Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Which is more desirable?
Cardio before Weights 191 44.42%
Cardio After Weights 143 33.26%
Cardio Alone 54 12.56%
No cardio just Weights 42 9.77%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

From what i understand u dont start burning until ur 20 minutes into ur cardio activity. So basically u need 20 minutes to warm up ur body. What i do is I do the weights first and the cardio so that im burning every minute im doing the cardio. I've seen better/faster results this way.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 11:53

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

That's true, Faith, unless your body is already burning fat for fuel on a regular basis, as happens with LC diets. We don't have to wait those 20 minutes like high-carbers do because we're ALWAYS burning fat.

But definitely putting weights before cardio will give you a more effective strength workout and I find that cardio afterwards (a few minutes, anyway) helps to keep muscle soreness at bay.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/180/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%

Couldnt vote but I do cardio before and after I do weights
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 15:24

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I do cardio then weights
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 19:23

Plan: Atkins and Dr. Ellis Plan .. basically, low carb
Stats: 245/223/180 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

to me ... cardio is fun ... that's where I burn calories .. but where I shape my body is lifting weights ... I do that first ....It's the intensity of weight training that will make the most difference in your muscles .... cardo ... I do every day aslo ... but because it take pleasure from that .. do it last
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 17:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/148/125 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

i, myself have just starting working out about 2 weeks ago. I walk very fast on the threadmill for 2 miles 1st. then do 3-4 reps of light weight lifting. I have gotten a little discouraged because I weighed today and had gained 2 pounds...I am eating what I am suppose to. could the working out make ya gain weight??? freaks me out!!! Byrdie
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 23:43
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

ALL Bodybuilders do their cardio after the weights.

A lot do it on another day. To much cardio seems to hinder the growth of muscle, so they do about 20 min. max
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 23:46
Registered Member

Hey guy's: lifting to often is BAD. Light weights have no use at all.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 02:17

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Correction: light weights are better than no lifting at all. However, if indeed they have no use at all, it is then impossible to lift too often.

Hint: do not discourage those who are trying to learn lest they stop even trying.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:58
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayeyes
Correction: light weights are better than no lifting at all. However, if indeed they have no use at all, it is then impossible to lift too often.

Hint: do not discourage those who are trying to learn lest they stop even trying.

Hello fridayeyes,

You are right I should be some more gentle, I would only like to stimulatie the low carb cracks to get some more to the point on the issue of muscle-growth
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Watcher: why is lifting often bad? Seems the success of many eastern european lifters would dispute that point. And lifting lighter weights is not necessarily bad when done in the context of recuperation or injury treatment.

Perhaps many on this forum are looking for results based on goals other than "bodybuilding" in nature, which means often other means to an end.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:27

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Heavy lifting needs at least a day in between muscle groups for proper recovery, sometimes more. This is why body builders tend to rotate their workouts, Upper body one day, lower another, etc. Light weights are much less demanding on the body, and so can be done more often. I think that Watcher is primarily thinking of strength training and body building. While I tend that way myself, it isn't what most people on the General exercise forum are into.

Unfortunately, our society also gives women a lot of misconceptions about exercise. (Like "Women shouldn't lift because they will get big, also implying that 'big' is unfeminine and undesireable, etc.)

I believe that any exercise is better than none. If people choose not to lift, that's really up to them. As for me, HIIT cardio and lift big.

Cheers,

Friday

Last edited by fridayeyes : Tue, Apr-13-04 at 20:30.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 03:29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel
Watcher: why is lifting often bad? Seems the success of many eastern european lifters would dispute that point. And lifting lighter weights is not necessarily bad when done in the context of recuperation or injury treatment.

Perhaps many on this forum are looking for results based on goals other than "bodybuilding" in nature, which means often other means to an end.

You are right about recuperation and injury treatment, allthoug I personally would also there use heavy weights. Heavy is relative. I someone can only move once his finger for 1 cm you have a starting point. Next time 2 reps! Later 2 cm!

You have to carefully go up to the point where ´heavy´ starts for the person in question. No gym or therapeut I know of is doing this like I just mentioned. I do this with my mother who has a bad shoulder. I seems to work.

Lifting often in general is 'bad' if your target is musclegrowth. If you want to be able to lift something 100 times it is ok, but why would one want to?

Lifting often has no use for burning fat as far as I know.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 03:33
Registered Member

Good post Friday ,

What is your HIIT routine? I am not sure about the 2nd I in HIIT, maybe it could be useful for myself?
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:00

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

HIIT is high intensity interval training - an energy systems training protocol not a resistance training protocol

if you do a google search on HIIT you will find many variations
[1 min sprint, 30 sec rest] * some number of intervals
[400m sprint, equal rest] * some number of intervals
[800m sprint, 1 min rest] * some number of intervals
[20 sec sprint, 10 sec rest] * 8 intervals ("tabata")
etc.