Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 07:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Congrats on the weight loss Beach!!

According to the DANDR book, we should count "net carbs", which is total carbs minus fiber and/or sugar alcohol carbs. You should be careful though, because some companies already subtract it, which would make the total carbs actual. I try to exclusively buy certain products like that at health stores that carry Atkins and other low-carb products, since I know I'm getting honest facts on the label. Just be aware that these foods are expensive... so use sparingly. Those tortillas last forever in the fridge...
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 07:44

Plan: My Own Thing
Stats: 299/222.5/160 Female 5'10"
BF:EEK!
Progress: 55%

Thanks Bon!!
I am going to Wellspring Whole Foods today (that's our health food store). I will look for the low-carb tortilas. On other sites, I have seen where there is a tortilla chip CarbSense that is sold at Wal-Mart ($1.99 per bag). I am going there today to see if I can find them.

Isn't it awful...it is so much more expensive to eat healthy!

(Thanks for the cheers btw. Last night I felt like I was cheating. I had a TON of buffalo wings, celery, blue cheese dressing and the topping off of a pepperoni pizza) (mmmmmmmmmmmm!) I feel like I have been given a credit card with no limit and have been told I don't have to pay the bill! WOOOO HOOOO!
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:05

Hey guys...
Just got back from the store. I was in the soft drink aisle and was looking at the diet drinks to see which one's didn't have aspartame in them. Along with Diet Rite, Diet Cheerwine is made with the same stuff Splenda is made of (sucralose). I didn't check many of the drinks, because I felt like all Pepsi and Coke products would have the same sweetener.

Just thought I would pass this along.

(Also, I posted this as a thread, but I just got back from the health food store) (bought some of the tortilla's you were talking about Bon)...and I bought the BEST dessert! It's made by Desserts of Distinction, it is a No Sugar Added Cheesecake that ONLY HAS 2 EFFECTIVE carbs!!

While I was in the health food store, I was talking to a couple of people and they quickly pointed out that I was going by the "old" Dr Atkins book. (They were giving me the formula's that you gave me Bon.) I want to make sure I am doing this right....I can have 20 effective carbs per day...right??

Well, off to Wal-Mart to buy some Indulge Bars (another 2 carber....I think I have died and gone to heaven ya'll)
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:19
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Yes, you can have 20 net carbs per day, beach!

BON: I got my BA and MA in English from UNC-Wilmington...lived there for 8 years.
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:27

Hi kristy....
OK...blonde here ya know...
Is that 20 net (effective) carbs?
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 17:31

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

HI ladies,

Beachdream: You are still on Induction - I'd hesitate before running out and getting all the bars, desserts, etc. They may set you back. I've heard so many people complain that they give them problems. I'd at least wait your two weeks. On induction you are supposed to stick primarily to the meat, salad, vegatables.

Bon: Thanks for the info on the tortillas. I looked at Harris Teeter tonight. I asked one of the stock boys if they carried LC tortillas and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said What?? I said, just tell me where the tortillas are, that's okay. Anyway....they had 19 carbs, 3 gr fiber. But a net of 16 c is still way too high for me. So I passed.

You girls will be proud of me. It's my anniversary today. We treated a young friend of ours to McDonalds for lunch. I thought I was going to carb out - but I didn't. Had the meat from dbl cheeseburger, side salad and diet soda. I'm so proud of myself.

Then got tempted to eat dinner out and go crazy, but instead grabbed London broil from Harris Teeter. Yaaaaahhhh! I hope the whoosh fairy looks favorably upon me tonight!!! I'm really proud of myself.
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 17:36

Yeah, I know RandiSu...*sniff....but it was SOOOOO good!

#98   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 18:03
Fit and Happy

Yes, beach LOL! That is 20 net (effective) carbs. TEE HEE! I am assuming you mean effective as being those that "count" (after deducting fiber, sugar alcohols, etc. from total carbs).
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 18:04
Fit and Happy

Randi, I AM very proud of you. When I go to McDonalds, that is what I get, minus the diet soda. I can't tolerate Nutrasweet anymore.
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 18:18

Hey everyone...wouldn't it be cool if we could all meet in person some where??? I am willing to drive (I am out of work until the 25th) We don't have to do it now...but I was just thinking.

Now Bon....anytime you need an associate seashell collector...I would be more than happy to assist!!

#101   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 05:12

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Beachdream: You are always so funny. I think we have a great little group. I'd definitely be up to everyone meeting providing the drive isn't too far. I'm unemployed and penniless (literally).

It does really help to have your pictures by your names. I keep thinking I need to grab the digital and get my mug out there, too.

Anyway, I'm open to having an LC get together.

I didn't cheat yesterday, but I'm still eating sweetener. Had lots yesterday, several diet sodas, my veggies, eggs, cheese. I'm up .5 pd today. It's frustrating. I keep telling myself that I have to quit the sweetener, but I'm like a junkie.

Have you ever heard of anyone that gets stomach or abdominal pains from sweeteners. DH and I are concerned. I've had abdominal pains for over 2 weeks. They seem to bother most at night. When I get up in theAM, I'm very tender and sore. I have killer backache with it, too. But as I get up and move around it goes away.....any thoughts?
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 14:08

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Hiya ladies,

Hey Beach: Yes, from my understanding you can have 20 net carbs per day... but be sure to follow the induction rules about eating only certain foods. Those tortillas aren't induction, but are okay if you're past that. Seashells??? You should see my house. I've been collecting them years before I moved here... now they're just easier to get. My home decor focuses on seashells and palm trees. You love the beach WAY too much to be so far away... I predict you'll eventually make tracks this way. I'm sure you'll be able to talk the family into it.

Hey RandiSue: The last thing I ate at Mickey D's was scrambled eggs and bacon, UGH!! Only thing I really liked there was their fries... I think they have the best of all the take-out places. I'm not even tempted to stop there anymore, lol. About sweeteners... which ones are you using? I get cramping and gas from eating sugar-free chocolates... so I've cut WAY back. I still indulge in some ice cream, since it doesn't seem to affect me the same way. You may want to try cutting back on some of your dairy, especially if you never ate much dairy prior to going LC. Hope you feel better soon...

Hey Kristy: Soooo, you're a former Wilmingtonian... do you miss it here? I work at Cape Fear Community College, but have never been on the UNCW campus. If I ever decided to go for my BA, that is where I'll be.

Well ladies, time for dinner. I'm trying to get caught up on all my e-mails since our cable was out since yesterday due to storms. Have a great week all... look forward to chatting again!
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 07:22

Plan: no/low sugar
Stats: 265/216/? Female 5'3"
BF:too much
Progress:

Good Morning y'all! Can I join in? Have been a lurker for a while now and have enjoyed reading your posts. I live in Robeson County between Fayetteville and the SC line. Born & bred in NC. Have a husband of 32 years, 2 elderly dachs & 2 cats (rescued).

Had to retire early from my profession due to some health problems in 2000, and found I was diabetic in January this year. Started on a diabetic diet then + meds, but after several months of that, my BS was not as low as it should have been in spite of losing 50 pounds, so I put myself on a low carb diet, somewhere between Atkins & Sugar Busters. My weight loss stopped at that point, but my BS is way down...yipee! I see my provider next week and will see what she wants me to do...lose more weight or keep my BS down...lol. I have been heavy all my life, so skinny would be a lifestyle I would have to adjust to. Right now I am concentrating on keeping my blood sugar down.

For breakfast this morning I had...2 slices bacon, 2 eggs, 1 WW tortilla & 2 cups of coffee with equal. The tortilla is 19 gr. carbs, but doesn't bother my BS too much.

For lunch, will probably be a dish of "Seafood Salad" that I get from Wallyworld. A container of that is $1.98 and I get approx. 4-5 servings out of it. 1/2 cup serving is 7 carbs.

Well y'all have a great day!
Linda
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 07:33

Hi Linda...
Welcome aboard...(silly girl...of course you can join in)

Best of luck! and keep us posted!
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:35
Fit and Happy

Welcome, Linda!

I would love to meet up with everyone. That would be great!

Bon: What do you do at Cape Fear?

Randi: Yes, I have heard that too much sweetener CAN cause stomach problems. You may want to try to cut back gradually.