Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 18:13
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi everyone! I live in Toronto. What is the cost to join Curves in Canada?

red
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 09:13
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Red1Cutie

At my Curves location there was a sign-up fee -110.00 (there was a discount of some sort applied to arrive at that) and then there is a monthly fee -39.00 if you join for a year and 49.00 if you pay by the month. If you join for a year and decide you don't like it then you can cancell your membership but you pay the 10.00 difference for each month you have been a member. My location does not accept credit cards but they take an automated cheque type of thing (totally mixed me up that did - I don't write many cheques )

From what I've seen different Curves might have slightly different prices - as they are a Franchise type set up and each owner can do things a little bit different.

Hope this is helpful

#33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:41

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have found Curves to be very challenging. At first it seemed not to take much effort, didn't sweat much, but as the time went on (4 months) I try to up my reps on each machine - now I'm closing in on 20 reps on the machines (except the squat is around 14).

My point is it is as challengin as you make it!

I had my measure and weigh day this morning - only lost 1 lb this month but 10.25 inches!! It does work - I'm hung up on the numbers but I was loving the 10.25 so much the 1 didn't bother as much.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:27
Registered Member

Stats: 188/162/145 Female 69
BF:39%/30/26%
Progress: 60%
Default costs

I joined my local curves for a $50 setup fee and $29.00 per month, putting 2 months on my credit card. After the two months, I'll decide if I'll continue since I'll hopefully be able to exercise in my pool.

My curves is open 7 to 7 every Monday through Friday and no hours on weekends which makes it tough to work out more than a few times a week. I work 8 to 5 and I have a 40 hour drive to and from work so it cuts into my day to go during the week. However, due to having to leave work early to go to a chiropractor and aqua therapy for my back several times a week, I just piggy back a visit on then. The machines are so giving that I can do it as easy or hard as I want. I can't do the lifting one, just looking at it hurts my back, so I do leg lifts instead.

I can only do 3-5 repititions on some of them, but others I'm up to 10. The 30 secs go really fast so sometimes just getting into the machine takes up a few

I've been to Kelly Lyn and Bally in previous years and I have to say Curves is the best so far. I feel really comfortable there and there is never really a wait and it goes quick and easy! I love it

Dina
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 22:18
"Natural Mystic"

Thanks Koko! I will check Curves out. I hope your results/measurements are what you hoped for.

red

Last edited by red1cutie : Fri, Mar-07-03 at 22:22.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 22:20
"Natural Mystic"

mkathy, Congrats on your inches lost and your weight loss!!!

Thanks dina and mkathy for the info. I will check out Curves.

red

Last edited by red1cutie : Fri, Mar-07-03 at 22:24.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 15:44

Plan: my own
Stats: 249/242/160
BF:
Progress: 8%

I agree with MKathy6, its as much of a challenge as you make it be. At the curves I go to they tell you to work the machine as hard as you can, and use the recovery station as just that- a place to recover. Dont spend your energy moving on the reccovery station- spend every ounce of it really working the machine!!! You should be about out of breath and wanting the 30 seconds to be over when its time to change.

Linda
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 21:15

Plan: carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 168/161/148
BF:
Progress: 35%

I joined Curves in Feb/03. I really, really hate exercise. I hate the aches and pains that go with it. I will say that Curves is the program for me. I love the machines. I think it is because you spend a short time on each one, my body doesn't get a chance to ache....
I love moving to the music on the recovery pads. For the first time ever I enjoy going to the gym. It is true. There is every age and shape and size. After your first time getting to know your way around everyone feels so comfortable.
I can already feel the difference in my tummy and butt.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb avoid sugar
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default I Love My Pacifica curves

even though I live in SF, curves in Pacifica is great!
It's nice to see women of ALL sizes.
You just go in and then your done, so fast. Once it's a routine and on your schedule it's a no brainer.
I've met so many nice people there too, I was starting to feel that I was the only big girl in the world here in cosmopolitan San Francisco!! Not at curves. It's normal land.

Just knowing that I'm stalling or cancelling a future heart attack or any other of those things is a great feeling....
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:59

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

I'm joining next week and am so syked! I've read your posts and it seems you all enjoy it! I have 20 lbs to goal and feel that this will help me firm up my gut which needs major work (lol). I have back problems myself and am having surgery in May to cut out the herniated disk portion - After speaking to the counselor on the phone she said that with doc's note they will suspend my membership until I can get back into the workout -- maybe with the exercise I may not need the surgery (that is my hope). In my area its $57 registration/$39.00 month if you do month-to-month or $29.00 if you sign a 1 year contract. I forgot to ask about weekend hours and hope they have Saturday Hours (hmmm). Anyway, I will find out more next week.

Last edited by yvonne326 : Wed, Mar-12-03 at 15:09.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 04:11

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default free signup offer

FYI:

Received a fax a few days ago and Curves (in British Columbia, anyway) is offering $0 sign up fee if you bring a bag of nonperishable food items between March 17 and 21st. They recomend you call ahead to book an appointment because it's so popular. If you don't live in BC, maybe call the nearest one and ask if they're offering this too???

They're website on the fax is www.curvesinternational.com

Hope this helps!

Nicole

ps--I'm seriously thinking of switching from my regular gym to Curves but haven't fully decided yet.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 15:14

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

thank you for the continued information!!!!

Take Care,

M
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 19:34

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

My Curves had the same food donation special this week in MA. One of the things I like about curves is that it is a no brainer, my mind relaxes while my body works out, just listen to the voice......
The instructor at Curves told my that although they are open Saturdays (8-12) They will never be open on sundays because the founder is a born again Christian who does not support working on this day.

Another thing I like about curves is that the aerobic/rest stations make it easy to personalize your workout, you can just twist to the music, run or march in place, I have even see women doing kick boxing moves between machines. It's as challenging as you want it to be.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 01:19

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I did decide to join and have done 2 workouts so far. Seems pretty good. Laughing at myself: after I did the first workout, I thought "that wasn't very challenging" and ended up with really sore abs when I woke up the next day. I like that it didn't feel too challenging but it was.

I am concerned that it won't take long to lose the challenge and not make enough progress. I guess it's that fact that you can't change the degree of difficulty. Any thoughts/ideas on this?

Nicole
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 07:53

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

the faster you go the greater the resistance. . .so you can increase the difficulty. You can go around 3 times rather than 2. If it's not to crowed you can do 2 reps per machine as you go around. redawn