Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 23:36
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 230/203/145
BF:
Progress: 32%
Talking Calling all fellow Oregonians! And SW Washinton members!

Would greatly appreciate LOCAL support from my fellow LC buddies! I don't post that often mainly because I find what I am trying to convey has already been said. And I am shy, (not). Customer service +. Need I say more. I have 70 Lbs to go and would like to connect with some locals. My business is moving to Lake Oz area and I know one of you out there is in this area. Great Low carb store!
I saw that the last post was back in 2002. let's get something started for 2003! what do you say?? Hope to hear from you soon.
Jules
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/147/120
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi from a fellow Oregonian and Oregon City resident! I'm new to the low carb world. I've been active for only two weeks, but thought I'd look around for others. I've lost four pounds in two weeks on induction. I lost it the first week, but have been the same weight for the second. I'm a bit frustrated, but on the other hand, I was watching calories and exerscising vigourously for three months and didn't drop a pound so I am encouraged somewhat!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 22:23
Registered Member

BF:

miss margo,
welcome! would like to make contact with you but on this website you have to post 25 until you get to send or receive mail. You keep up the good work. I dropped 13lbs the first month and then it has been very slow. Have you checked out the new Curves in O.C.? Great bunch of women and very supportive. I do hope you stick around and can e-mail me I feel there is strength in friendship and numbers. Julie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 00:02

BF:

No, I do not know what "new Curves" is. Would love to though. I am hanging in there. It has been three weeks now and I have lost 7 pounds! That is amazing. I have tried many different things with no results like these. I almost visited the "Low Carb Food" store that has opened in Oregon City. Are you familiar with it? I ran out of time the day that I saw it. Will check it out soon. Now that a few more pounds have dropped off, I am much more encouraged. Especially since I am hearing that this is what others experience. I am not moving off induction for fear of halting the process! Talk to you again.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 21:25
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Miss Margo,
Curves is a new exercise place for all women who want to get healthy and/or take the weight off. Click on the exercise forum for more info. It is fast / easy on the joints and friendly. It is on Washington street 1block from Tonys' fish market. Ask for one week free trial and see what happens.
I love Atkins corn muffins. I make a mean low carb chili and Hagens was out of the mix. I found the "low carb store" well, actually it is in the thrift store next to the liquor store by Freddies. I don't know how I feel about them selling food in a "used clothing" shop but when I need muffins I need them now!
But, if you are on induction be careful. most of the low carb stuff slows my weight loss. Best to buy them later. But as far as salad dressing, thickining products, ok and I did buy a low carb cheesecake mix for Valentines day and it was pretty good.
Way to go on the loss Keep doing what you are doing and check back.
Raindrops aren't the only thing going down the drain in Oregon. Jules
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 23:22

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 190/184/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default hi, moonpie ...

and all fellow Oregonians! I live in Beaverton - and visited my first lo carb store in the area over the weekend... I know there are a few but the one I went to was in Scapoose - I believe there is also one in Portland off of Barbur.

Has anyone else visited one of those?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 01:08

BF:

Hi Moonpie, welcome I.W. Gurl. That is the low carb store I was talking about. I still haven't been in. I did not realize it was actually in the thrift store! I'm usually whizzing by and haven't looked that closely at it. I don't feel a rush to check it out anyway as I don't plan on leaving induction for quite some time. I have been quite hungry lately and have not lost anything this week. I succumbed and had a couple of nibbles from a date bar (oatmeal and dates, yum!) I need to be watch out! If I get too hungry, sometimes the protein just doesn't deal with it. It's tough some times, like tonight. I am preparing for a ministry I am involved in at my church. We sell espresso and fresh baked goods in between services to raise money for missions projects. All these yummy delicacies beckoned me! I haven't been so tempted during the last few weeks. But now that I had my nibbles, I'll leave them alone. Do you know if the low carb store sells the lipolysis test strips? After my bit of indulgence, I want to know if I am still in the zone Thanks for the info on the exercise site. I'll check it out. Take care! Keep up the good fight.

Miss Margo
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 14:11

Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hello from across the river from me in Vancouver!

We have one low-carb store here in Vancouver and that place is a business superstar -- it is always incredibly crowded. It's fun to go there because the staff is quite enthusiastic about LCing and people there are happy to show you their before and after pictures. I've started finding low carb stuff in the regular supermarkets lately (La Tortilla Factory tortillas at Fred Meyer) and of course, Trader Joe's is a great place to low carb shop. Our Low Carb Habit store has (I think) monthly meetings; I haven't been to one yet, but it might be motivating. I saw that Nature's was offering a discussion on low carb eating as well (didn't have as much luck finding low carb choices at Natures yet, maybe as the low carb wave catches on they'll start offering more). We even have a restaurant here that has an Atkins menu. It's a 1950s style hamburger/shake joint, but they've got a whole separate (though admittedly somewhat uninspired) menu for Atkins.

Anyway, hope you're enjoying today's rainy weather -- hang in there, though, our great summer weather is just around the corner. (Best kept secret in the PNW).

Pam
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 22:22
Registered Member

BF:

Hi mrimbamom, miss margo and I.W gurl. I was having problems with my email and have been unable to check in for a few days. I'm going to have to come across the river and check out the L.C store there. I have heard too many good things about it. I really want to check the monthly meeting out sometime. And you are lucky! A burger joint with L.C. menu? WoW. Do they have legal shakes? Miss margo, I admire your resistance to "big" temptation hope you can say no to the baked goods. Temptation at church. Have to LOL at that. I wonder if you are like me in that when I am ready to drop the fat I get real hungry. It is like my body is trying to get me to eat even more to keep the weight. I hate that trick. Mabie you are not eating enough protein and fat. That always seems to help me. Up those two and your water. I.W gurl, I like the low carb store in Lake Oswego (L. Grove) they are located off I-5 at the exit before Tualatin, There is a GI Joes across the street if you turn right at the light It is behind a resturant on the right 17937 McEwan Rd. They are in the phone book. Kind of a small store but they Have quite a lot of stuff. I just hit the 20 lb mark and I could not have done it without the support I have found on this site and ones similar. Keep in touch. don't you wish that every day it rained we dropped another pound! We all would be skinny and wet. Julie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 00:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 487/449/199
BF:100%...LOL
Progress: 13%

Hi

I am from Longview, WA at the moment ...am a born and breed portland girl...I will be moving back to Portland some day...that is where I belong...I am going to visit the low carb store in Port next week so i have been reading some of the stuff you have wrote...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 04:50

Stats: 315/299/240
BF:
Default greetings fellow Oregonian

Hey,

I live in Beaverton, OR and have been searching for some good LC food stores.

I have been to:

The Low Carb Store (it's on SE39th right before Hawthorne)

The Low Carb Store (it's on Scholls Ferry Rd right before the Raliegh Hills Fred Meyer if you were heading west on Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy.

Trader Joes (they aren't a LC store per se but they carry a OK selection of LC products scattered throughout the store)

My Mom has been to the LC store out in Oregon City and she says the selection is OK but the prices are kind of high.

As a side note I have found that even though both LC stores I listed at the top of this post are owned by the same people the prices at the SE Portland location are 5-7 cents lower on some items then at the SW store.

Best of Luck!

Rob
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 04:41

Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I wish I knew more about the restaurant business. I would love to be able to set up a small restaurant, or even a food booth at the Saturday Market that sells low-carb only food. I've met so many people here who are doing Atkins right now and I think this could be an excellent business opportunity. I can think of so many creative things to serve...

Hmmm... maybe I will start learning more about the restaurant biz after all...

~ Pam
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 00:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 487/449/199
BF:100%...LOL
Progress: 13%

I have thought of that too...a LC restaurant...great idea...I have been thinking of that for awhile I wonder if they have such a thing???
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 11:06

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 190/184/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Yes, a lo-carb restaurant - that is a great idea ... big money maker I bet.

Moonpie - yes, the lo-carb store does carry the lipolysis test strips, that's where I got mine this time. I kind of like the ones I got from the pharmacy better, though - they take 15 seconds where as my new ones take 40!

I have seen the lo-carb store out in Lake Oswego, I am going to stop in and check it out.

Does anyone know where the best prices on lo-carb shakes are? I am drinking EAS right now, but I would also like to try the Atkin's shakes. Currently I purchase them at a local Albertsons - they average out to 2 bucks a pop.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 17:06
Registered Member

Stats: 276.2/276.2/140 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello fellow Northwest people!!!

I live in Southwest Washington and I am in Portland all the time, spending money! I have been to a low carb store that is right off the 5 frwy in Lake Oswego/Tualitin area. It was really good and I enjoyed their low carb soft serve ice cream. I also bought some low carb brownies that were so good!

Mostly though, I just find low carb products incredibly expensive! LOL! I do shop in a health food store in Longview Washington that has a great selection of low carb stuff and their prices are pretty good. I am addicted to the Keto cocoa puffs for breakfast. Sometimes there is just nothing to substitute for a bowl of cereal.

It was fun finding this thread, I will check it often.

It is getting to be gardening season here in the Northwest and I can't wait to dig in!

Good thoughts to you all!

Lori