Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 20:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/123/120
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Urine Odor and Ketosis

Not a very lady-like subject, but need to ask anyway. I notice during induction (probably in week 2) that my urine started to have a horrible smell. I thought I read somewhere that that is a sign of ketosis--is it? I've looked for test sticks at Meijer, K-mart, and the grocery store but can't find them anywhere. I do notice that I drop pounds when the smell is there--what do you think? Is that my indicator of ketosis? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:06

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Yup, it stinks!

I've noticed the same thing. And that constant metallic taste in my mouth lets me know I'm in ketosis, too.

The strips are usually back with the pharmacist, not out on the shelves. So you just have to ask for ketone testing strips. (I guess they're expensive enough and the box is small enough that they could easily be shoplifted.)

If you do get the strips, don't worry about the shade of pink to purple--even the slightest pink signals ketosis. I was very happy to see mine change from being beige for a few days to pink .

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:38

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

In Canada, the stix are with the supplies for diabetics. They used to be behind the pharmacy counter but are now out on the shelves in Shoppers' Drug Marts. They cost about $7.50 Canandian. I hear that Wal-Mart in the US has them. The most common brand name is Ketostix by Bayer.

And the interesting odour is less expensive. If you are losing, why bother with the stix?

#4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 07:37
Registered Member

Stats: 135/123/120
BF:
Progress: 80%

THanks for the responses. I was looking for the sticks when I had stopped losing for two weeks. Now that I've started losing again, I'm not the interested in finding them (though I think it would be helpful for my husband). Interestingly, I have looked with the diabetic supplies, and even asked the pharmacist for them. It's crazy that I can't find them! Anyway...if the urine odor really does mean ketosis...than I'm more than happy with that!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 08:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/193/? Male 6'
BF:15/10/...
Progress: 106%
Wink

Hi.

has anyone found that the levels on the 'pee-tostix' change depending on time of day you use them? sometimes a trace amount for me, but other times more pink. later in the day or onto the evening seems to register more keytones for me.

#6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 08:12

Stats: 185/179/135
BF:
Progress: 12%

I actually suppose it is possible to have a bad odor but it sounds actually more to me like perhaps you may just need to up your water intake. this will help that alot. I drink just tons of it a day.
I have been in deep ketosis for 10 days and have clear non smelling urine. I have had in the past but it was just my body getting a bit dehydrated. Try upping your water intake and see if it helps. Good luck
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 10:40

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes, you may get different readings at different times of the day. It has to do with time you eat or drink and the food gets processed and maybe also with when you drink water.

Ketones are lost through the breath from the lungs, and also via the intestines. Testing the urine for ketones is the cheapest, easiest (and least messy ) way of checking. The Atkins Center in NYC uses a big expensive machine to measure ketones in the breath as the most reliable measure.

Atkins recommends the evening in some of his books, but the morning was always my strongest reading. You can also lose weight successfully while NOT apparently putting out many ketones. A Trace reading of pale pink IS ketosis.

#8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 12:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 345/265/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Ketostix (name brand) are available at Wal-mart in the Pharmacy with the diabetic supplies. In my part of the country they cost about $12 for 50.

I followed the links from lowcarber.org's to this site - you can get 100 for $7.95 plus S&H at http://www11.netrition.com/lw_ketone_strips_page.html
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 08:05
quietstorm

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default "Urining" Desire

I have found that there is an odor also; and it seems I have been "going like a racehorse."
It also seems warmer than usual.

==============================================
Remember the Columbia 1981-2003
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 10:39

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

In the absence of carbohydrate, and after fasting, the liver will produce ketone bodies (plus glucose, via gluconeogenesis, of course). The ketone bodies do have a distinctive smell, which can be detected in the breath. The urine will also smell of them (if the other urine smells don't overwhelm them).

The smell is difficult to describe . Some people cannot smell acetoacetic acid as such, but can recognise the acetone smell in the breath. If you are able to smell acetoacetic acid it is very distinctive, and not easily mistaken for anything else. The closest other smell resembling that of acetoacetic acid is very ripe apples, but not everyone finds that a useful description.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 10:44

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Just to add that the smell of urine could be all kind of things and is not a valid test of ketosis.

There could be a urinary tract infection, bladder infections and some even claim that eating asparagus makes the urine smell.

As we do not have "websmell" I doubt anyone can really advise what the smell of anyone elses urine really means.

Last edited by rustpot : Mon, Feb-03-03 at 10:50.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 12:58

Stats: 222/194/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 45%

interesting about the asparagus...I too have had a urine smell, AND I have been eating asparagus! I never knew that!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 13:10

Stats: 205/189/170
BF:
Progress: 46%

if you're eating asparagus its definately what is causing the problem.

Its a fact it makes ya smelly. Eat a bunch of asparagus and drink water and when you go take a wiff, no good I tell ya.

It would smell like that if you're on the diet or not
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-14, 08:00

Stats: 200/198/150 Female 69.5
BF:
Progress:
Question In Full blown Ketosis after 2nd Day-but no smells

I have heard you are suppossed to get stinky breath and urine but i haven't experienced it yet.

I do get cotton mouth and my body is definitely telling me to drink TONS (and i get lower back(kidney) cramps as well).

I got the ketostix's (name brand but most pharmacy's carry those) from the pharmacy at walgreens (youhave to ask for them).

I have lost 2 pounds (i am sure is water weight) in the last 2 days-besides back cramps and the beginning of a headache...the only other symptom i have is really weird...i cant sleep. I fall asleep but wake often racing mind and it is like i am thinking even when asleep.

I have more energy for sure during the day than i have had in a year. I am wondering when this stinky pee and breath thing is going to kick in though...
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-14, 15:44

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Wow nice resurrection there.
Welcome...