Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:47

Plan: Own Plan
Stats: 217/182/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Changing from Atkins to CAD

Hello lo carbers,
I am new here but not to lo carbing. I have been on Atkins since Jan 6 '02. Am considering changing to CAD for healthy heart upon the advice of my physician, but quite nervous about the plunge. My bad cholesterol and triglycerides went down considerably during Atkins, but doctor still feel should watch the fats since my blood test for "C9' is high. He said this is something new that even patients with low cholesterol and tri gly but with high "C9" were found to be at risk for heart attack.
I am glad I found this forum where there are lots of nice , supportive, informative members.

Am just wondering what the body reaction will be to all the carb pouring in during the Reward meal? Is there a weight gain at the start from all those carbs?

Thanks,
Orchid
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:32

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

During a well balnced reward meal-the carbs don't just pour in. Eating the salad helps to curb your appetite. After eating this much salad only 1/3 of your intake can be carb foods. You must match the carbs with protein and LC veggies. Most days I eat between 40 and 80 carbs and that doesn't count subtracting indigestible fiber. I guess 40 to 80 carbs may seem like a lot after atkins, especially after induction, but the reward meal is not a carb free for all-it needs to be carefully planned and balanced. Welcome to a great WOE.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 22:25

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I did Atkins for a long time, but ran out of energy, and couldn't master systematically increasing carbs. I didn''t think I would stand a chance on CALP because I thought I would be totally out of control in the RM and never get under control again. On the contrary, I find that I have no major problems with the RM. My appetite is under control always (unless I do something very stupid, separate discussion!). Generally I am quite disciplined about the RM - I start with my salad, have equal portions of veggie, protein & carb. I plan my carbs to be special things that I like a lot & missed on Atkins - such as fresh strawberry shortcake today. Occasionally I have something way unbalanced for my RM - on special occasions, dining out or at a friends, social club at work, or whatever. My hard & fast rule for these times is to finish within an hour. I have a salad first if practical.

I am not losing, but I didn't lose on Atkins. But this is a program that I can live with and my appetite and energy levels are under control, so I'm happy!

Lila
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 05:36
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Orchid
A lot of people gain 2-3 pounds when switching from Atkins to CAD/CALP. It generally goes away within a week. Strive for balance at RM and give it time for your body to become accustomed and the weight will come off. Watch out for sensitivities to foods because that can cause increased weight and cravings.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 07:58

BF:

Good Morning Low carbers,

Donna- Thank you for the welcome. Yes after being on induction 40- 80 in one day seem a lot . Thanks for the reminder that the RM is not a carb free for all.

Lial- Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to the RM now I won't have to have "mock danish" or mock potatoes.

Zuleikaa - Glad to know that the wt gain is possible but temporary.

Am going to pinch my nose and plunge in. Here we go.
Will start today. Wish me the Luck of Irish

Have a nice lo carbing day everybody.

Orchid
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 17:43

Plan: CAD/sureslim
Stats: 275/?/190
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Orchid,
I too am just beginning CAD after changing from Atkins.
I am nearly at the end of week one and haven't lost any weight yet. Some days my weight has gone up just over three pounds which freaks me out but I am trusting the program and understand as Zuleikaa said that some people do that. I feel it is starting to settle down now and is adjusting.
When I look at others stats I feel reassured because they are losing on this WOL....so I trust it will happen with me....I just want it now
I feel so much better on CAD and it's great to be able to enjoy a reward meal every day.
Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 06:53

BF:

Good Morning Yogibear,
How are you doing? Stay with the plan and I know it will happen.
Saturday I had my RM at brunch and I was so sure I will gain but thank God I hanged on to my 2 # loss .

I think it will get easier as we go on making the right choices specially during the RM . I have to really buckle down and DECIDE which hi carb food I would like to include in my meal and balanced it with LC veggies and protein.

Donna and myself will be meeting in the Chat room Sat 9:00 pm Eastern US time. What time would that be in Australia. Hope you can meet us there.

Orchids
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 06:17

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Re: Changing from Atkins to CAD

Quote:
Originally posted by orchids77

snip
Am just wondering what the body reaction will be to all the carb pouring in during the Reward meal? Is there a weight gain at the start from all those carbs?

Thanks,
Orchid

Hi, Orchid.....glad to see you pondering this change carefully.......

Do you have your book(s) yet? Read them? Did you notice the part about insulin release when you eat? How about the 60-minute limit at RM? Balancing RM?

Think not of the "carbs pouring in", but the "insulin pouring out", and I think your mind will rest easy.

Some folks do gain coming off Atkins and starting CAD. The weight usually comes off in a matter of a couple of weeks, while you feel and eat fantastic!

The important thing is to understand the insulin concept, control the insulin release, and don't try to mix Atkins in w/ your CAD.

The balanced meals that you work toward and limiting your RM to not more than 60 continuous minutes is key.....understand it!

Good luck.....see you again real soon.

Last edited by skyspinner : Tue, Mar-18-03 at 06:18.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 17:45

BF:

Hi Sky,

Thanks for the info.

This woe amazes me so. I had popcorn with my RM last night and I lost another 1/2 lb.!!

BTW love the "butterfly" on you siggie. Love flowers ,butterflies and gardening.

Orchids
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 10:14

BF:

Switching to CAD is really worth it. So far 3.5 # gone

Have a nice Cadding day everyone!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 14:57

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

I'm glad you're enjoying CAD. It's a wonderful program!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 09:09

BF:

Indeed it is a wonderful program.
No wt loss today but I am happy am feeling good.
Yesterday's menu
Am none
Lunch : We went to Tim Horton's for lunch. Their soups and sandwiches were good. I ate too much of the rst beef, ham and cheese no bread. no soup.
Water and vitamin supplements
Dinner:
Steamed cauli and brocc
Left over Fried Chicken
1/2 Roll with rst beef
6 salsa chips
Tea

Too much food and salty things -- maybe that's why no wt loss today. I will do better today.
Have nice Cadding day.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 10:05

BF:

orchids,

You're right not to worry too much about the no weight loss today since you probably did have a lot of salt/sodium in your RM.

I'm glad you're enjoying the program, though. I love it so much! It's almost unbelievable how easy it is to follow! And now that spring is here, it should get even easier, cause like Zule has been saying all winter, our bodies try to hold on to weight during the winter for "survival".

So, keep with it and may all your weighins be pleasant!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 12:52

BF:

Hi Cindi,

Thanks for the encouragement, I do need it.

Nice to know about that theory of "survival".

It is almost 2:00pm 4 more hrs I can have my RM. Am I nuts? or am I nuts?

Now when shopping I find that I don't have to avoid the bread aisle

Thanks have a nice Cadding day.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 11:21

BF:

THE SUN! IT'S OUT! I'm so excited to see it! It seems like forever! And it's 63* too! Guess probably not quite that warm in Michigan, though. I lived in New Baltimore and Roseville for a total of 3 years. I never could adjust to it. I was so glad when DH got a job back in the south. We still have friends there and my sis lives in Toledo, OH. I miss seeing her.. We use to do a lot together back then.

But I do hope it is warmer than it has been so you can enjoy the first day of spring!!! I love spring!

No, you aren't nuts counting down to RM. I do it too! I love to eat, though, so I even count down to my CM's! It's just that I can really dream about the RMs ahead of time and plan all the good food I'm gonna have!