Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/291/160
BF:
Progress: 13%
Talking Thanks

Thanks....I am looking at a way to keep the sugar down on this....using the amount that the recipe calls for makes the sugar really high...I was quite puffy this a.m and up 1.5 lbs....I am sure it is the salt and sugar combo....
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 12:05

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%

I used Fitday to count up the carbs, cals, fat and protein for this recipe. I hope I did it right. I just added each individual ingredient until I got the totals for each step. I already subtracted fiber from the carb counts...

Noodles
Carbs: 32g
Calories: 3087
Fat: 231g
Protein: 214g

Tomato Meat Sauce
Carbs: 66g
Calories: 2054
Fat: 129g
Protein: 146g

Ricotta Filling
Carbs: 54g
Calories: 3966
Fat: 253g
Protein: 354g

Totals for entire recipe
Carbs: 152g
Calories: 9107
Fat: 613g
Protein: 714g

The totals come out pretty high, but I'm sure this recipe makes lots of servings so that each isn't all that high in carbs. I haven't made it yet, so I'm not sure how many servings to divide it into. How many servings do you all get in general?
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 12:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I get 8 servings, but I make a low tomato sauce, meatier version with more spinach.

Karen
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 12:46
Wombat Ashramite

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Athena,

Thanks for doing the legwork on the carb counts. I usually get 16 servings from this. Unfortunately, it's so good that I sometimes eat two servings...

I don't see why you couldn't reduce the sauce, or change the type of sauce to something like Alfredo. Hunts makes a brand of "no sugar added" tomato sauce that comes in a can and is quite inexpensive. Muir Glen is low in carbs and, in my opinion, is one of the tastiest brands. I make my own sauce in large batches and then I freeze it. The carb count is quite a bit lower than commercial (the recipe is not mine, so I can't post it, unfortunately. Perhaps Karen has a good one that she would be gracious enough to share)

Happy Eating,
Dig
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 15:07
Registered Member

Stats: 311/291/160
BF:
Progress: 13%

I will tell you that this makes a very thick overflowing 13x9 pan full. So depending on how big or small you made your pieces the carb count is still pretty high. I also think you could decrease the tomato sauce a great deal and maybe even take out some of the other high carb/sugar ingredients. I will try it and let you know.

I made it and it was wonderful but it gave me heartburn and I have not had that since I started this WOL. So...something isn't right in the combo (for me). I have noticed that when I combine carbs and fat and sugar I have heartburn....so I will be serving it to company.....ha ha!!!!

I will let you know what I find out about the modified recipe. I would like to find one that I could use on atkins for just after induction....
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 10:01

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Made this last night, WOW! Thanks for the recipe.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 18:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Talking WOW!!!!!

Just made it for the first time for supper......and all I have to say is WOW!!!!! Instead of the ricotta filling I used 6 ounces sour cream mixed with 2 ounces dry grated parmaesan cheese and it turned out wonderfully!

Thanks for a keeper of a recipe!!!!!

Nicole
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 20:15

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Talking Yum Yum Yum!!!!

This is absolutely wonderful and relatively easy to prepare. I used some leftover meat sauce I had in the freezer. For the shredded cheese I used an Italian blend by Sargento. I followed Karen's recipe for the ricotta filling, but I didn't add sausage this time (although that does sound good). I cut it into 15 pieces. Dh and I agreed that although we could have eaten 2 pieces, 1 piece was satisfying. Dad ate two pieces. I would definitely serve this to company.

Jen
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 20:44

Stats: 250/237/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 11%

I tried a new lasagne recipe last week (before I found this one) and it turned out great. Thought someone may like my version. I made a hamburger/sausage meatsauce with Walden Farms zero carb marinara sauce, layered it with shredded Italian cheese (Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, Romano, Fontian & Asiago), full-fat Ricotta, and sliced zuchini. Also added some garlic powder, cracked black pepper, and oregano. With around 25gms in all the cheese, 8-10gms in the zuchini, and 0gms in the marinara-it's very low in carbs. I got 6 very healthy portions out of this. Next time I'm going to add a small amount of "no sugar added" tomato sauce to give it an extra kick.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 21:54

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I just made this tonight and wanted to thank you! It is so delicious. I know I'll make it again and try some of the variations mentioned! Thanks!
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 16:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/137/120 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Digwig First a huge thank you I just made this and OMGD...... I made the noodles as is and the sause made homemade (had tons of tomatos and zuccinni/shrooms that had to be used) with grd bees and hot Itailian sausage (I take the casing off and cook with grd beef). DH and I are just off inducation and totaly craving pasta so I do believe that your recipe has helped us to stay on board Thank you
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 17:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/137/120 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

er, I am NOT the best proof reader around and tend to hit submit before rereading.....SORRY

sause = sauce
bees = beef
the rest are speling errors.....
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 17:27

Plan: Atkins (calories count)
Stats: 204/148/150 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Just a quick tip. If you line your baking pans with parchment paper the transfer of the second "noodle" to make the top layer is a breeze, AND clean-up is much easier!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 18:10
Wombat Ashramite

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

What a great tip Dena. I've been meaning to get over to this thread for a while to say that I've made it the lazy way a few times, without making separate noodles, but just pouring the egg mixture over the cheese, meat and ricotta filling and it tastes exactly the same. It's not as elegant, but shaves quite a bit of time off the prep. If I were making it for guests, I would still make the "noodles," but for us at home, I do it the quick way.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:05
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Just a quick add on this great thread, I make faux-sagne with left over meat sauce for a quick lunch or dinner when I can't eat what the mob is having. I just put drained canned spinach in the bottom of a bowl, layer cottage cheese over that, sometimes sprinkle a grated cheese on that, then top it with a hearty meat sauce. Great way to use up left over sauce (I always make too much!). Then just nuke it to heat it up.

Last edited by m1whowaits : Tue, Nov-18-03 at 11:06.