Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 11:14

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

I am doing about 1 meal every other day a somers meal. It hasnt been a week yet, but I can honestly say I feel generally good, whereas I was not feeling 100% on Atkins. I think perhaps my body needs a little more carbs than what is permitted on Atkins. The best thing...after being stalled on Atkins for 1 1/2 months... on Somers for 1 week I have lost 1.5 lbs. Yippee!

Last edited by jedigddss : Tue, Jan-21-03 at 11:18.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 12:04

Plan: atkins (for induction) "Protien power" at present
Stats: 202/189/130
BF:
Progress: 18%

Well alright Jedi! Hope you don't mind...But, I think I'm going to keep an eye on you and see how your transition goes...Sounds like your taking it slow.....If your doing one pro/fat meal of Suzannes every other day...Is there a big difference in that meal as compared to an Atkins meal?

Never thought I'd envy someone eating an apple! Ha Ha

best of luck!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:41

BF:

Hi Ivy!
I meant to say I am doing one carbos/veg meal every other day. NOT a pro/fats meal every other day. I am generally doing Atkins meals(aka somers' pro/fats meals)90% of the time. NO, I havent eaten fruit yet but hopefully soon. I work 7 days/week and the hours have not allowed me to get a nice piece of fruit in (mainly because you have to eat them on an empty stomach, and my stomach is rarely ever "empty" as per somers WOE, so I cant fit it in) Hopefully soon! I am looking forward to progressing on this WOE, too. I'll keep you posted on the progress!!!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 15:28

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Jedi!
I guess I am doing the same thing as you. I am sticking to Somers' pro/fat meals most of the time, and adding one carb meal (usually breakfast) 1-3 times a week. It has been working out pretty good for me.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:21

Plan: atkins (for induction) "Protien power" at present
Stats: 202/189/130
BF:
Progress: 18%

Actually I had read in one of her books that this very thing had happened to her....She was coasting along on level 1 and suddenly stalled, couldnt drop any more weight...She said she completely stopped eating carbo meals in hopes of loosing more....She either gained weight or continued to stall (can't remember which)....She talked to her Dr/nutritionist about it...Who suggested that she add a small baked potatoe to her diet occasionally...It worked, she started loosing again...So her carbo meals must be your baked potatoe lol
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:29

BF:

Same here. I added a whole grain cereal a few days for b-fast in the last week, and maybe next week I will do a couple of dinner meals perhaps. Keeping it interesting...
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:32
HELP!!!

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/175/140 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 56%

wow my dr. just said yesterday to add a sweet potato once in awile. I guess it must work.Stacey
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 22:47

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 200/200/150
BF:too much
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up New book

I have to agree that "Eat Cheat and Melt the Fat Away" is an awesome book. Although Suzanne tends to repeat herself over and over, it is an excellent book. I feel like she's talking directly to me, and not trying to use big words like Dr. Atkins does. Also, she includes TONS of recipes in the back. I haven't tried any yet, but I can't wait! Usually, it's another book you have to buy for recipes. I've only been on the diet for 4 days, but when I'm LC'ing it, I feel so much better and I'm not so tired and sleepy all the time. I have hypoglycemia, so LC'ing is a must. Hopefully, I can stick w/ SS and lose all the weight that I've gained in the last 2 years. Louisiana is NOT the place for dieting...this is the land of FOOD! I'll have to at least try the cheesecake, tho. Thanks!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 22:49

Default Hey Kelly...

you're before and after pics are great! Talk about some inspiration! Thanks!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 07:01

BF:
Default Hi Krisperz

Thanks for the compliment. I lost my weight thorugh low carb and working out. I have to admit, it was just on diet alone.

I did put on a few pounds (5-10 pounds) since that picture was taken. So I am working hard to get back to that image again.

I also feel so much better when I am low carbing. I have engery, and I "feel" thinner. Once I get carb loaded no no's I feel terrible. So why do I still eat that junk????

Society plays a big role for me on why I cheat. If I don't have the bun with my burger, I feel like I am not eating the whole meal. Not because I am still hunrgy, but because society makes us believe we NEED the bread, or the potatoes or the dessert to have a complete meal.

So I need to re-train my brain to think for itself, and not what society or culture thinks I should or shouldn't be eating.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 01:56

Default Carbs are yummy!

At least that's why I cheat...haha. I cheated the other day when I went eat sushi, but aside from the rice & the sauce (haha), it's healthy! If they didn't taste so darn good, we wouldn't eat them. After I've been on the low carb thing for about a week, I don't crave sugar as much, but I sure would love to bite into a Snicker bar right now. haha I love being able to stay awake at work AT NIGHT. It's so embarrassing to fall asleep at work in the middle of conversation w/ your coworkers. I'm hypoglycemic (I think I mentioned that before) & sugar is the devil for a hypoglycemic. Low carb diets are the only diets that help me a) lose weight & b)stay awake. I hope this time I can stick to it long enough to see a big enough difference so that it makes me want to keep on truckin' along!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 17:52

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi

I too, have been thinking about SS -- I did do great on Atkins, but after a while, it became difficult and to be honest, a bit boring plus, I was under a great deal of stress.

I both two books of her, the Fast and Easy, and her new one. I saw her on HSN, of course, showing all of her foods, gadgets and etc.

My impression so far of my reading, is that most people on this WOL lose slower... due to the "treats" and things she offers. Also, I have to admit that the waiting after fruit or combo thing is a bit confusing.

Correct me if I am wrong :

But, she is LC? So therefore, if we do a combo of Atkins/SS - we can use her recipes -- right? Her basic principal is that similiar to Atkins or am I miss reading her????

Let me know your thoughts. I am glad I found this thread and hopefully, we can work on this together.

ATM
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yes, somersizing is definately low carb, but you don't count carbs which is nice. It also doesn't cut out entire food groups, like bread and fruit. You do not limit low carb veggies, and you are not dependant on vitamin supplements. I am conbining Atkins and somersizing in that I am having low carb baking substitutes (soy flour, flax meal, nuts, etc) with fat (butter, cream cheese, etc) on SS nuts are considered funky and you do not combine carbs with fat. I found I never had carb meals on SS anyway. The fruit thing takes a bit of getting used to, but it is so nice to have fruit for a change and if you eat them alone they do not affect your weight loss. I usually have just fruit for breakfast, or a mid afternoon snack, but only once a day! It'samazing how sweet fruit tastes now, its like candy, so I'm limiting it more and more. Good luck!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 06:48

BF:

SS takes bit to get use to. But I think it is great! Nothing is totally off limits (except for her funky food list)

I try to stick to the LC meals for the most part. And if I want a carb meal, it is usual breakfast. And like what foxy said, I will have a piece of fruit mid afternoon (few hours before supper) It is a great treat.
As long as you keep the fruits/carbs away from the pro/fats the diet works great. You just can't combine the carbs and the pro/fats
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 08:01

Thumbs up SS

The fruit is definitely a treat! If I lose the weight slow becuz I'm able to eat fruit and carbs that Atkins doesn't allow for, that's ok! At least I'll be able to lose weight at all. I was beginning to feel like I was gaining 2-3 lbs a week and now I'm finally losing some and feeling better. I'm not tired like I used to be, and I can function all day long (or all night at work.)

This diet is so much easier to follow than Atkins in the way that I can eat so much more and there's no 2 weeks of "initiation" so to speak. I hate counting those carbs. Counting anything stinks. I know there's Level 1 & Level 2, but after trying Atkins, Level 1 is a breeze!

I've only been on the diet for a week. I don't think I'm gonna weigh myself for a while. Feeling free-er in my clothes is proof enough for me!