Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 12:37

Plan: Atkins ("true" Induction since April 1)
Stats: 184.5/172/130
BF:yuck%/yuck%/yuck%
Progress: 23%
Talking LC Resources in HOUSTON, TX!

Hi everyone -

I'm in Houston, TX (live near the Galleria, work in the Med Center) and recently restarted Atkins Induction. I was hoping to start a thread for LC Houstonians - where we could exchange info/tips on where to find LC products, good LC restaurants, and any other helpful info? I'll start!

For example, does anyone in Houston know where I can get Diet Rite soda? I went to a Flagship Randall's yesterday, found Splenda, but no Diet Rite. Would HEB or Fiesta have it?

A Moveable Feast, located off I-10/Blalock in the Echo Lane Shopping Center has a great health food restaurant nextdoor, and they have a dish called "ATKINS SPECIAL". It's grilled veggies (some onions, kale, etc) and you can get it with tofu or chicken. It sounds really plain but it's very very yummy! It's a great store too.

Also, Taco Cabana: When in a huge rush, I've done the drive thru at TC and gotten grilled chicken/beef fajita meat, a side of shredded cheese and a small side of sour cream. It's really, really cheap and very yummy!

If anyone has other suggestions, restaurant recommendations or other cool LC "discoveries" in Houston, please share!!

Anshim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 11:36

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%
Default Hi fellow Texan

I too am in the Houston area.(Sugar Land). I found Diet Rite cola at Kroger's. I haven't tried it yet though. I am addicted to diet cherry 7 up even though it has aspertame. I just have 1 per day. It is my dessert. I am glad you started this thread.
let's see.... since induction I have been to Luby's, Saltgrass,Chili's and Outback. I have been very successful at finding low carb food there. In a rush I opt for Chick-fil-a's Chicken ceasar! It is good !
I have done the tex mex trick but I was at Ninfa's.
Let me know if you find any more spots! Also GNC in the Park Shops Downtown sells alot of Atkins Products !
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 12:39

Plan: Atkins ("true" Induction since April 1)
Stats: 184.5/172/130
BF:yuck%/yuck%/yuck%
Progress: 23%
Default Re: Hi fellow Texan

Quote:
Originally posted by hippygal
I too am in the Houston area.(Sugar Land). I found Diet Rite cola at Kroger's. I haven't tried it yet though. I am addicted to diet cherry 7 up even though it has aspertame. I just have 1 per day. It is my dessert. I am glad you started this thread.
let's see.... since induction I have been to Luby's, Saltgrass,Chili's and Outback. I have been very successful at finding low carb food there. In a rush I opt for Chick-fil-a's Chicken ceasar! It is good !
I have done the tex mex trick but I was at Ninfa's.
Let me know if you find any more spots! Also GNC in the Park Shops Downtown sells alot of Atkins Products !

Hi! Another Houstonian!

I also found Diet Rite at Kroger the other day....but I only saw the cola flavor. Have you seen any other flavors, like orange or root beer? I've seen people on these board talk about other flavors.

What did you have at Chilis and Ninfas that were Induction-friendly? I haven't been to Chilis in forever, but I LOVE tex-mex.

I'll try to check out the GNC downtown.....do you shop at Fiesta? Every Fiesta I've been in has had a big Atkins section. I think you can look up specific stores on the Atkins website...but don't go to any Randall's.....I went to two Randalls stores and they didn't have ANY Atkins products, even though they were listed on the Atkins website!

Thanks for the tips!!!

Anshim
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:12
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 186/171/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Hi Houstonians!

Hi! I live in Huffman, but work in midtown Houston. What is the scoop on Diet Rite? I generally drink diet Coke, which has 0 carbs. Is it a different sweetener?

I really enjoy the Atkins Endulge bars, which I find at Wal Mart for 96 cents.

Has anyone found Atkins ice cream? Krogers doesn't carry it - at least not the Atascocita store.

I think eating out is easy on Atkins - I opt for a chef's salad. You can't go wrong with that.

I'm so glad I made contact with other in Houston.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 18:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257/247/140
BF:36%/34%/22%
Progress: 9%

Hi Anshim!!

You should come to the party next Saturday! It is an Atkins party for everyone, there's about 12 people coming to Jillian's, very close to you! The invite is a few threads down on the page. Feel free to bring your family or a friend! Congratulations on starting a wonderful way of life!

I got Diet Rite at Kroger's, but if you have a Rice Epicurean, wow, they have Diet RC w/splenda and it is outstanding... but to answer your question about the flavors, unfortunately no. The flavors can be found at Brookshire Bros., but those stores are in the country. I know of no major chain here in Houston that sells the flavors, but you can always call the Dr. Pepper plant in Plano (they are the ones that make it) and ask where they are in H-town.

If you enjoy Root Beer, you can find Diet Root 66 made w/Splenda also at Kroger and Randall's, and possibly Rice. Not sure. It is the best diet root beer I have ever had!

I can eat at almost ANY restaurant in town--you just have to know what you are getting. I've even gotten to know the folks at Escalante's so well that DH and I bring our own low-carb tortillas to the restaurant with us--no kidding. So, we have their wonderful fajitas in our tortillas. They warm them for us and everything! They are great! I am over in Memorial near Town and Country. DH's and my favorite restaurant is Taste of Texas! OH YEAH! *giggle* Good stuff there!

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask...!

#6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 18:39

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 273.5/266.5/170
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi

I'm also looking for low carb resources in Houston! We need a low carb grocery store.

I also wanted to mention Hansen's Natural Sodas which are also made with Splenda- they come in many different fruit flavors. I have purchased them at Costco on the Katy freeway and at Central Market but I would guess that they also carry them at other stores such as HEB. Arizona Ice Tea now makes diet ice tea with Splenda instead of nutra-sweet. I have also found a few Atkins products including ice cream at the Randell's on San Felipe and Sage.

Chacho's on Westheimer just west of Fountain veiw on the north side has a "High Protien" menu where they don't include any carbs in the dish-there are several yummy items on this menu and the prices are very low.

CVS Pharmacy on Westheimer and the West Loop has a good selection of low carb bars and low carb candy.

If I find a store that has a good variety of stuff all in one place I'll let you know.

Last edited by Cookies : Tue, Jun-10-03 at 18:45.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 23:15

Stats: 215/192/145
BF:
Progress: 33%
Cool Sandy's Produce Market

Also on Dairy Ashford and I-10 there is a Sandys Produce Market that carries not only an Atkins center, but loads of Low Carb stuff, everything from Pasta, cereal, to ice cream! I love that store....probably will stop there again after I leave the Jillians Event on Saturday.. If you are coming from Katy, exit Dairy Ashford cross the light and the store is to your right on the feeder road. I don't remember the little street next to it, but it runs behind Tully Stadium.

Happy Shopping!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 11:20

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

hey guys i'm in galveston and at krogers i found SLENDER ice cream made with splenda it only has about 9 effective carbs and it is so good. tastes like the real mccoy. the atkins ice cream is nasty compared to this and for only 5 extra carbs i'll eat the slender.

i bought butter pecan and my kids and husband eat it - they can not tell the difference from regular ice cream.

they many good flavors.

where is the closest fiesta if you are coming from galveston?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:47
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

Howdy Ya'll..lol.. Finally..a thread for us houstonians. I went to BarryHill's Mex restaurante in montrose and they have an Atkins platter there also...it comes w/ fajitas of your choice, gauc,that tomoatoe thingy and a lil cup of melted cheese.. it was pretty dang good. I was driving down Heights towards I-10 and saw a lil restaurant called Hickory Hollow and the sign said that they speak Atkins there. I haven't been in yet, but I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:58

Stats: 142/135/125
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpeach
I was driving down Heights towards I-10 and saw a lil restaurant called Hickory Hollow and the sign said that they speak Atkins there. I haven't been in yet, but I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Definitely let us know how Hickory Hollow is! I have lots of friends on Atkins in Houston and we're always sharing new restaurants and price comparisons for Atkins products.

Sandy's is definitely the best, but the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Westheimer near Kirkwood has great prices on Atkins bars - $1.57 ea.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:57

Stats: 330/310/190 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress:

Hi I am a guy amd I live near Angleton but if you don't mind I will at least read what you post so I may be able to learn a little more about the do's and don'ts of atkins. Thanks
JJ
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:04
Registered Member

BF:
Angry What's happened to Endulge bars?

Hi all. I love the Atkins Endulge bars (caramel). I was buying them at the Atascocita Walmart Super Center for 97 cents. They have been out of stock for about 3 weeks now. Is anybody else finding this to be true?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 10:18

Stats: 180/172/120 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins products in Houston

I called Diet Rite and was told they only sell the Diet Cola in our area. They are not sure when we will get more of the flavors. Mississippi is the closest area that has most of the flavors. I was give a few web sites that carry the Diet Rite Sodas, so you can have it delivered to your door. 1) www.drsoda.com 2) www.low-carb.com 3) www.hometownfavorite.com

Sandy Produce on the Katy Freeway is AWESOME for Atkins products!! They sell the shakes 4 for 7.99 where as Randall's sells it for 11.99. I also bought Hanson's Diet Kiwi-Strawberry there and it is really good. They also sell another brand of ice cream there in the freezer section above the ATKINS ice cream, it has 6 or 7 carbs but has flavors like Choc-Almond , Lemon, Strawberry and Cinnamon ( which i hear is really good)

I also found a drink called Diet Slim-Lite at SAMS club on 1-10 and Fry Rd it is made with Splenda and comes in Tropical Berry, Mango-Orange, Kiwi-Strawberry and Cran-Raspberry.

Hope this helps

Barbie
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 12:13
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

the ice cream is called LeCarb..they also sell them at WalMart. I didnt' even know that there is a caramel endulge bar. I still haven't been by that restaurant...but I'll make it my mission this weekend..lol
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:25
Registered Member

BF:

Does anybody know where to buy Atkins Ice Cream in Houston?