Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:59

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Guys!
Just wanted to check in. Had an AWESOME run this morning because the roads were finaly plowed and the temperature was in the low 20's..FINALLY!! Managed to get 14 miles in before work!
HI There - I low carb, I don't know if it is a good or bad thing but I know it works for me. I eat chicken - full fat, steak, eggs etc. I like atleast one huge salad a day with FAT dressing such as olive oil or blue cheese. I drink water but not crazy amounts. And - as you know I eat the almond butter. - again not crazy amounts. I know I run better if I eat more protein. Maybe this changes to carbs - I'm not sure. I feel awful on runs when I have low protein days. I think the fat keeps me going on the long runs. After my run I used to do a protein shake but the sweet flavor sets off the cravings so I go right for the omlet and if I still need more food I eat! Today after the run I had 3 eggs with a small amount of cheese and that did the trick!
Look into the replacement drink Ultima. Their website is ultimareplenisher.com. They make a non sugared gatorade type drink that is supposed to keep blood sugar from spiking.
Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:00

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Do you drink Ultima? For anyone trying to do really low carb, that has a fair amount (9 per serving).
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:56

BF:

Hi KG!
No I din't drink it. Luckily I have not needed it yet!
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%
Default Five pounds closer to d-day (distance)

I made to the scale today and I am happy to say that I am getting closer to my running goal weight. The plan is to start running daily after breaking 200lbs. Today I reached 210 for a total loss of 25lbs in about two months. I am running a couple times a week under three miles for the most part. Saturday I did go six miles and felt good. I am forcing myself to keep it slow and steady and not make any quick changes.

Once I hit 199 I will start a daily three mile run in the mornings and do this until it seems too easy. Then I'll add mileage a mile at a time...four miles a day...five...etc I think by doing it this way the weight will continue to drop as the mileage rises. I hope to avoid injury this way.

I'm looking at the local race schedule and I think I'll race every other week or so as I build my mileage. Obviously I'll have to see how it goes but I want to get close to my college race times. I amy spend the year trying to get there without focusing on a marathon. I would like to post a respectable 10k time if I can. Sadly I can't even remember my PR. I'll have to do some digging to find out what it was. I have not raced a 5k sence high school 15 years ago. I know it will be a long road but I have never taken care of myself like this. Time will tell.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:59

BF:

Keep it going Shane,
You can't remember a PR? Really? I know all of mine (within a few seconds). I would like to get back to my 41 minute 10K. I'd also like to break 20 in the 5K this year. Now the 3:15 marathon will be a challenge,
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 18:15

BF:

Way to go Maine Daddy!
How about the Joan Samuelson race in the summer? I heard that is great!
KG I was able to enter the DisneyMarathon. It is Jan. 11 2004! I hope I can do it?!!!
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 05:37

BF:

You definitely can do it.

I think I will drop my carbs a little more. I've been active this week and felt very strong on a hard 9 miler on tuesday night, as well as during my weight session. I think initially it was too big a shock and now my body is adjusting. I'd really like to run my marathon on March 29 a few pounds lighter.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Stats: 211/189/185
BF:26%/20%/19%
Progress: 85%

I ran 2 hours this morning, 1:22 to work, and then carried on to complete an out and back, finishing back at work at exactly 2:00. I walked to cool down, and then had a long hot shower. Last time I ran 2 hours was when I completed the 1/2 marathon in Victoria, just sub 2 hours. Finished today feeling much stronger than I did in October. Perhaps something to do with being 23 lbs lighter? Lot less to jiggle and shake. Heh, heh.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 15:09

BF:

I know I have the same feeling. It was difficult using a treadmill at a health club 50 pounts ago; but now I like to get in there and crank up the speed.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 16:01

What a diference it makes Phil!!

My high school coach was a physics teacher and a former seargent in the Army. He would always give some formula which amounted to <weight w/same output = greater speed. He'd also say that you can't replace the engine but you can lower the weight of the chassy(sp) He was a tough but great coach. He turned the most unlikley kids into great athletes.

I can't wait to drop another 25lbs off my frame! When I do I'll see how far I can run with a fifty lb weight!!!
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 19:55
Registered Member

Stats: 184/167.5/145
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi everybody,

I've been reading this thread with great interest. I 've been low carbing for 3 weeks, now. I did pretty good during induction, lost 11 pounds, so I decided that this is for me, but I've also been concerned about it affecting my running. When I've run small runs like 2 or 3 miles, I've had no problems, but anything more than that, I start to bonk at the end. I've been worried about my upcoming 15k that I have this Sat., and then I have a 10 mile race the following Sunday. I've been getting some ideas from the posts that I've read, but now I'm panicked that maybe I took in way to many carbs today. I came up with a count of about 90, 28 came from the gel I used on my 6 mile run (I couldn't help it, I was dragging real bad), and 21 (maybe more) came from the half baked potato, and vegetables I had for dinner. I decided not to get too freaked out though. If I have to go back to square one after these 2 big races than I will. After this, I have nothing but small races planned. I just really need to learn how to combine LCing with running, so I can get back to my racing weight, too. Sorry for being so long winded.

Jzruns
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 20:11

BF:

Good luck on your race.

For me I think they are the worst for causing me problems.

Its great that you lost that much weight to start.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 90 carbs. It really isn't a lot. Runners are often told to eat 4grams per pound per day.
I tried to stay at a very low carb level; but couldn't do it. I'm losing weight without having to.

I would make sure that I am getting carbs from foods that are low on the glycemic index (Atkins or Sugarbusters). As I mentioned in several other posts, I eat whole wheat crackers and drink small amounts of grapefruit juice and tomato juice as added carbs, as well as lower carb bread (one slice a day). If I had to add it up, I probably eat 80 carbs a day, maybe more. If you use the glycemic index as a guide, you can also stop worrying about counting carbs. Stick to the LG foods, keep portions reasonable and just watch out for hidden ones.
I never eat potatoes, rice or pasta and only take gels on extremely long runs. If you had some low glycemic carbs in, you might find you have a little more energy. Add a few carbs before the race, too. You don't want to crash during the race.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:00
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks KG, for your reply, I feel much better. My main concern is crashing during the race, but I've been uping my vegetable intake between yesterday and today, so I'll see what happens. I think it's the 1 1/2mile bridge with the 6% incline at the end of the race that has me also worried about my energy level. This is the first time I've raced as a low carber. I've always been a runner, it's just that I gained so much weight from my last pregnancy, and it hasn't been coming off like it did with previous pregnancies, so I turned to low carbing for help. I'm not as fast as I used to be and it's frustrating.LOL Not to mention all the clothes I have that I can't fit in to.

Jzruns
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:06

Default Good luck JZ and keep us posted

I cna understand being frustrated about being slower. Take your time though and you will get there. The last time I raced was over ten years ago and 65lbs less than my start weight. I'm down 25lbs now but still have a way to go. I will be slow for a while but I will not push too hard. Take the time and you will get there without any injury.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:18
Registered Member

BF:

This may be a stupid question, but I'm still new to these forums. How do you use the journal portion. I can't figure out how to start one.

Thanks,
Jzruns