Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:18
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Yes! That is the one across from my church that I mentioned before, Randi!

Beachdream, you crack me up!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:15

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

A gal also from Newton presented her ministry to the group. She heads King's Kids Education Program. They are on 213 N College Ave. Sounds like they are doing fantastic things for children as very low cost. They are also trying to develop a Teen Center. I know that type of thing is always needed in a community.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:05

Plan: My Own Thing
Stats: 299/222.5/160 Female 5'10"
BF:EEK!
Progress: 55%

Hey ya'll....

I got on the scales this morning...I was *focused*....I could hear the "Rocky" theme playing as I was walking in the bathroom. **FOCUS FOCUS...I CAN DO IT!!** I haven't weighed since my surgery (7 weeks ago)...I noticed my shorts were getting a little tighter...but I thought maybe I was just bloated...YEAH YEAH...BLOATED...12 lbs BLOATED.

I gained 12 friggin pounds!! (friggin??...dang, I need to quit hanging out with New Yawkers)

I would say to myself..."How the he..heck did I do that???" But I know how.

*bowing head.

Dang you Krispy Kreme and Dewey's Bakery!! (zzzzzaaaaaaaaaappppp) (putting a curse on them!!)

BUT....I started my diet today...and I haven't cheated once...ok ok...I really don't know exactly how many carbs I have had...but I don't think I have gone over.

DIET FAIRY...TAKE ME AWAY!!!!

Last edited by beachdream : Wed, Aug-13-03 at 19:11.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 06:47

BF:

Beachdream,

I know how hard and frustrating it can be to see the scale going in the wrong direction! I can only tell you of my own struggles. Use the frustration in a positive way. Commit yourself to losing that weight.

I went to EDiets today and read some of the ATkins success stories. They really encouraged me and I feel more committed to doing everything right. I want to be a success story (for myself and my family). I want to be the one proud to say I lost 90 lbs and by God's grace I am going to keep them off.

You really should, at least for a week or two, count your carbs. (Never thought I'd hear myself saying that!). I took the advice of so many and finally went out to FitDay and entered my carbs faithfully for a couple of weeks. It's so easy to fool ourselves that we are keeping under 20 c./day when we are really at 25-30 c. or more. If you don't do induction as directed, you will just experience more frustration. We want you to experience great success. We will all be here to encourage you.

So, you go girl!!!
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:13
Fit and Happy

Don't get discouraged, beachdream! You can do this!

Randi, there is a new really GREAT natural food store that sells Atkins products (the full line) in Hickory on Hwy. 127 in the Dairy Queen shopping center. I just went there the other day and bought $100 worth of Atkins stuff! EEK!
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:21

Hey Everyone!!!

I have lost 2 lbs since yesterday!!! WOO HOO!!
I haven't cheated at all today...although, I did have a chunk of carbs at lunch. (had a shrimp fajita quesadilla...made with a low carb tortilla (2.5 g))

I am so proud!! *happy dance*

I can't get discouraged...*sniff...I have you guys!! (group hug)
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 09:30
Fit and Happy

Good for you! That is awesome!
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 12:35

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%
Default Howdy neighbors

Well, not really neighbors, but fellow North Carolinians...

Hi there everyone! I'm a former Hickory-area resident. Moved there from CT back in 1993. Moved around a bit from '93 - '98, living in Hildebran, Hickory, Connelly Springs, and Vale. Cost of living was way better than in CT. Lost my job in '98 and DH and I moved east to Cumberland County. Wasn't close enuff to the beach for me, so after I graduated from college last year, we moved AGAIN... this time to the Wilmington area. Not going anywhere from here... (we'd be in the water if we did, lol) exactly where we wanted to be all along.

Western NC never really felt like home to me right from the start. I never felt like I belonged there. Sometimes felt like the native residents resented all of us "yankees" moving into their territory. Plus, lots of jobs going south, to Mexico, like mine did. I missed the beach terribly, having lived very close to the CT coast.

Anywho, glad I found this post and got a chance to say HI! Happy LCing!

Smiles
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 12:42

Hi Bon!!!
I can see already we have something in common....THE BEACH!! My goodness! I would move there if I could lose 215 pounds...but he's a pretty good hubby, so I'll keep him around for a while.

Welcome to the group...and we welcome yankee transplants here! (some of my best friends are New Yawkers)

Good Luck! And keep us posted as to how it is going!
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 14:38

BF:

Hi 'ya all!

Kristy: Great news on the Atkins stuff. Let me know how it all works out. I won't be buying any specialty stuff until I have some income coming into the house!

Beachdream: Congrats on being "such a good girl." We all knew you could do it. I hope this gave you the umph to keep on without cheating. Keep us posted as to the progress.

Bon: Welcome. I guess everyone has their loves. That's what makes life interesting. You are the complete oppose of me and DH. We love to visit the ocean, but love the foothills. We're living just outside of Taylorsville, and we could be happier.

I'm struggling here, girls. I've gotten hooked on the sweet taste of splenda. So I'm eating too much of it. I do fine all day, then want sweets at night. It's a terrible habit: sweets and TV. I'm an addict!!

I brought home chicken from Lowes tonight. Our 12th anniv is tomorrow and Lemon Pepper chicken sounded good. Got DH his favorite peach pie, too. I can easily leave that alone.

However, tomorrow I'm eating McDonalds. We're going to see a young friend of ours. Hopefully taking him to lunch. And I will enjoy!
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 14:52

BF:

Kristy: Beachdream talked about low carb tortillas (2.5 c). Do you know where I can get something like that in Hickory? The whole wheat ones are like 9 c. and that's way too much.

Beachdream: Where do you buy your tortillas?
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:09

Well guys...here's the tortilla update.....

I thought that 2.5 seemed awful low....I did my math wrong. On the back of the package it only says "10% of RDA" (which it says 250) I carried my decimal in the wrong place..it is ACTUALLY 25 GRAMS!!! I am surprised I lost anything at all yesterday!! (And I only figured this out after my lunch today...which also included a tortilla!

Sorry about the confusion, but I have been very disciplined today (other than what we will now refer to as the "tortilla incident". (And amazingly NOT hungry)

Question, the family is wanting Buffalo Wings and Pizza tonight. I know I can't have the pizza...but what about Buffalo Wings? (they aren't breaded...they are just deep fried and covered in hot sauce) They are ok...aren't they???

Keep up the good work everyone!!
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:11

Oh *sniff....in answer to your question RandiSu....I buy my tortillas (all 25 grams of them) at Lowe's
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 05:11

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Hey Ladies,

I bought some tortillas at a local health food store. 11 g carbs minus 8 g fiber = only 3 g carbs per tortilla. They come in assorted flavors, too, like herb garlic, onion and plain. I also bought Atkins Ketch-a-tomato, which is a sugar-free ketchup... yummm!

These foods aren't cheap, but I use them sparingly. Hope you find a good health food place so you can avoid those nasty 25 g carb tortilla versions. Keep fighting the good fight!
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:34

Question...
I think I have been doing my "figuring" all wrong. When we figure up our carbs, do we subtract our fiber grams from our total Carb grams and that's what gives us our correct value? (looking at Bon's last post)

Thanks!

(btw...got on the scales this morning...dropped another lb...so 4 lbs in 3 days!)