Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/167.5/145
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi everybody,

I had a great 15k race, albeit, slow one. There are two bridges in this race, one at the beginning, which isn't too bad, but then a very steep one at the end. I did up my carbs thru vegetables for two days before the race, and I felt great thru out the whole thing. I was mortified the day after the race, though, when according to the scale, I had gained 8 pounds, but all but 3 of them are gone now. So, anyway, I finished in 2:02:06. I decided to bag my 10 miler next weekend. I have alot of small races coming up, so I've decided to concentrate on getting my weight down, and increasing my speed.

jzruns
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 08:36

Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%
Default Congratulations on the race!

You said that you added carbs, do you know how many you added? I am running a four mile race this weekend and I'm am thinking of adding a few for two days prior. Nothing major probably getting up to 40-50g from my +- 25 right now.

I would welcome any comments on this idea. I keep flip-flopping. Should I run through without adding any...or give myself a little extra? I can't make up my mind. I have decided to lay-off the weight training for my legs though until after the race. I know that I'm getting all worked up over nothing but I have not entered a race in a looooooong time and I want to do as well as I can....for a fat guy!!!
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 09:41
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Mainedaddy,

I did about what you were saying, I went up about 40 to 50 from 25, the day before the race, but two days before, I accidently went more than I intended, with about 90 carbs all together for that day. Since the race, I've dropped down to 20 to 25 to get the extra pounds off and it seems to be working.

I'm sure you'll do just great in your race. I'm looking forward to reading about it!!

jzruns
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 13:14

Default Thanks JZ

I think I will ramp up a bit. Whats the worst that could happen right? This is my WOL now so if I playarround with it a little it's not like it's the end of the world.

I will let you all know how it goes. I am getting a little psyched, and that is what this run is all about. I do not know any local runners and this will be a good way to get out and meet some people. I have seen some runners out there on my weekend runs and I have spyied some at the gym as well. I expect to make some connectioins this weekend. I may find someone to train with.
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Stats: 211/189/185
BF:26%/20%/19%
Progress: 85%

Best of luck on your race day, MaineDaddy.

Way to go, JZrun. I haven't entered any races, just running for fitness, and getting ready for the marathon in May. I probably should enter some to get in the swing of things, but just enjoying for now.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 17:28

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Shane good luck on your run.

As you start running more, you may find you need some extra carbs. I'm adding more in, as I have been a little tired on my runs, although that could be due to my schedule as well (teaching, grad school, family, as well as this running thing).
I've been pleased with my weight loss, so I don't mind if it starts slowing down, especially since I'm within 10 pounds now. I was just looking at my running log and I've lost 19 pounds since January 15th.

I'm adding more grapefruit and tomato juice and whole wheat crackers. I'm probably at 100 carbs per day. 2 cups of grapefruit juice is 50 right there so I think that is accurate. Try a little Splenda in the grapefruit. I've also been using that Nature's Own low carb bread. Again. the key is that I ahven't cheated, which is what causes problems. Everyone is different though.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 07:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hi everybody,

Sounds like everybody is doing great. The 8 pounds that appeared on the scale the day after the race have disappeared, plus half a pound more is gone. Yippee!! I haven't been able to run, yet. The first couple of days after, my quads were killing me, and then after that it was my calves. Probably stemmed from the bridges, and than recovery may have been slowed by the fact that my job requires constant movement and walking for 8 hours. I feel pretty good today, and have the day off, so hopefully these thunderstorms we're having will pass soon, and I can get out to run.

jzruns
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 07:59

Default I'm going to be coached.

After fourteen years I have looked up my old high-school coach. I just wanted to touch base with him and catch up a little. I tracked down an e-mail address for him and let him know what I was up to. Three days later I got a phone call from him and he was out of control with excitement. I had posed a couple questions in the e-mail and he fell right into coaching mode.

I may have opened a pandoras box here. He is a great coach, the best I have ever "run" into but sometimes his methods are diferent. He is intense, a former seargent in the army. We spoke for a while on the phone and when we hung up I was a little scared. He knows what kind of shape I'm in and demands that I take it easy..."You're not 16 anymore"..But he wants me to get back to my full potential. That is the part that scares me. It also excites me as well though. So I think I may be in this for more than just some easy running. We'll see what happens...

As for this weekend it is still on... I'll keep you all posted.

Later-
Shane
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 12:08
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi, I'm new here. I've enjoyed this thread. I'm a bottom-of-the-pack distance runner. My prs are 3:30 marathon and 95 miles in a 24 hour race. I've followed the Zone Diet for a long time but found it didn't control my cholesterol as well as I'd like.

Someone mentioned gaining 8 pounds then losing them. The 8 pounds was probably water because of carbo loading. To absorb glucose you need a lot of water. I typically would carbo load the day before a race and instantly gain about 10 pounds. At the end of the run most of the weight was gone.

This is why I don't use a scale. I rely on a skin fold caliper.

I saw an interview program where the guests were Atkins and a triathlete on the Atkins program. They convinced me to try the Atkins approach.

B: egg beaters omelet cooked in olive oil with cheese and chicken.

L: Kidney beans with chicken, cashews and spicy picante sauce.

D: Salmon and steamed vegetables. Crunchy peanut butter for desert.

I wonder if Zone Bars would work for distance runs. The protein/carb balance is designed to prevent an insulin spike. Any runners using them? While I'm on the subject, does anyone follow the Zone diet?

I feel that I'm a carboholic. Small amounts of carb can put me over the edge, like an alcoholic who takes one drink end ends up on a bender. If I can avoid anything sweet, I seem to be able to control my intake better.

Sorry to be so long.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 17:56

NIce to meet you Kaypeeoh.

I'm still up in the air about carbs for this weekend. I probably sound like a ninny. I have been feeling great on my short runs this week so I don't feel like I need too many extra carbs. I'll probably eat some green-beans at dinner tomorow night. Then I'll have some peanut-butter with my regular ham and egg breakfast. Still under 40g's for each day. It's four miles not a marathon. I hope to run 7:00 miles or better.

Keep you posted.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 12:20
Registered Member

BF:

MaineDaddy: How went the race?
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 08:07

Default Race Report

It's good to be back in the race!

I ran my four miler Sunday in great weather...+- 40 degrees. The course was basicly flat with a mild grade for the last 3/4 miles. I prepped for the race with some extra vegi carbs but not much. I was very nervous lining up and did not know what to expect after ten years off. I wanted to be under seven min pace but really did'nt know how far under.

I got caught up in the excitement when the gun went off and knew I was going faster than I should. At the first mile I was at 6:09...woops. Well I couldn't just drop off the pace at that point and I held on for 12:26 at the half way point. The third mile was a rough one but it felt faster than it was, somewhere arround 19:40 I think. My finish time was 26:40. My average pace was 6:40 well under the 7:00 I wanted to break. The pace though could have been a LITTLE more even!!! I think I could have held 6:20 if I had stuck to it. Great to be back though and I had a fun time.

As for the carb effect I am not sure. I did feel like I was strugleing during the last mile but there are many legitamate reasons for that. I will look for a 5k in a bout a month. this will give me time to drop a few more pounds as well as build some more miles. My goal by then will be 6:15 pace through the finish line.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:19
Registered Member

BF:

MaineDaddy:

AND you're 60% body fat? I didn't think someone like that could run nearly 6 minute miles. Good race report. Congratulations. What happens if you get down to 10% body fat?
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:27

Default LOL not 60% body fat!

Kay I am 60% to my goal weight!!!

That would be something if I was 60% BF. I do not know what my Body Fat is but I am having a physical done in a couple weeks and I would like to find out.

I am 40lbs over my college race weight though so I am hauling quite a load over the race course!!! I expect that the weight cost me some serious time. I used to be real fast so I am hoping to get back to where I was. Now that I have a LC WOL I think I can do it.
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:35

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Keep it up Shane, that's a good race report. That is definitely fast.

I have to admit I laughed at the 60% BF comment. I wonder what someone like that would look like. Certainly not many of them at the race.

I had an interesting weekend. Ate a bunch of carbs Friday to get ready for a Saturday 20 miler. I'm not sure what it was; but my legs felt terrible. I quit after nine miles. I couldn't even maintain an 8:30 pace. I think I had a bit of a cold or something.
I felt better Sunday and did about another 7 miler, with a 23 minute 5K pickup in the middle.
Anyway, now I'm kind of taking it easy until the 29th. Anymore weight loss will probably wait until after the race.

I'm going to a wedding in Canada in June. the last time I was up there was 2 years ago and I was over 45 pounds heavier. That's a little motivating.