Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 21:29

Plan: Low Glycemic
Stats: 298/300/125 Female 5'3"
BF:Too much!
Progress: -1%
Default Refeed & Calcium?

Hi all, I have a question. I'm definately interested in trying the refeed, but I thought I'd read that during Induction, only, is when our bodies tend to lose calcium. So if we, for instance, refeed once every 7 to 10 days, and restart Induction, won't we be loosing too much calcium? Does anyone know please? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 10:23
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

You guys are braver souls than me..I want to try theese ideas but man oh man, I may never return.I miss Chinese food a lil too much.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 07:19
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogieb
I'm thinking about going for it tomorrow, with a nice big pizza from Dominos..... is it best to do a 1 meal only, or a whole day? I'm planning to do it Friday night so I have the weekend to recover from carb hangover etc.

Well, I did it, and the results have stuck......

Last Friday, I ate low carb all day, then after work went out and got a large Dominos Texas BBQ pizza (barbecue sauce so loads of sugar, chicken, bacon and other stuff) and a couple of bars of chocolate.

Ate the whole large pizza mmmmmmmm how good was that, ate one of the chocolate bars - didn't really feel like the second one. I felt like I was really drunk (which was weird for me - I've not drank for 5 or 6 years) couple of days later I was up about 1kg (about 2 pounds) , Wednesday I was slightly below my 6-week stall weight, and since yesterday I've been 800g (almost 2 pounds) below my stall weight

I've cut out all sugar alcohols and stuff for now (I'd cut them out for the last couple of weeks and I didn't unstall ) and will wait till I have some more losses before dabbling with that sort of stuff again.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 07:21

BF:

And for anyone concerned; I didn't experience any carb-hangover the next day, didn't notice any bloating or painful gas or anything, and haven't had any cravings since
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 10:39

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

If I haven't lost by Friday I'll have to try this.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:27

BF:

Hi kingb123 wow, you've lost loads

The problem that you'll have at the moment is the old "the last 10 pounds are the hardest to loose", which Dr A recommends you should loose slowly as you go through pre-maintenance.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 01:33

Good idea. Cross one more off the list - 169 today. Guess there was no big stall after all
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 18:26
Registered Member

Stats: 289.5/275/190 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I am also very intrigued by refeeding. I have been on Atkins for 1 month and lost only 7.5lbs. I haven't budged for the past week and a half. I have recently made other changes like increasing my fat to 70%, drink MORE water and take more supplements (L-carnitine, oils). I already excercise: cardio and weight lifting 3 times a week. Every morning I wake up with renewed hope that this will be the day the scale moves on down...even if it's just .5lb...something. But nothing.

I will see what tomorrow's weigh in brings and if I am still holding strong, I may plan a refeed.

I have been reading all the threads I can find on refeeding and some people have stated that refeeding is only for people who are 10-35 pounds from their goal weight. I am nowhere near there. However, I see people on this string that have more than 35lbs to loose have been very successful with refeeding.

The past few days I have wanted to have something sweet to drink, like coke or gatorade. I didn't drink many sugary drinks before LC and strangly now, those seem to be the most tasty things I can think about. Well, that and dounuts.

Do you think I should try a refeed?
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 01:33

If you're losing over 2 pounds a week, you're losing quickly. I'd strongly reccomend against refeeding
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 06:36

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

Hello Heatherbee...I don't think I would refeed just yet...For 1 you haven't been on this WOL for very long and I would think that if you are craving sweets you could easily fall off the wagon...I have heard people say it is hard to go back to eating this way and others who says theres no problem...But with you only being on it for this short period of time I would agree with kingb and say don't do it.

By the way...I think everyone goes through weeks where they don't lose a pound which is what it sounds like you are doing...Have you been measuring you inches to see if you are losing there...I didn't lose a pound the 2 week I was on this WOL and during the 6th week I only lost a pound...But during those 2 weeks I lost more inches than others weeks...You body has to adjust to the loses...
Good luck on a WOOSH FAIRY coming your way to pick up a couple pounds!!!
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:06
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your feedback kingb123 and Happygrrl.

To be honest, I am really kind of scared to refeed. While, a coke or gatorade sounds good when I see one, I am not feeling deprived by not having one. Also, I am not experiencing any hunger, which is a nice change. But I have been reading alot of threads about people that have been stalled for weeks and months. I have never been stalled more than two weeks on any other diet. And it's important to me to keep loosing, since I am getting married on May 16. I think that I will continue doing what I am doing for now and see what happens at my next weigh-in on Tuesday.

I have lost inches over the past month. I am going to start measuring weekly from now on. Here are my stats:
bust: -1.5
waist: -1.5
hips: -2
arms: -.5
legs: -.5

I also work out doing cardio and weights three times a week and do abs 2-5 times a week, which really helps take the inches off.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 01:40

May 16 is my b-day! I know how frustrating it can be when you have a goal in mind, and you're not losing, but you gotta stick with it. I'm almost at my goal now, but I've had 3 week periods where nothing happened. They were discouraging, but I kept on Atkins and now I've lost almost 50 pounds. STICK WITH IT!
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 12:16
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the encouragement kingb123! I got on the scale this morning and was down 2lbs!!! But I only count my weight loss on my official day -Tuesdays. In the meantime, I allow myself to check my weight daily to see how my weight fluctuates and if the changes I make to my eating has any impact. Needless to say, I am feeling very good about this WOL today! hehehe.

I am also wearing a pair of jeans that I counldn't wear before. It was soo bad before that I would have to keep the top button undone and tuck it under! Now they are zipped and buttoned and I can breathe too! hehehehe.

Thank you everyone for keeping me possitive and motivated through the harder days and weeks!
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 13:08

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%
Default Refeeding

I have been doing Atkins for 14 months. I have been the same weight for 3 months. I have never cheated. I guess I should try the re feed?
I know my brother in law cheats about every weekend and we have lost the same amount of weight 50 pounds.
Jagbender
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 20:01

Stats: 116/116/110 Female 5'4
BF:15%
Progress: 0%

Now I don't feel so bad. I'm into week 4 of induction (yes 4 weeks) I made it down to 111 but started adding hot sauce to my foods and woke up this morning at 115. It started out with an Atkins ice cream bar then progressed to my daughters girl scout cookies, and then some Breyer's lc ice cream. I really did it this time but promise to start a clean induction tomorrow.