Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 18:42

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 0%

I either buy it in the grocery store - it is next to natural peanut butter, ...as you already know...check ingredients! There should only be almonds and maybe salt. - or I make it. All you need is to take a handful of almonds and toss them in to your coffee grinder. Turn it on until the almonds grind in to a pase. If you stop early you will get almond flour which is wonderful for baking!
Did you run today?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 18:59

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I'm going to look for that it sounds good.

Today I did run 2.2 miles before work. I'm adding some early runs to my mileage to increase fat burning. I'm usually up anyway, so I might as well do a few miles....
I'm starting to take the time for the weights. It used to be kind of an afterthought but I'm making it a priority now as well. I just finished as well. good thing to do while the kids are practicing clarinets and saxophones.

So you do 10 miles every day? that's alot of mileage.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%

JK-
Thanks for the support. I like the almond butter idea. I have made my own almond flour and used it in a few things. I'll have to take it a step further.

Glad to see this forum growing!

JK I think I could run all day if I was 95lbs LOL My college race weight was 170. I'm looking to get there or better.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:44

BF:

I haven't weighed 95 pounds since I as 8 years old.

No luck in my local grocery store for the almond butter. I'm going to keep looking though.

Any thoughts on supplements, vitamins, etc. I take a Centrum Complete; don't really know what else to take.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 06:54

BF:

Hi Kg -Hi Maine Daddy!! Great to hear from you! I knew better than to look for your replys while at work(!) Just can't help myself! Yes - I love being 95lbs and having a breakfast like I did today that i Never would have done when I was 135 and eating low fat!! Todays breakfast was 3 eggs with hoop cheese - it is a type of nonfat cheese (don't get scared!) that is made for people with food allergies. The company removes all of the milk sugar (lactose) so there are no carbs or fat. You can find more info on this product in the book called Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Web site has the same name. Anyway, I added 2 slices of bacon and ofcourse my favorite - a wallop - not dollop! of mayo. YUM!!!
Today was one of those days where everything came together. You will have many of these. Since increasing my protein and being consistent with weight training my runs have been AWESOME! I had to make myself stop at 10 miles today! I averaged 8:25 per mile and followed this with a good bicep/tricep workout. Tonights work out is low intensity - yuck(!) walking on the treadmill while reading a great book about Carly Fiorina who took over Hewlett Packard - I think - only on page 30! Followed by abdominals and push ups.
Maine Daddy - Portland and Freeport are my FAVORITE!! Beware tomorrow is going to be cold. Run anyway - it is only air!
KG Way to Go 2.2 AWESOME! You will be amazed at how good those endorphins feel - you remeber! Let's work toward the labor day rock and roll 1/2 marathon in VA beach?!
Supplements -NOOOO! Too many fillers and junk. We don't need them. We eat excellent, - our bodies will crave what we need. If you get cramps your body wants more greens - simple! If you are hungry you need water and food. If you are injured slow down. As an ex vitamin taker I spent gajillions of $$$ on this stuff only to find my liver enzymes elevated and my blood cell counts always off. When my doctor said stop the supplements for a month and lets re test I was fine for the first time in ages! The best source of L carnatine,etc is red meat so enjoy!
Keep up the great work guys!!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:22

BF:

JK,
Your energy level comes through in your posts....

The easy morning run was greta yesterday. I'm not setting my alarm, so I'l do it when I wake up naturally. My wife really hates my alarm going off that early. I don't blame her. Today I woke at 5:45 so no time to run; but my main workout is some hill training tonight (I'm cutting my night class to go workout).

As for the Rock and Roll 1/2 that's a neat idea; but you have to get your entry in early. It filled by April last year.

What about just a multi vitamin?

I bought a big hunk of blue cheese last night for my salads. A friend of mine is a chef and he crumbles it on steak while its grilling. Its delicious if you haven't tried it. Hoop cheese is next I guess.

Keep up the good work. 8:25 miles, that's great!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 19:11

BF:

Yeah! I hope you have a great run! I just finished my boring walk on the treadmill and a good shoulder work out! Bleu cheese on steak is the best! Put in under the broiler oh yummmmm! We use Franks Red Hot on the steak as well. We put it on the grill, pour the sause over it and it cooks in. It is soo good! If you get the cance pick up the daily newspaper Investor Business Daily. Read the 3rd page each day called Leaders and Success. They have great motivational quotes as well as good goal setting strategies. I read a great one today about the 1% rule. Accomplish 1% more than usual each day. Good advice!
Have a great night and I will think of a ton of things to pass on tomorrow - or until you get sick of me - which ever comes first!!!!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 11:01

Default Found my Zen today...on the treadmill

For those who may not know I am "SLOWLY" getting back into running shape after ten long years off. I am running short distances until I lose more weight. With that said I had a bit of a breakthrough today.

I found my Zen while running on the treadmill. It has been a very long time since I have been in this zone. It probably lasted a mile, but for that time it was just striding, breathing,and being. I was not on a treadmill or even at the gym...I was running. It was a good pace 7:20 and I had a great open stride. It was a really great feeling to have. I am taking it slowly for a few reasons and I can't say it is'nt tempting to push things after feeling that good. I will continue to take it slow though. But for now I know what a good run reels like...again.

Note: I know that it was only two miles but I felt no LC fatague. I have increased the salads I have been eating. I will watch how I feel when I increase the mileage. I think when i do it will be in 1/2 mile intervals. Slowly...and I will look for signs of fatague, and watch my carb levels. If I can run this machine on fat for miles on end then all the better.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 14:02

BF:

Glad to hear you had a good run. You will avert injury by following your current plan.

I did a hard 7 miler (hills) last night on the treadmill. I am also having no problem with the added veggies for carbs. Last week I ate a lot of meat/cheese and almost no veg and felt worse. I also am drinking some tomato juice, as its the only way I'll have vegetables at 6am. With egg salad and some soy protein its pretty filling.

If the freezing rain holds off, I'm going to run the stairs at the track.

Only a few pounds off; but with the added intensity to my workouts and weights the past few weeks, my clothes are getting loose.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:10

I have found that the more salad I eat the better I feel. The tomato juice sounds good...does it have suger though?

I will stay the course with my training, no matter how tempting it is to alter my plan. I will be happy to get outside though...I do hate the tread-mill. I'm thinking I will start doing my short runs in the morning with my Golden Retrever. We are both up early so it should'nt be too hard. I will wait a couple more weeks though for the weather to warm up a bit. It was below zero this A.M. again. The good thing is that it is getting light earlier finaly.

I picked up a New-England road-race calander at the gym today. It is fun to scope out some of the races. There is a four miler on St. Patricks day here in town. I may do it just as a benchmark to see where I am. It would be the first race I ran as an official "back of the packer". There was a time when I would not even consider racing if I was'nt in top shape but I think the experience might be a good one.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:13

BF:

Miane Daddy, KG
I'm beaming I'm so proud!!!! Your progress is GREAT!!! Keep up the good work and keep me informed. WAY TO GO!!!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:32

BF:

The tomato juice is basically tomatoes, salt and vitamin c.

Its always good to put a race on the calendar, especially for motivation. that's why I'm trying to stay several months ahead, so that there is always something on the horizon.

No workout tonight, I'm taking a deserved day off.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 18:12

BF:

I have my alarm set for midnight Friday. I am going to register for the Disney Mararthon!!!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 19:21

BF:

Congratulations

Is that your first marathon?

I'm hoping to run 5 this year
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 10:48

Stats: 114/114/100
BF:
Default for JKMOM

I'm a marathon runner (for the past 4 years), and I'm in the induction mode of Atkins. I know that you're not supposed to have nuts during induction (although I sneak an almond or two sometimes!), but I liked your idea of almond butter before your training run. Because I am running 80+ miles/week, I need some ideas for "induction-friendly" pre-training snacks. Would a tbsp of almond butter be alright on induction, or do you have any other ideas? Thanks!