Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 16:36

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Not in Ketosis

Help! Just got some ketone strips from Netrition (good deal?-100 is around 7.95 from LWS brand) just tried one ( 5 PM EST) and it looks like I'm negative-a light tan/pink. Sunday will be 2 weeks on induction. Seem to be losing some inches, you know the "bloat". What's going on? Carbs are staying at 20-21 (depending on green tea, decaf coffee, etc). Had a cup of decaf green tea and water before I got home. Too diluted to tell??Been tracking my foods on fitday. I should be slightly pink.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/232/145
BF:
Progress: 30%

I wouldn't let the strips dictate if you are in ketosis. While they work well for some people they don't for others. I had a really hard time with them and finally learned other signs my body produced when in Ketosis... e.g. bad breath, smell of urine. (gross I know). When you are testing can also have an impact. I have seen some people say in the morning and some say only at night. They also say that some people won't register ketones on the strips for several different reasons depending on foods you ate, to water flushing it all out, to exercise using up all the ketones, etc. I finally threw mine out because I would get so discouraged if it wasn't purple even though I was still loosing! Have you posted any menus so folks can take a look at what your eating and let you know if they see something off balance?

Some people also take longer to get into Ketosis then others... everyone is different. Hope this sheds some light. You should surf around the board there are tons of topics on this subject, that might be of interest to you. Good luck!

Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 20:22
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Apparently those strips only test for one kind of keytones and there are more than one kind. That might be why you don't see anything on the strip.

Seeing results is the best test anyway.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 21:23

Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

Frustrating I know, I've got the strips and they do work for me but I don't rely on them at all, in fact I've gotten down to using them 1x per week or every couple of days.

There are several signs I rely on. First my pee smells horrible. That is gross but a sign that I am burning it off. Second that nasty taste in my mouth. Gross again but a good sign. Third I don't know how to describe it other than I can actually "feel" my metabolism up and running. There is a difference in my body from when I am sluggish and just starting to wake up versus being awake and moving around....It's hard to explain like I said but it's a sign to me that my body is doing it's job.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 22:03
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Don't Bother

Not only do those strips not work for everyone, they only show any colors when your body is actively dumping out ketones. That doesn't happen all day every day. The other signs people listed are just as reliable if not moreso. I've never even bothered with those stips. They are expensive and who needs them?

Good Luck!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 23:22
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I agree... only used them for a while...NEVER was in ketosis. I finally let them get so old I threw them out.

Pay attention to your body and the signals the others wrote about...and your inches.

Now about your weight staying the same...how long have you been on induction, and can you post a sample menu??

BTW, I've heard people say that drinking tons of water can dilute your urine so that it barely registers on those strips...dunno, but one more reason not to rely on them so much.

Good luck...hang in there. If you follow the plan, drink your water and get in some activity, you can't go wrong.

#7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 04:01

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks so much for all the replies.

I think I need help with lunch and midafternoon snacks. I take crustless quiche or some other protein with salad or vegtables, find I still miss a "sweet" at the end of lunch. Started having 1/2 of an Atkins advantage bar.

3-4 PM is when I want to have something again, especially since I try and exercise when I get home and don't want to drag into the house wanting food instead. Don't like solo vegetables to snack on, I find they make me hungrier, I need some different portable snack ideas.

Anyway, I am hanging in there, I have a feeling it is pilot error and not the flight plan, LOL!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:46
Registered Member

Stats: 270/232/145
BF:
Progress: 30%

Do you like hot tea?? I find a cup of hot tea with a bit of Splenda takes away my sweet tooth. As for snack ideas since you don't like plain veggies there are TONS of options. Hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, string cheese, beef jerky (just read the labels some made with sugar) cold cuts, pork rinds (I'm not a fan of). I always get a roasted chicken for our deli and keep it in the fridge so if I have a snack attack before dinner I can slice off a small piece and munch. As far as eating half an advantage bar that *could* be stalling you. It is different for everyone if the bars stall you or not. Just something to keep in mind. Above all keep it up you are doing awesome and just have faith and you will see the pounds come off. It truly does take patience...

Jenn