Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 18:07
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Hey! I just noticed this morning that mine is way lightened!

The neck ring is lighter, and my armpits are just plain flesh color now! No brownishness!

Woo!

I haven't lost much weight - but this is so thrilling!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:43

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Ybella!!!

that is great!!

like i said... it went away around my wrists too ... something is working!!!!

take care,
m_
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 21:02

Stats: 268/250/150
BF:UK
Progress: 15%
Default Me too

Yes, I have this too. Anywhere on my body that seems to have the most body heat, under the arms, brests, upper-inner thigh. I am lucky that mine is very light, not too noticable. I do not know what I would do for it. I have a big group of freckles in the same dark areas, too. I am glad to read your post, now I at least know what it is. It is nice to read what all of you wright and to know that I am not alone. Sometimes I feel so hopeless about the whole PCOS and obesity deal that I could just break down. All of you sharing helps so much, thanks.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 308/158/160 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 101%

I had never heard of this before today and just chanced to read about it in a news item I was reading about obese kids. Wow, and I thought I had a weird reaction to the gold necklace I always wear (despite the fact that 3 months of not wearing it didn't clear it up). No longer will I scrub furiously at my neck! It is a pain (in the neck ) because it prevents me from wearing my hair up, so it gets pretty hot in the summer!

I shall watch with interest if it fades as I continue the journey DOWN!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 05:45
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default i'm with you...

Hi ladies,

In a horrible way, it's nice to know that others are suffering through the same thing. Makes you feel less alone. I'm not sure whether I've got PCOS yet because I haven't done all the tests, but my doctor said she thought it was likely, and I've got all the ugly symptoms - the weight, the hair - and yes, the skin darkening. I've had that ring around my neck for as long as I can remember, definitely since I was 12 or 13 (which is when I really started putting on weight) possibly since before - since I started my period, maybe? Also my armpits and my inner thighs. I hate it and am very conscious of it. I've been low carbing for over a year and a half now, and I haven't really seen any of it lighten, although sometimes I think the neck has a bit. But I have lost 55 lbs so far, and my periods have gone back to normal, probably because of that. I actually went to a dermatologist about something else once and asked him whether the neck thing was AN and he said he didn't think it was, but I have to say, I think he's wrong. It just makes so much sense. I know I'm insulin resistant, I've almost definitely got PCOS, low carbing has worked and removes my cravings in a way nothing else ever has, and why else would I have that skin thing. I certainly wash too! Maybe it'll start fading if I continue to lose weight. I certainly hope so. Has anyone here gone on PCOS medication that's helped with the weight loss and/or the hair? I'm not trying to get pregnant right now, so it's the aesthetic aspect I'm more concerned with. And being so sensitive about the way I look, I hate going to a doctor if I don't absolutely have to. Knowing that people have been diagnosed with PCOS and then given something that helped them with the symptoms might encourage me to do the deed and get myself properly diagnosed!

Thanks

Deborah
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 15:43

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%
Talking pcos and dark skin

I haven't diagnosed with pcos but I have all the symtems
including the dark skin around the neck and elsewhere.
I got rid of it when I started to bleed for over 3 months
and my doctor put me an anti-androgen called cyproterone
acetate in a birth control type called Diane -35. It regulated my
period tho still heavy, most of the beard,and the dark skin.
I can't seem to lose weight, but Now I have HOPE!!! Thank you
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 16:23

Stats: 259/235/170? Female 67 inches (5'7")
BF:
Progress: 14%

I was diagnosed with PCOS 20 years ago (when I was 17)... but it was just last year that I first noticed dark patches in my arm pits. Had read somewhere once that this often occurs in women w/ PCOS, so once I noticed the dark patches I was able to link it to the PCOS (although I didn't realize how it correlated with high insulin levels - thanks for the info!!)... anyway, I didn't worry too much about the patches since few people actually get up close and personal with my pits ... Now for the good news - I just read this thread this morning...and I thought "Wow, so many other people have this, too! Interesting. " Soon after, I took a shower and decided to check out my dark patches - and to my surprise they're almost gone!!! I couldn't see any evidence of the patches under my right arm... the patch is still there under my left arm, but it's very faint. I couldn't believe it!! I think this is a true testament to how well this diet is working to get my insulin levels under control. I've only been doing the diet for a very short time (3 weeks), but already it's made such a difference for me! Anyway, just wanted to share my "dark patch" story with you. Thanks so much for bringing up this topic and sharing info!!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 22:19

Stats: 310/310/185 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy I have AN and I just figured it out after 33 years

I thought i was the only person in the world with a "dirty" neck. I remember vividly my two aunts scrubbing my neck in disgust with alcohol(I still feel my neck burning from being rubbed raw). I felt like they thought I had not bathed when I was perfectly clean. I will never forget that feeling of shame.

I have been so embarassed by the discoloration on my neck for so many years. I am a light-skinned half African American and Native American female so the discoloration really is distinct. I wear my shirts buttoned all the way up to the neck(which is quite hot in the summer time). I only just figured out what I had by searching the net---I was shocked and relieved at the same time. You know, it finally had a name. I was only discouraged by the hoplessness of the treatment or cure---none really. Losing weight COULD help---or some acne medicine called Differin might lighten affected areas slightly--I just want someone to tell me that there is something that can be done to "free" me from this prison. I just want to wear a nice necklace, or a tee-shirt for goodness sake. Help.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 05:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158.5/155/130
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi, I'm an aesthetician (skin tech) and I'd ask you to see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to see if the latest in skin resurfacing lazor treatments would get rid of the problem with the patches of brown skin. I'll almost bet it will. Good luck!!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 10:28

Stats: 334/328/???
BF:
Progress:

kimnq4eva,
You talking about your aunts reminded me of being 12. My mom and great uncle used to harrass me and tell me to go scrub my neck, that I had missed it!!! No I hadn't, actually I was very aware of it and often tried to scrub it myself. There were a few times I remember having them tagteam scrub my neck. I was crying inside, even though I would never let them know.

I have found that the use of Vitamin E cream can help soften the patches a bit, but it has to be used daily for a few weeks before you see much change. I see it help more on my neck, but it also helps keep me from chaffing in the armpits during the summer.

My question for everyone is do any of you who have this darkening of the skin have skin tags? I have been told so many different reasons why I have them. So they go away after you LC for a while? Or with meds? I have noticed that they are popping up all over lately. It was one of the main reasons I decided to return to the LC lifestyle. I figured even if it just stopped new ones that would be good. I have them on my neck, between my breasts, and the worst place is the armpits. They are so thick I can't shave my pits. So I have been cutting my pit hair with scissors when it is long enough. I feel so uncomfortable with this that I hate to wear a swimsuit or anything else that may show any of my arms near my pits! These are gross. To top it off the dr told me to use some toenail clippers and clip them off. I can't-I'm not into self inflicted pain!!!! My aunt has tried to use the electrology machine to shrink them, but it took a LOT of heat. Any suggestions?????
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 10:53

Plan: WW Lowcarb style
Stats: 280/269.5/250 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi everyone! I am so glad that I started this thread, noone in my family and noone I personally know has AN and so it's nice to know I am not the only one, not that I am happy that so many people have it!! of course not, but at least I feel like I am not a freak!. my patches begun to lighten when I started lowcarbing and I was doing great, but as soon as I fell off the wagon they started to get worse and now they are getting really bad so I know that the lowcarbing can help. I have started to lowcarb again but this time is really difficult for some reason. I just need to stick to it!
good day ladies!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 15:14

Stats: 310/310/185 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Does anyone out there have any before and after pictures of their success with Acanthosis Nigricans through low carbing and weight loss?
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 13:03

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

One of my sisters and I (and possibly another sister... ) have this - when I was younger, Mom would make us scrub till our necks turned bright red and occasionally bled lightly from all the scrubbing. She even tried using rubbing alcohol on our necks.

And although I've been trying to tell her for years that it isn't our faults,we do scrub, etc... she didn't believe me.

UNTIL...

she gets diagnosed with diabetes, the doctor takes one look at my younger sister and say... "That dark patch is probably from insulin resistance. You need to watch her for signs of diabetes."

The next time I went over to visit Mom, she told me to watch myself for diabetes and related the doctor story.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 21:32

Stats: 215/210/180 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:
Progress:

I've had AN since I was about 8. Its mostly around my neck, armpits, and groin. My mom kept telling me to quit being lazy and scrub myself..only I was. As I got older, I've used all kinds of methods to get rid of those ugly "dirt marks", from exfoliators to metal scouring pads to the point of drawing blood. I really don't know what else to use in short of removing the actual skin. I read that its related to obesity and insulin resistance. i wouldn't really consider myself obese, nor has any of my family ever had diabetes. its really frustrating bc i always have to wear my hair down and turtle necks to cover my neck, not to mention NEVER being able to wear those comfy tanktops. Can anyone recommend any Overthecounter drugs to take for it? or does laser surgery help? I'm so glad to have found this site where I have so many people to relate to!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 11:40
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

hi again,

well my last post to this thread was about a year ago. since then i've lost another 20 or so pounds, and i have to say that i was just looking in the mirror this week and thinking that my neck has really lightened a lot. to the extent that i'd almost think of putting my hair up totally - it looks fine around the sides, and only a little bit discoloured right at the back. whereas before i'd only put my hair up a bit at the front and only if i was wearing a necklace etc so that my neck wasn't too visible. only thing i'm doing different is continuing to lose weight, so maybe it really will disappear entirely once i lose all the weight?

bluberr18 - at your height you're right that you're not *that* overweight, but maybe that doesn't really make that much difference with AN? i don't know, i think it's a sign of insulin resistance and you can have insulin resistance early on, before you put on a lot of weight. i know that i've had this discolouration since i was very young and before i put on all that weight.

i don't know. i still hate it, and it's still there. but maybe it will lighten more - or else i'll just have to put up with it. sigh.

deb