Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 14:13

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Congratulations, ouch, on sticking with it Are you using FitDay today? I just know that one day soon, you're going to have one of the biggest "whooshes" ever seen ! All of this perserverence will pay off - I just know it will! As Isa said, you are very strong and that is a great characteristic to have!

Like others, I've lost weight but not inches. I've lost inches but not weight. I've lost neither but my clothes suddenly fit different. (I've often thought about the sharpie and measuring.) Hard to believe I can get such different results from the same parts of my anatomy! Must be user malfunction .

Keep us posted, ouch! Our thoughts are with you and there'll be a huge forum "rah" sent up when you let us know something's changed!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/149/130
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hey guys...you guys are phenomenal!

I don't know how you stay so darn positive! I am at my wits end. I went to my mother's yesterday and weighed myself (I won't keep a scale at my place, I know I'd be on it 3 times a day!) so I go to her house every few days.

same crap, different day.

I haven't gotten into the fitday yet, I know I should. I had my purse stolen on Saturday, so I've been so busy ever since, replacing cards, buying new stuff, talking to insurance people, getting my locks changed... that I haven't even had time to turn around!

hopefully within the next few days, I can get that all straightened out...and pay more attention to the fitday.

I'm still sticking with all the induction guidleines though...no change yet

O
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: somersizing/atkins
Stats: 147/139/135
BF:20%
Progress: 67%

Hi ya Ouch! I would really like to recommend to you to read Marlaines journal.It starts off sounding just like you, she couldn't lose in the beginning, she started at over 200 pounds and is now wearing a size 7! I just read her journal (well most of it anyways) last night and I am so impressed with Marlaines dedication and willpower.I think if you read it ,it will really help you stay motivated and to realize that some people just start off like a turtle and end up like the hare!Best of luck to you
Wendy
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 17:13
Registered Member

Stats: 146/133/125
BF:
Progress: 62%

Isa-
I can't imagine a 12 pound weight loss from a 139 frame isn't noticeable. I think that if you aren't that overweight to start with and you start losing weight, people are reluctant to say anything (unless you've already told them that you are dieting)- telling you that you look thinner now implies that they think you looked "fatter" before, and no one wants to tell someone that they need to lose weight (people are especially afraid that they might find out that they were wrong about you losing weight- they would think that you think they think that you are "fat"). Anyway, I don't think that came out clearly, but do you know what I mean?
Also, have you bought any new clothes that fit better (or broken out any "skinny" clothes that have been in storage). If you are still wearing your old baggier clothes, it might be hard for people to see the difference. If you haven't, wear something a bit more fitted- I bet someone will notice your loss, and if not you can just feel good about how great you look in it! It really is worth it to buy some smaller sizes (even if you still plan to lose more)- it feels wonderful
Jess
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 17:37

BF:

ouch - I am so sorry to hear about your purse being stolen ! Just what you needed was a little more stress, huh? But it is absolutely wonderful that you have stuck with the plan - even with the added stress! I could see that being easily used as an excuse to fall off the wagon - WTG sticking to the plan!

Hang in there ouch - we're here for you
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

ouch! Sorry to hear about your purse being stolen. Dang! There are some bad folk out there. Not in here, though. Lots of good, supportive, positive, non-purse-stealing folk in here. So hang in here girl. We're with you!!! Whoosh coming any day now!!!

jessicapan: you're right about the clothes hiding my weight loss. I live in cold, rainy Seattle. We won't be showing skin until after the 4th of July. Until then it's sweaters, parkas, and long pants. Even though my pants are truly, madly baggy right now, who would know? I've got this parka on! But I do have to break down and get some new jeans because the only ones I like to wear now are boot cut, and my old smaller ones (they might fit but who cares?) are straight-legged or tapered. I promised myself I could get fashionable new jeans when I hit 125. One more pound to go. But I might just cut myself some slack and get them this weekend, before the ones I'm wearing officially turn into clown pants.

d'oh!

Ok girls, here's the official word. We're wearing pink this Spring and Summer. I'm 49 years old. I say who's going to stop me? Go PINK!

(pink cheer!)

Isa
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 07:35

BF:

Isa - you are such a hoot! I say go for the jeans now - and the pink
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 08:03
Registered Member

BF:

I can't thank you non-purse-stealing people enough. You're all fantastic.

Maybe once the weather gets a little nicer, I can get my butt back into the outdoors and start walking again. That always makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something. I'm doing weight lifting and ab workouts and stuff...but alas, no change

I've cut so much stuff out of my life, SO MUCH! all junk food, all breads, sugars, pastas...it's all gone, and yet, I cannot lose weight.

Somthing, somebody, somewhere is conspiring against me...

glad to know it's not you guys!!

O
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 11:25

BF:

Nope - we're on YOUR side ! You know, ouch, with the weights you may very well be building muscle and losing fat - keeping at an even enough progress where the scales are showing no change regardless of what is happening with your body. And if that's the case - it's great . Are you doing heavy lifting or mid-weight? When I'm trying to burn fat I go with lighter weights and faster/more reps than when I'm trying to build strength. JMHO - it works for me, anyway. But I am definitely not normal !! Getting outdoors may make a big difference - spring is such a wonderful time of year! Now honestly, ouch, do you miss the carbage foods you've given up and how they make you feel after eating them? Have you not replaced them with equally good-tasting foods that do not cause energy spikes and drops? Are you not eating enjoyable food? Pleasure is a very important thing in our lives - make sure you're getting some kind of pleasure from this WOL!!
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 07:18
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Shadow...thanks for my daily pep talk

I've only been using 5-10 lb weights for my arms and legs, just to do the lifting, and the steady work has been improving the feel of my arms.

But, for the last 6 days, I've cut out all the exercising (except walking) to see if it's made any difference. It hasn't. I'm still 150. I hate this!

It's one of those frustrating days.

Yeah, I feel ok about what I'm eating...I don't feel horrible after eating, and I do enjoy what I am eating. There are some things that I do miss, yes...and every once in a while, I'd kill ya for a bag of Doritos. But I keep hoping and striving, and praying that I'll lost all of this flabby excess weight that I carry around my middle.

I do feel ok, but my body is not changing. It's been over two months. I think I should call it quits, but now I'm afraid I'll put on additional weight?

I don't know what the heck to do with myself anymore

O
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 16:07

BF:

Hey ouch! Really do wish I had a magic wand - or at least some clear answers for you! I know what you mean, there are things I miss - or maybe I just miss the texture or aroma or something. Honestly, I try to not think a lot about things I no longer eat that I really enjoyed and just focus on what I'm eating now that I like.

Have you checked out the thread for slow losers? (Is it called "Tortoise"?) I'm pretty sure there's one here. Also, have you ever had your thyroid checked? There's surely got to be something happening that you're not seeing results! Just wish I knew more or was qualified to say it's gotta be this or that... but I can't do that.

I really do believe, however, that if you went back to the old way of eating that you would regain what you've lost - and possibly more! It's just like any other program that you treat as a diet - the minute you go off of it you regain what you've lost and more. Or at least that's how it's always worked for me. That was the biggest reason I decided to follow this plan and truly make it a WOL. I know if I go back I'll end up worse than before - and there's been times in my life when I was a heck of a lot heavier than anything that shows here!

But, OTOH, if you could limit it to one meal or one day max, maybe it would shake things up to eat as the Eades would say "from the honey tree" - indulge in one thing and then get back into Atkins immediately after. Don't know if it works, just a thought!

Hang in there - I just know one of these days there's going to be a big post from you shouting 'success'!
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 07:44
Registered Member

BF:

See? you're right! that's what I'm afraid of. Now I can stay on this eating plan, which is not helping me with my weight loss...or I can go off of it, and try something else, and regain back the meager amount that I've lost.

i'm lost. Completely lost. I have not lost a pound in two months, and I follow this every day, every meal.

i'm lost

O
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 10:56

BF:

Don't give up ouch - I just know something good will happen soon! Are you taking any supplements like l-carnitine or green tea extract? Maybe something simple like that would help. L-carnitine is pretty expensive (to a cheapie like me) but green tea extract isn't too bad...

I know Atkins has a special diet for the metabolically resistant (fat fast) in the book I have (DANDR) in chapter 18. Have you thought about trying that?

I'm doing my best to send good vibes to the whoosh fairy for you!!!!
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default DON'T QUIT

Ouch, you really should start a journal... maybe there's something you haven't noticed that someone else will.

Hang in there!
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 13:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Hi Ouch,

You and I could be buddies. I haven't lost either in 2 1/2 months but think about how you feel. I sleep better, have more energy and no cravings for sugar. I'm never hungry.

Don't give up, Atkin's is just not a fast loss for some of us but we have to keep at it. I'm sure one day you and I will post a 5# loss. It will happen all at once and be very rewarding for all the good we've done for ourselves.

Magic