expections.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:48

Stats: 215/165/145 Female 5'9
BF:26%
Progress: 71%
Angry

Hi guys.....I've been reading up on this refeed thing as well. I haven't gotten on the scale for a couple of weeks and finally weighed in today! I've gained 2 1/2 lbs I don't know where I went wrong but I work out 5 days a week on the treadmill and run 6 miles and also do THE FIRM entire body workout 2-3 times a week. Now last week I forgot to warm up before getting on the treadmill ( bad left knee) and my knee has been swollen for a week! So I didn't get on the treadmill at all this week and only did the FIRM thing all week except for yesterday. Now that poundage couldn't be because I've built muscle could it? I measured myself today and finally lost a couple inches here and there but what gets me is the gained weight! SHould I do this refeed thing and if so how to begin? I'm too scared to try the whole entire weekend thing so was debating on today. Do I work out and then refeed later or just hang out refeed and work out tomorrow as well as starting back on induction? THis really brings me down. NOw I'm depressed! What to do ??????
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 197/155/145 Female 5'5 feet
BF:30.1%
Progress: 81%
Default Mee too!

I have been stalled for a long time now. I run nearly every morning for 30 mins and I have seen little to no change. I lift weights 3 times a week and Nothing is working for me. I have to admit the whole refeeding thing is a bit scary but so was Atkins at the beginning. If anyone has a similar story (ie, workout, eat right, still no weight loss) and then begins to lose again I would love to know how.

Thanks!
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 18:42

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpgrl03
I've gained 2 1/2 lbs

If you're working out as much as you say, it's very possible the weight you gained was muscle mass. Make sure to measure yourself, because you may be losing inches. Also, when you lose fat, your body puts water in your fat cells as place holders. Once your body realizes you aren't filling those cells up again, they'll release the water and you'll have a nice whoosh. Just be patient. You're doing great!
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 21:06

THanks MISSA! I appreciate your input. Well from Sunday to Tuesday I lost 2 1/2 lbs. because I started on induction again. I'm very excited however, somehow last night I came down with flu like symptems and haven't been able to eat or do a thing today! It's the hardest thing being this sick with 2 little rascals to take care of as well. I tried eating some string cheese and a vanilla A shake in morning couldn't do it, I just now had some Swanson's chicken broth half can and that was extremely hard. So now after seeing success this is probably going to slow me down again! Since my body is going to be in starvation mode. God I hope this goes away asap! Thanks for lending an ear!!!

Good luck to you and congrats on your success as well!
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 15:37

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

The biggest weight loss drops I had were when I got the flu. The weight I lost from the flu never returned. Not to say that the flu is a good thing, but I got to stay home from work, watch some movies, loose 6 pounds and feel really crappy.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:17

You are too funny Groggy60! Your right, I guess all that suffering is worth loosing the weight! Luckily I only had it for 24 hours though!
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:44
Registered Member

Default I did it....

Well, I did the refeed and I am about 3 lbs heavier. This is really scary, I only did it for the last two meals of the day but my stomach hurts and I didn't sleep very well. I don't know when I am supposed to start seeing the results of this but my workout on Monday was really good. I did the refeed on Sunday so I am assuming something went right.

I'll keep updating.

THNX
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:54

BF:

So, any successful refeeds out there. Lets hear the success, disappointment and failure stories.

I have been refeeding once a week for the last few weeks, and it is going very well. No carb addictions appearing. Because the new scale I got for Christmas measures in .2lb increments, I can say I have been loosing about .4lb each week.

I think they are working better than last year when I did them. Now, I avoid (the evil) high content corn syrup which means I don't drink any soda-pop, like I used to on a refeed. I basically end up only drinking water, just like the rest of the time. Increasingly, water is then only thing I drink. I tend to cheat a little and have something with some fat for dinner, like pizza (without the double cheese).

I bought a new box of Fruit Loops, mostly because it had "free" DVD - The Mask. So, I guess I will be refeeding for a while longer.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 13:15
Registered Member

BF:

I've had success with a refeed. I had planned to do a refeed on Feb 25th because the scale was moving up and before that (I gained 1.5lbs. while follwing the plan stricktly) and I had been loosing at a very slow pace.

So, I did a big time refeed on the 25th, which was more of a gorge than a refeed. Went back to induction on the 26th. I had an extremely hectic day that Friday, the 27th and was soo hungry by the time I got back to town, that I decided to go off the plan. I gave myself another day and a half break...Friday night and all of Saturday. By Sunday, the 29th, I was back on LC. I had gained 1.5lbs. before I did my reefeed. After the entire refeed was over, I gained another 3.5lbs for a total of 5lbs! Yikes!

I started indcution on 2/29 and after my first week, I lost 7lbs. That's the 5 I gained plus 2 more! I am on day 5 of my second week of induction and I am down as of today another 1.5lbs.

I am finding that having refeed opportunities makes me really believe that I can live a LC WOL. I really like the way I feel when I eat LC and I love that I am not always hungry and that I can eat lots of wonderful rich and satisfying foods. But sometimes I need some real chocolate and other goodies that are not LC. So, regular refeeds will likely become part of my WOL. I am still watching my weight loss to see when I slow down and when might be the best time to refeed. My birthday is next Thursday, so I am planning to go off that day and then get back on.

I am finding that when I get to have some free days to eat what I want, I really appreciate going back to LC and induction is not that hard at all.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:26

Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

This is very interesting! I just started induction again after a cheat and i guess it's kinda like a re feed! I'll see if it helps me any! Before that I had been stalled for almost 4 weeks. If it works then it will become a regular part of my routine!

Everyone please keep us posted on your re feed results!!!
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:27
Registered Member

Default Hmmmmm?

I tried the refeed and I think the only reason the weight didn't continue to come off since I went back to LC was because I didn't go back to induction. I'm off nuts now, and not eating after 8:00pm so I think it's really starting to come off again.

Heatherbee what do you eat on your refeeds? Just wondering.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 14:52
Registered Member

BF:

Hi amazonann7,

I have done three now. Two one meal-ers and a day and a halfer.

The first time, I had:
glass of champagne
lamb with wine reduction sauce
potatoe cake
ceaser salad
few bites of cake

2nd time, day and a half:
dinner on day one:
fish and chips
clam chowder
coconut cream pie

Next full day:
dim sum (chinesse lunch consisting of steamed and fried dumplings, most of them with shrimp)
chocolate cupcake
chocolate eclair

burger and fries
more pie from day before
wine

3rd time (just this past Monday)
dinner only:
raviolis
sour dough bread with butter
coconut cream pie (I think I have finally had my fill of that stuff!)
wine

I pretty much ate whatever I was craving. But, be careful not to overstuff yourself. It's amazing how differently carbs feel in your tummy. You will fill up faster than you used to. Just committ to getting back on after your scheduled refeed is over. I am finding that getting back on is not a problem because I know that I will get to eat good food and never be hungry. Then, when I work up to a refeed, I can hold-out for the things I really want.

I went up 1lb from my Monday dinner. It was off today after I got back from the gym and weighed myself. Also, I am making sure to do my excercise as scheduled without interuptions. I figure that I should be doing what I can to burn off some of those excess calories. This week, I am adding a few extra workouts to try to get a little more weight off if possible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes if you decide to do it!
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 14:52

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I did a refeed. Took forever to lose it. Do it again? Nope never
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 14:23

BF:

What is forever?
I usually gain 2 pounds, which then goes within 4 days of the refeed.