Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 10:26

Plan: Atkins, OWL stage
Stats: 180/137/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 86%

How much of everything are you using? Should the chicken broth cover the cauliflower when your cooking it? Ti sounds good
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 14:02

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I make this but a little different. I use bouillon powder instead of the premade broth and add cubed cheddar in the blender before I puree the whole thing. I've also made it and kept the cauliflower as the base veggie, but also added spinach, zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms...

This soup is great for after dental work or when you're sick or for those cold winter days when you want a nice bowl of hot soup. My kids LOVE this soup, too, so I make triple batches -- good way for them to get their veggies in, too

As for amounts, I use 4-5 cups of water, add 1 tbsp of chicken bouillon powder (like OXO) and 1/2 - 3/4 of a head of cauliflower. Cook until soft. In the mean time, add 1/4 cup each of heavy cream and cubed cheddar chunks (sharper the better) and some pepper to your blender. When the cauliflower is really soft, pour the whole potful (broth and all) into the blender and puree for about 30 seconds. OMG, this is soooo good! If you're adding other veggies, just throw them in with the cauliflower and increase the broth/cream/cheese as needed.

You could use a lower fat milk/soy/etc. but it will be thinner/less creamy, of course. The cauliflower is what helps make it nice and thick so it should still be great. Oh, BTW, if you're not big on cauliflower you don't taste it much. Have fun and experiment with different ingredients (including bacon bits, different broth flavours, bits of chicken or beef, all kinds of veggie combinations).
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 10:43

Plan: atkins/body sense
Stats: -/-/- Female 69''
BF:
Progress:
Default cream of cauliflower soup

sorry I was away and missed the last 2 posts.

I used a "huge" head of cauliflower, the broth just came to the top of my chopped cauliflower...I added a pat of butter...simmered until done and removed about a cup of the cooked to add for texture at the end ....then used my Braun hand held blender until smooth. My seasonings were...onion powder, curry powder and pepper....all to taste. Then added back the cup I had taken out....served with grated cheddar and crispy bacon as toppings. I was a huge hit!!! I froze a couple of bowls for another day....that's the best!!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 13:16

Plan: Atkins, OWL stage
Stats: 180/137/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 86%

Thanks so much .. I'll try it tonight
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 10:40

Plan: atkins/body sense
Stats: -/-/- Female 69''
BF:
Progress:

I forgot to mention the 250 ml. of creamo.....added after it was blenderized.....oooooops!! sorry.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 14:00

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207.2/162.6/137.0 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 64%

This sounds really yummy, I will have to try it this weekend!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 18:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

I made this in my crockpot with a few changes. Forgot the bacon and the celery. I put the chix broth and cauliflower cooking on high with garlic and white pepper for about 5 hours. When I got home I added chunks of pepper jack and cheddar cheese, & heavy cream. Let that cook a little and then used my hand blender to puree it a little. Sprinkled more shredded cheddar on top. So nice and creamy and a good comfort food for a chilly day. Thanks for the recipe. Many variations of this can be made. My DH put in a couple chopped hotdogs in his.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-06, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%
Default Cream of Cauliflower Soup

Cream of Cauliflower Soup 2 servings

1-1/2 C cauliflower florets
1/4 C sliced celery
1 garlic clove, pushed thru a press
1/2 C water
Salt to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper
1/3 C low-sodium chicken broth, water added to make 1/2 C
1/4 C heavy cream

Simmer the cauliflower, celery and garlic in the water for 15 minutes. Place into a blender and blend until smooth. While running, remove the stopper and stream in the broth and the cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or chilled. For a 'restaurant flair' top with cracked black pepper, a few shreds of cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, and crumbled bacon.

I don't know the carb count. I just used amounts of veggies that fit into Induction as found in the newest NDR book. This soup is just wonderful.

Last edited by ElleH : Mon, Sep-25-06 at 12:28.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 18:39
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

This sounds really good. I have all of the ingredients so I think I'll make it tomorrow for lunch.
Thanks for the recipe.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 13:31

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Cream of Sunchoke Cauliflower Soup Bisque

With my post about Sunchokes on Kitchen Talk I thought I would post a soup I modified from http://www.cooksister.com/2006/01/jerusalm_artich.html.

Sorry I do not know the carb count, but I know this has tons of fiber...Also there seems to be some question of "real" carb count since Sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichokes) have no starch...Anyway, this was very good...

1/2 lb of Sunchokes trimed of knots, but not peeled (keep in vinegar water until you place them in the pot because they brown)
1/2 head of Cauliflower, cut up
1 diced carrot
2 or 3 stalks of celery with leaves for more flavor
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 or 2 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cream
1/4 stick of butter
2 chicken bullion cubes
Good Quality Water to cover Veggies to Boil
Thickener of Choice (agar or other food gum)
1 Tbspn of Brandy to finish (optional)

1. In a 4 quart dutch oven pot I cook the sun chokes in enough water to cover them with about a tablespoon of vinegar until almost tender, about 10 minutes or so.
2. Then toss in the other veggies in pot as well as onion and garlic, and bullion cubes cover with more water and cook until everything is tender, and water is reduced a bit, about 15 more minutes.
3.This produces a great veggie broth that can be salted and peppered to taste. Then I toss it all in the blender, adding the cream and butter, and blend everything until it is a fine bisque.
4. Place back in stock pot and cook for about five minutes more then add food gum at the end to thicken and a table spoon or two of brandy to finish.

This makes about 6 big servings or 8 smaller servings. It tastes really good and I know the carb count is a bit high for everyday, but it is all veggies, no starch (sun chokes have inulin) and loaded with nutrients. If you think you can give a realistic count for the soup please let me know. If you have more info on Sun Chokes please let me know as well...

Thanks
Kellie
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 16:52

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 257/232/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I made this and froze it for a quck lunch- it was sooo good I had to post a reply to bump it up. I left out the celery (not a fan) and cut te recipe in half, but OMG, it is sooo yummy!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 18:00
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniselisa
I made this and froze it for a quck lunch- it was sooo good I had to post a reply to bump it up. I left out the celery (not a fan) and cut te recipe in half, but OMG, it is sooo yummy!
I'm glad you posted that you successfully froze this soup! This recipe sounds really good, and I want to try it, but I'd like to freeze a few servings for quick meals.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 18:55

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

glad this was revived

I know what I'm doing with the leftover cauli casserole now.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 18:59
Operation Ann 2013

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

This does sound good! I must try it, as I appear to be on a soup kick! Keeping the bump!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 19:02

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

i've made it with leeks and ran it through the food processor to make a mock potato and leek soup.

yum.