Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 00:49

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I agree about the candida thing. Stick with the Atkins Induction for a while and see if the thing levels out. Also go check out the forum about candida/IBS and see if that might be it. Also check out what foods you should avoid for your blood type. If you know what your blood type is let me know and I'll give you the basic 'avoids'. One sign you may be dealing with candida is cravings. As the yeast dies off you may feel very ill from the toxins being released and the yeast makes you crave the very things you should avoid eating (sweets/starches) in order for it to keep alive. It's fighting for it's life, remember. I used to have candida too, but I've successfully fought it. The trick is to eat NO sweets/starches at ALL for about two months. Anything that turns into sugar just keeps feeding the 'yeast beast'.

As to the DSF, go to Nutriwest.com, enter the product line and look for DSF. I don't happen to have the bottle with me right now....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 06:30

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%

Well I am not sure exactly what is helping but I am feeling better
I was checked for Candida At Christian Northrup's clinic that is right here in Yarmouth Maine. I was found to be clear of that and they basically told me to go see a shrink. Well obviously the pain is not in my head. ........All I have to say to that is just because it isn't yeast doesn't mean it isn't real. I am saying to them ......not to all you nice people who are just trying to get me to consider another possibility. Just letting you know I took that route about 17 years ago......... I of course was not impressed with their recommendation considering that although I might have seemed a bit frazzled and frustrated from the pain and fatigue ,a shrink was certainly not going to heal this physical pain.

Don't know if I mentioned but since I have hypoglycemia and fibromyalgia that of course is the source of all this aggrevation.

I am happy to report that I walked 25 minutes on my treadmill yesterday .Finished a work project I was working on . Had a very productive and pain free day and am back on track now. Hopefully this will be a nice long spell of feeling great. I did get the rest of my new supplements and have been taking them again and drinking my water . SO onward and upward.

Thanks for all your suggestions
Debbie.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 09:05

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Smile Glad you are feeling better!

Sorry to hear about the doctor wanting to send you to a "shrink". How rude. It isn't fair that you are feeling unwell, and to have a medical professional think it is all in your head. I firmly believe that in order to get healthy, you have to take the bull by the horns and do it yourself. Read all you can, try different supplements. I have been misdiagnosed so many times, and if I would have listened to the bad advice I have gotten from doctors over the years, I am sure I would be dead by now.

Just curious as to what test they ran for the candida? Yes, it is possible that you DON'T have candida, and that would be a great thing.

Good for you that you are exercising again, that will help the fibro alot, too. I hope the upward swing in your health continues, keep us posted!!

-Jess
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 23:48

BF:

...they said the same thing to my Aunt for years, that her complaints had no physical basis and that it was just 'female' troubles. Well, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (by a different doctor) a few years later. The thing is the doctor who diagnosed it said she'd had symptoms for years and the other doc should've caught it. She probably didn't have the cancer then, but her body was trying to say something was wrong and they might have been able to get her on a course of care that might've staved off the cancer. Too late now....
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 06:09

Thanks Jessea and KJ,

I had a bit of a tired day yesterday and only did 12 minutes on the treadmill. Really trying to pay attention to my energy levels and not push too far but do something to keep moving. I have been trying different supplements at night to get better sleep .I have an herbal sleep remedy and I took it last night and slept very well so that always help. I took 5-htp and magnesium the night before and did so so . I am going to keep taking the herbal combo and try to get better sleep at night .

I also notice when I do exercise I have afternoon muscle pain and fatigue which I am sure is waste build up . I am trying to drink more water to help keep things flowing.

I run into the same problem with my mom of this being all in my head and poo pooing it everytime I say something about Fibromyalgia. She thinks I am imagining it am just a big overeater. Truth is a barely ate enough before and I am eating more then ever now that I have gotten the hypoglycemia under control She is thin but has very high cholesterol and eats low fat / low calories. MY question is if she is soooooooooo healthy then why is her cholesterol almost 300??? I told her to check out low carb. I love my mom but GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Debbie.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 08:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 298/265/145
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Debbie - I've read some of your recent posts & wanted to send good wishes your way.

It's great that you're finding sleep remedies that help you. You're really making the effort and it WILL PAY OFF!

It's interesting to me how our bodies want different solutions, sometimes even at different times. I've tried 5HTP & got nothing, though most people love it. I agree with you on the magesium & potassium - they help. I notice what high levels of pot you feel you need right now. Just keep rechecking - it might shift. (I'm that way on mag - I've gone WAY high on it from time to time.)

Maybe I overlooked it, but I wanted to share one cramp remedy that is my top choice - it's apple cider vinegar. (People who believe in it rave about in all sorts of ways.) Someone told me it's high in potassium and gets into your system fast. Check with your body to see if this might be of help .

Now even when not Low carbing, I get lots of cramps - they throw me out of the bed & I know how painful they can be - then & later. I've had more occasions than I could count when I couldn't stand and have done the begging God for help thing - not a pretty picture. Most people don't understand how much of a crisis bad cramps can be.

So my personal stop cramp attack includes: slugging down apple cider vinegar, 3 good swallows (I take it straight, chased by water - many folks just drink a few drops mixed in water, which is what my Dr. suggested as a prebedtime tonic). I also use l-taurine (my body craves aminos) kava, and my pot/mag supp. Then I immediately head for the shower. Once I manage to get in (a challenging feat in itself sometimes) I direct the hottest water I can stand at the area that's cramping. Of course, I also rub & massage the best I can - I've tried the slap your legs method, but it bruises! And I walk - and walk - and walk - I've worn a groove going in circles in my little apartment! Have your husband help with the massage stimulation. There's an accupressure spot on the back side of your thigh (about mid way or a hand's width above your knee) that REALLY works.

I've also heard that horsetail herb can help. Did you know that hypoglycemia, FM, food allergies, low thyroid (& more imbalances, I'm sure) can EACH cause cramps? When I made that correlation, it was like - well, great - no wonder I have the darn things. I'd add exertion and stress to that list of aggravating factors.

One thing that recently changed for me - I'm doing allergy clearing treatments and when I described my "thigh screamers", the doc determined that reactions to sulfites were the primary cause. I went from 8-13 or more per month to only 2 of them in the last 8 months, for that one area of cramping! Whew - I'll take it - they were the worst.

Hope some of this helps, and even more, hope you have a day with smoothness and high energy. ~
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 10:16

Wow Thank you for all the great info.
It is kinda weird but I took a break for a couple of days from thinking about any of the LC stuff and then went back on.The cramps have stopped now so I am soooooooooooo relieved.
I have had this problem for 5 years now and of course it is that whole combo

of Hypoglycemia,fibro,thyroid being low,stress , fatigue.....

I have added back a few more carbs/started drinking more water and been very consistent about taking my supplements which I wasn't being very good about when I first started LCing. I also ordered Potassium,Magnesium and Zinc orotate which supposedly are more bioavailable . So far so good ...........It is funny how each of responds to different things and I did feel that I slept better with the herbal supplement

Here are the ingredients.
calcium 56mg
niacin 50 mg
B6 20mg
magnesium 114 mg
kava kava root ext 200mg
valerian root ext.... 150 mg
Lemon Balm herb 150mg
Passion Flower 150mg
melatonin 5mg

THis does the trick for me and I think the biggest difference for me now is that I am FORCING myself to keep track of everything I need to do to get better.

SLEEP/WATER/EXERCISE/EATING ENOUGH/SUPPLEMENTS.

I have tried very hard to discipline myself and remember it is a combination of lots of good little habits and not one magic bullet.
Not having the Leg cramps now is a first for me in so long I can't remember. I mean 5 years of those jump you out of bed and send you around the room screaming kinda cramps. I get them so bad I couldn't even straighten my leg out even with my full weight on them. Mostly calves and instep but neck sometimes and shoulders and arms as well. Feels like someone has string inside that they can pull to just yank all your limbs tight. I am sooooooooooo glad to be getting over that. I knew that I had to find something to calm them down so I could start to sleep again. otherwise I never get good sleep...

Well gotta run and eat lunch so I don't get feeling sick
Debbie
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 05:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/156/141
BF:
Progress: 38%
Unhappy Schwarzbein ?

Hi. I see earlier Schwarzbein mentioned as an easier alternative to Atkins. I too have FM, which had been under control, but I developed severe back pain since being for just over a week on Atkins. I don't know what the allowed foods on Schwarzbein are. Please can somebody help me. Thanks!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 07:46

Schwarzbein, is more restrictive on food additives and such but allows fruit. I actually stayed with Atkins and have adjusted and am doing very well now .I had a terrible first month of leg cramping when I first started but am finally coming out of the aches and pains. I think that most would agree that it is a "normal " adjustment period when your body is just getting used to a different way of eating.

As for the back pains Does it seem like it is muscle pain or maybe your kidney? Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as this woe is diuretic in nature and you wanna keep that water flowing .I was dehydrated just from years of not drinking enough. It is on the top of my TO DO list every day now cause I know how much bettter I feel . It removes a lot of the toxins that are being released when you burn up old fat.

Hang in there because the alternative is to go back to eating stuff that is even harder on our bodies. I felt like giving up at times cause I wasn't feeling better but I reminded myself I certainly wasn't gonna feel better eating anything with sugar or white flour in it so I just had to keep going.

If you just can't give up fruit then maybe Schwarzbein is a better fit for you and it also recommends eating 5 times a day which I just can't seem to fit in. I just stuck with Atkin's cause I am stabilizing now.

Hope you feel better soon and maybe you wanna start a journal so we can come visit you there.

Debbie
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 08:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/156/141
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default thanks debbie

Thanks for your support - i will try and hang in there and drink more water. I had also been drinking some wine which obviously was not good, but it just happened that week that we had a lot of social arrangements - not good for starting a diet.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 02:52

BF:

Earthlight, may I strongly suggest you try massage therapy? What you have just described sounds to me as though you have myo/fascial/dermal adhesions. I know, I am (was) riddled with them. I'm going to open a new thread for adhesions as I personally feel they are very important to healing fibro...please see my new thread...