Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 06:53

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%
Default Feeling Worse then Ever!!

OH my what a weekend!

Had to take a nap both days, SO tired that I was dragging myself through the day and then just gave up and took the naps.Big toe is killing me again (gout?) Leg cramps are somewhat gone but
gained 3 pounds of (water?) back over the weekend........My shoulder is aching and my arms feel like lead again while I am typing. Haven't felt this bad in a year.......

I started Atkins on Jan 7 , 03
First I have just been struggling with the leg cramps but now the fatigue is back full force. Also my muscles are HEAVY again and spasming.If I turn too quickly they stiffen up.....Even hurt my neck clipping the dogs toenails.Just the squeezing hurt my neck and wrist. Seems like the simple things are getting to be too much again.

I am trying to stick with it but Oh man I feel AWFUL!

I was doing pretty good before I started Atkins. I had finally gotten the fatigue under control using coral calcium and some other supplements. I haven't been taking them as consistently since I started Atkins. but I have ordered more supplements to make up for the lack in Atkins.

I have hypoglycemia,adrenal exhaustion and fibromyalgia .I believe of course they are all related started with my reaction to carbs first so I am trying to start there since I know that refined carbs started this whole mess in the first place. I just did some reading about Schwarzbein and am considering a switch to that.....

Don't know if that would help but boy am I beat.
Thanks for any ideas,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 08:56

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, puppetlady...

sorry you are feeling so bad.

I am not very familiar with the diet you are on, but perhaps its the wrong one for you.

What other diets have you tried? Have you ever looked into the blood type diet?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 10:45

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

First, please try the 5HTP before bed - it is working WONDERS with me, today I WOKE UP WITHOUT AN ALARM CLOCK, AND I FELT LIKE I WAS NOT TIRED!!! That is unreal for me, I usually get 10 hours, and still have to drag my sorry body out of the sack.

My legs feel better, too. Getting better sleep is imperative with fibro and adrenal problems. Your muscles repair themself while you are in deep sleep, and people with fibro do not sleep deep enough. The 5HTP really helps you get better quality of sleep.

For the adrenal fatigue, I am currently taking Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin C, B complex, Vitamin E and MSM. Been taking that for the last 5 days, am feelin much better. Then the 5HTP at night.

Don't know if any of this will work for you, because everyone is different. But at the very least, try the 5HTP, it is inexpensive, too.

Hope you feel better!!!

-Jess
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/170/135 Female 5ft. 7.5inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Could you please tell me what the DHP? (the first supplement mentioned) is? I could use something to help out. I've got fibro, RA, Raynaud's, Lupus, CF - but the Atkins diet seems to help. Still am having terrible time sleeping, leg and hip pain while in bed. Could use some suggestions for those problems. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.
Was thrilled to find this forum!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:08
Registered Member

Stats: 206/170/135 Female 5ft. 7.5inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Sorry, I didn't get the right name - I didn't know I could see the message while I replied. Learned something new today!!
But I still need to know about 5HTP. Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 17:39

HI Quietone

I have been on Atkins since Jan 7, but am looking at Schwarzbein until my adrenals are more healed. Atkins seems a little harsh for my system. I had to take another nap from 9 to 11 and then almost feel asleep in the car today .I have never done that before so it was pretty scary........

Jessea ,I am so happy to hear the 5-htp is helping and Mine should arrive any day now. I order most of my supplements from www.vitacost.com. I did just find a really good article about using 5-htp in combination with St. John's wort and Magnesium at.

http://holistic-online.com/Remedies...HTP_therapy.htm

I was feeling pretty good before starting LCing so I am sure I can get back on track.\

I am just having the flu like feeling and fatigue. The leg cramps are better. I am just waiting for my new supplements to help me through the changes I am experiencing.

Debbie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 17:48

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default This is from a website...medquest

5-HTP, the immediate precursor to serotonin, is effectively absorbed into the bloodstream and readily passes the blood-brain barrier, to promote optimal serotonin balance in the brain.* 5-HTP was found to be superior to L-Tryptophan in this respect due to its being a step closer chemically to serotonin.

In recent clinical studies, therapeutic administration of 5-HTP was confirmed effective in treating depression, fibromyalgia, binge eating, chronic headaches, and insomnia.*

My husband and I have talked about trying it often, but never have. But with my memory impairment these days, I can't remember why we haven't. Or perhaps we did and I can't remember that either.

All I know is in Europe they have a drug now that actually adds serotonin instead of one of these SSRI's. SSRI's don't add anything, they just make what you have available for use over an over. This other drug supposedly actually makes your body produce more serotonin. I read about it about two years ago and still we hear nothing about it over here.

Man, didi3, you are really carrying a load. I will get my tests results back when I go back to the doctor (which I can't do until I do my sleep study). I really feel for you!

All I can say is, with what you are dealing with, try the 5HTP. If it works for you, then great!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 17:57

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default puppetlady

Sorry that you are feeling bad...What meds are you taking for the fibro..?...I know the tiredness....I have learned to just take those naps whenever they demand...

Another thought that came to mind was...Do you snore...????I find out that along with the fibromyalvia/lupus....I had sleep apnea...with my cpap my life has gotten much better....

The amytriptline 75 mg is really helping too, along with paxil 25 and zanax as needed plus thyroid..and all the other stuff for high blood pressure...well gotta get hubby home and we're having a birthday supper for now 4 year old grandson and hubby...birthday's the same day...just a long ways apart...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 18:45

Thanks Summer*rai,
I am feeling a bit better tonight.

I don't take any meds. Just lots of vitamins and minerals .They help bunches. I have just been having a flare since LCing because I have hypoglycemia and I am sure adrenal problems after reading Schwarbein Principle today.........

I think this was just too much too quick for me but I am sure it will all balance out with a bit of tweaking.

I do snore and I do catch myself not breathing when I take naps. It wakes me up so I am sure that doesn't help. I did try amytriptiline and It made me sleep 16 hours a day. I would rather not do that so I take coral calcium for the pain. I have some other herbs and vitamins that help with the thyroid stuff.

I am going to take some sleepy herbs to get a good nights rest along with a cal/mag. They are reccommended in Schwarzbein.
I am going to do that for a few nights to get some good sleep in hopefully, I was waking up ever morning at 5 and doing fine with that for over a couple of years now but boy I have gone down hill lately since starting LC. I am sure I will adjust I think I just haven't been getting enough good carbs.

Debbie
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 23:56

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Gosh, reading these posts really helps me get things into proper perspective. I now realize just how much I have healed my fibro as I *used* to have the symptoms described above, but I don't have them much any more. *What* a relief! I feel for every one of you. Keep at it--this thing CAN be beaten. I have done/do a combination of massage therapy/chiropractic to deal with the spasming; I do low carb/high protein to control my weight and blood sugar (diabetic). I take a huge host of supplements for immune/health support, but I'd have to say eliminating ALL starches from my diet and the massage therapy are the two things that helped the most. I take DSF by Nutriwest for my adrenals. My chiropractor/kineseologist and I are currently trying a supplement to lower my cortisol levels and so far I can see a difference with that as well. I take a LOT of magnesium and I like the coral calcium. I also watch my pH values of what I eat and I add sodium chlorite to everything I drink to lower the pH. (I also drink "Trinity" brand water, which is alkaline). I follow basic 'blood type' guidelines and avoid foods that will aggravate my immune system. I had to take a lot of melatonin and 5htp for about a year, but now I rarely need it. I did the guafenesin therapy for about a year, but my kidneys decided eliminating the medication and I guess the phosphorus along with it was irritating so I stopped it, but it did help for as long as I was doing it. It has taken me about 4 years to get to this point and I hadn't realized just how far I'd come until I read this thread. Don't despair--I am proof you can beat this thing, but it'll take time.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 08:15

Wow, thanks for telling us your story, and what worked for you. I think all of us with Fibromyalgia are hoping for relief, and we are all trying so many things.

Could you please elaborate on what you are taking for your adrenals? The DSF, what is in it? I think adrenal problems are part of my own scenario, so I am curious.

Fibro is so frustrating. People who don't have it just don't understand. One day you feel great, the next day it's like someone pulled the rug out from under you. Glad to hear you found relief, it was sure a long road for you!

Have a great day!

-Jess
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 16:00

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts
Stats: 199/182/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 29%

Jess,

How many mg's of the 5htp do you take each day.
I started taking 200 mg. per day and I was very nauseated.
Have you had that at all?
I am wondering if it was something else that made me sick. I am going to try again tomorrow.

Chelle
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 16:46

Default Still sick but a little better.

Today was a little better but I have been walking around in a daze all day. Could be low potassium again? Feel a bit lightheaded. Still had such a cramp in my instep so I have been limping around. I don't worry about sounding like a whiner anymore . After 5 years of this cramping off and on I figure anyone who has Fibro Knows exactly what I am talking about and anyone who doesn't well I guess I just sound like a whiner but OH my Gosh I feel like I got hit by a mack truck at this point. Just swirling around here today. Anytime I move I seem to send some new muscle into a spasm. If I hold the phone with one shoulder then other one starts into cramping.

I have been reading Schwarzbein again today. Sorta jumping all over the place. I can see she really believes in healing totally with diet and hormone replacement if necessary. I am going try this WOE because I think I have given atkins a good month and I am just way too sick to keep going. I will try eating 5 times a day. I did notice since starting to eat during the day on a regular basis that my hypoglycemia is worse and I need to eat every 3 or 4 hours which is fine. I know it is my body saying hey !!!!!!!! don't stop now. FEED ME!!!!!!!! Had some cantalope today which was a welcome treat. I probably should stick with veggies but had 2 of those melons in the fridge that need to get eaten so as not to go to waste so I decided to have that with my lunch.

I thought before changing my WOE that I was pretty much on the mend with my Fibro but Really concentrating on my eating has shown me that I have a long way to go. Most of the stability I was experiencing was just coming from eating the same old way to control my sugar swings which was only eating a couple of times a day. Now that I am not doing that my body is trying to adjust to just eating food. NEW concept for me. Just can't stand feeling so awful when I eat but I understand that this is the way it can be. pg 165 Schwarzbein

Dr. Schwarzbein says :
"by the time I was nineteen years old, all food made me feel ill......I felt sick from not eating ; if I ate I still felt sick.. I thought I must be allergic to food."

This was like OH WOW someone else who has the same thing going on. I have been having this problem since I was 16 . If I eat I feel "sick" If I don't eat I feel "sick" I almost cried when I read that but now I know what to do. as sick as I am feeling I have to eat to get the blood sugar under control and my metabolism to heal. I could care less about my weight right now When you feel this sick it doesn't take top priority.It is like when you have the flu .You just want chicken soup and a warm blanket.
Oh well gotta run......Hope you are all well, Debbie
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 18:38

First of all, to Chelle, I take 100mg of 5htp right before bed. I started taking 50, but increased to 100. It is helping SO much, I can't believe it! Of course, I am sure the low carb is helping a great deal, too.

Second, to Puppetlady, I am so sorry you are feeling so terrible! You need a hug:

I am wondering, do you have Candida? I felt really really awful on Atkins for the first three to four weeks. But then the tide turned. I found out through research that it was Candida. I have read some theories that Candida causes Fibromyalgia. If you are feeling badly, you could be experiencing die-off from the candida. I found that my fibro symptoms were worse during this time, as well.

If you were ever on alot of antibiotics, it is very possible you have it. If you ate alot of sugar, and had bad sugar cravings, that is another symptom of Candida. You might want to research it and see if you think it applies to you. I am still experiencing the die off symptoms, but not as badly.

It is also possible that you have food allergies. Before my food allergies were diagnosed, and at their worst, everything made me sick to the point of vomiting.

Please keep us posted on how you are feeling, and check out some information about Candida. If you need some links, let me know. You will feel better, because you are on the right track, I think, like me, you need to do some fine tuning. But no matter what, giving up sugar and grains is the right thing to do for your fibromyalgia!! Hope your 5 HTP comes soon, it is helping me sleep like a baby!

Take care, and God Bless!!

-Jess
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 10:40
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Candida's Mystery Symptoms

Hi There,
I would second the suspicion about candida. I have had all the cramping and spasms etc. that you have mentioned for years. And they have all disappeared after a couple of months of anti-candida supplements.

This was an amazing side-effect! I was taking the caprilic acid (i think that is what it was) for general health. My naturopath didn't even connect the spasms with the candida when prescribing it. ( I'm having a foggy day here, so please bear with me) After taking the CA for a while I noticed that the cramping and restless leg syndrome had vanished. To tell you the truth, I was initially skeptical about candida infection. It seemed too vague a condition. Also I have been on Atkins for quite some time and thought tht the body would have cleaned up any excess yeast easily since I wasn't eating any sugar or starches. But as they say "the proof of the pudding...."!

Candida may also be why you are feeling so bad after going on Atkins. I was warned that you get severe reactions when you kill off the yeast too quickly, and that the process must build up gradually. So perhaps your system is being overloaded by yeast that is being starved and sloughed off. I would be carefull about going to a diet that added sustaining nutrients though. But I'm not an expert in that area.

Good luck

Colin