Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 14:32

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

I had horible ones between my lesgs and under my arms, but with weight loss they have all but dissappeared!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 05:54

Plan: SB,FFP
Stats: 239.4/239.4/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have had this for several years and have been very self concious about it. I have it on th eback of my neck, my armpits, between my thighs and although I cant see it, I think I have it on my scalp also. I am on the South Beach Diet, which has gotten my sugar level down and doing good. So hopefully, this WOE will eventually aid in this condition going away or at least get better.....
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 03:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 332/289/170 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi everyone, I can relate to what everyone on here has said. I allmost wanted to cry when I read this thread, because I remember how it was when I was in Elementary School and Middle School, and people would comment about my neck, I too used to get rubbing alchol and scrub at my neck untill it was raw, and nothing would happen... I have it on my neck, thighs, arm pits, the crease between my arms and between my breast... Hopefully one day it will clear up, so I can wear my hair up one day.

Alot of it has cleared up a bit by doing Low Carb... I used to have the "ring around the neck" the front of my neck has lightened up, but its still a little dark at the back of my neck, the crease of my arms have cleared up all the way, between my breast is mostly all cleared up. Between my thighs and my armpits are still dark (its has lightened just a little bit)... I do belive that this WOE has cleared up my skin, and with more weight I lose I hope it lightens up...

Anyways girls, keep your head up.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 10:26

Plan: My own
Stats: 253/152/133 Female 5'5 ft
BF:
Progress: 84%

I have it too! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 10 years ago. My doctor says that the only way to disappear is to loose weight.

Now that I am loosing weight, they lightened up and are not so scratchy. I have them in my armpits (I never raise my hands with t-shirts without sleeves), neck, elbows and in my shanks.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 02:32

Plan: dunno
Stats: 210/210/200 Male 70 inches
BF:

I truly hate this skin condition called AN. Its affected my love life, and has truly limited my self confidence in so many ways. I want to know if theres any surgical way to get rid of this. I used to be a big guy, 240 pounds, but over the years I've gotten very muscular and and weigh 210. I can't seem to get over this weight plateu so I continue to lift weights and replace my fat with muscle. But still the dark bands show on my armpits and thighs. I 've tried retin a, alpha hydroxy, anything i can get my hands on. Does anyone have a way to beach the skin. I'm of azn descent.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 07:57
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Vitamin D, calcium, GTF Chromium and Gymnema sylvestre might all be helpful as AN and PCOS are symptoms of insulin resistance and these all help. The most significant for reversing PCOS symptoms is vitamin D.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 00:00

Plan: atkins regular
Stats: 174/156/132 Female 168
BF:
Progress:
Default Acanthosis N

Hey gurlz! Well, after reading all of your stories, i was compelled to try to help. Now, I cannot make any guarantee, but I used something called Selenium Sulfide shampoo on my neck, and it actually got rid of my AN on my neck. I dunno why.. As for my armpits, Im using this cream that gets rid of it, but you have to keep on using it or it come back. It's called triamcincolone acetonide cream. Ladies, it works for me, but I do not want to guarantee anything! So, if you guys wanna try it, cool. If it doesn't work, Im sorry. The best way to get rid of An is to EXCERCISE! and eat right. OH! the culprit is CORN SYRUP. It's this sugary substance that is in a lot of foods, and its horrible for the pancreas. The best thing to cut out is SODA, and anything with corn syrup. i'd also try yoga too. To reduce stress. I believe you can get rid of AN, but it takes determination and discipline. Try step aerobics! Good lord i lost soo much weight doing step aerobics, and it's fun. Now, if you guys decide to do it, don't get frustrated and leave. When I started out, I wasnt too great and I always messed up, but I didnt give up and i kept going and now I'm one of the best! So keep ur head up high. Good luck
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 00:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184.8/164.1/149.6 Female 165 cm  5' 4"
BF:>30%/19%/12%
Progress: 59%

Wow! I've had these skin patches under one armpit for years and they have come and gone dependant on my weight. I also got them across under my breasts and between my breasts when I was at my heaviest. They were much darker during pregnancy and when I was a lot heavier.

There you go! I never knew what they were. Sort of worries me a bit that they are related to diabetes, as my father has type II (adult onset) diabetes. I've always been very fit and healthy apart from a few years in my adult life - so I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have to worry about diabetes.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 15:06

Plan: None as of yet
Stats: 110/110/105 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

But I'm not overweight so what could it be? I've had this since around 10 years old and am now 23. Weigh 110 pounds and 5'2" I've always been very physically active. Can't say the same for my diet so I will have to try something out. Since I'm Chinese I eat a lot of white rice. I hope it was not the culprit as I've always considered it to be very healthy as that's what all Chinese eat! I will be getting my sugar levels checked soon. I hope all is well.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 15:38
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien.soun
But I'm not overweight so what could it be? I've had this since around 10 years old and am now 23. Weigh 110 pounds and 5'2" I've always been very physically active. Can't say the same for my diet so I will have to try something out. Since I'm Chinese I eat a lot of white rice. I hope it was not the culprit as I've always considered it to be very healthy as that's what all Chinese eat! I will be getting my sugar levels checked soon. I hope all is well.
AN is a sign of insulin resistance. You don't have to be overweight to have insulin resistance.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 16:43

Plan: My Own Evil Plan
Stats: 260.0/250/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 8%

Are these patches caused from high bloodsugar or high insulin levels in the blood?
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-05, 15:37

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 230/230/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Exclamation Hey girls.....

Hi...I'm 16 and I have AN....I cried when I read over all these posts....I am overweight and I hate it I am trying to eat right, but it's hard...I have AN around my neck, under my arms in the groin ect. Its so hard to live w/ since I'm in High school and these kids can be rough in this day and age! I have a b/f that "claims" he hasnt seen it but he has, I wanna die when I catch him glancing.....I just started a diet today so I will keep you girls posted.....This is so hard to life w/ and I'm glad that I have some one to talk to......Thank you guys so much.....
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-05, 16:54

Plan: My own
Stats: 253/152/133 Female 5'5 ft
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia16
Hi...I'm 16 and I have AN....I cried when I read over all these posts....I am overweight and I hate it I am trying to eat right, but it's hard...I have AN around my neck, under my arms in the groin ect. Its so hard to live w/ since I'm in High school and these kids can be rough in this day and age! I have a b/f that "claims" he hasnt seen it but he has, I wanna die when I catch him glancing.....I just started a diet today so I will keep you girls posted.....This is so hard to life w/ and I'm glad that I have some one to talk to......Thank you guys so much.....

With the diet, 99% they will disappear. And even if they don't, this is not the end of the world. I have shown my fiance these awful patches before and I explained to him what is it and why I have them. He seemed very understanding.

Just start your LC plan, follow it and you will be fine. Good luck
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-05, 11:47

Plan: low-fat, low-cal,EXERCISE
Stats: 246/194/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

That's awesome how well everyone is doing, I actually got a little depressed and lazy after a while and didnt work out for a couple of months, but I am starting to now again and dieting and the weight is coming off again. The AN around my neck is a lot lighter and the one between my legs is lighter too. It's going to take time. I hope everyone keeps up the good work during the New Year and don't give up, look at what all this hard work does for us, the weight is going to keep coming off as long as we keep working for it!
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-05, 14:56

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%
Default Similar

Hi Luisa777,
I developed the line onthe stomach, which many pregnant women get, but I also developed lines down the back of my legs. My niece gets it around her neck. We both have PCOS. Mine went away after my pregnancy, but I also lost quite a bit of weight afterward. My neice however has not and hers has stayed. Whether it is connected or not - I don't know????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa777
In the first trimester of pregnancy I started noticing this brownish, velvety patches of rough skin between my breast and under my armpits. My Dr. said that it was a pregnancy symptom, so I let it go.. My daughter is now 9 months old and I still have these nasty looking patches and now my doctor tells me that it looks like a gunfus!!! after a lot of research I found out what is called and that it is not a fungus! It is related to high levels of insulin and other conditions..
Do any of you ladies have this? I am worried that it could be something else.
Thanks for reading!
Take care