Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 08:52

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%

I'm pregnant too! I had no idea there were all these other pregnant LCers here.

I'm doing between 65 - 75 carbs a day (about) but am not really counting every day. I'm just trying to stick with the required foods.

I can't imagine why doing lo-carb would be a problem when trying to conceive. I also eat far better when following this WOE than when doing anything else. A better, well rounded WOE has to be better for the baby.

My baby is due Oct. 28th. Don't know if it's a boy or girl. Really praying for healthy, tho, as I'm a bit older (38 will be 39 when baby is born).

Best of luck to everyone else in here with your lo-carb journeys!

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/180/155
BF:
Progress: 44%

Congratulations on your pregnancy Jeannie!

It's not LCbing I'm worried about, it's ketosis. I've read the articles posted by another member, but they STILL don't tell me WHY a pregnant woman shouldn't be on ketosis... it doesn't list anything on WHY NOT. I'm still in the dark.

Good luck with your delivery... when are you due?
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 13:13

October 28th is the magical date this time around.

I had ketones in my urine on my last dr. visit and he said that wasn't a good thing. I'm not sure what it could do to the baby, but I don't plan to find out. I'm trying to up the carbs enough to make sure that doesn't happen.

My main goal is not to gain 50 lbs again with this pregnancy. I gained so much with my other three and it's just too darned hard to get off. My body just loooovvvvvveeees it's fat cells and refuses to allow them to shrink a bit without putting up a huge fight. What a screwy body I have.

I'm cravy sweets somethin' awful, though and don't know how good I'm going to do in the long run. My kingdom for a tootsie roll!!!

Jeannie
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 15:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

When you are losing weight your body releases Keotenes and other toxins that were stored in fat cells. Normally these toxins are processed through urine, lungs, and natural means. When pregnent or nursing you can pass on these toxins to the child. While there may not of been to many studies done, I would not want to put into my child what my body has already rejected as a toxin. While nursing slow weight loss should be fine because not as much toxins are being released and they may not effect the milk. When a women is pregnent however they suggest you do gain some weight, and even extreamly heavy women they suggest to at least not lose any.

Some weight loss in the first trimester will happen occasionaly due to added caloriec needs (200/day), nausia (sp), and morning sickness. Pregnancy only lasts 9 months and is a special time. If a healthy weight and diet is maintaned during it, weight loss after shouldn't be as hard.

As for TTC, being a healthier weight and following a healthy diet can make it easier to concieve, and means a better start for your child. Women of child bearing years who may end up pregnent should take a multi vitamen with plenty of folic acid.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:29

Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%

Hi Jeanne-
Congrats on your pregnancy! From looking at your stats it looks like you’ve only gained 9 pounds so far….. gee by 5 months in to each of my pregnancies I had gained well over the recommended 35! I would like to become pregnant in the not so distant future so I’m trying to find out everything I can about pregnancy & low carbing - (I've been on Atkins since May). My 2 daughters were huge at birth my oldest was 10.2 lbs and my youngest was 9 (Dr. took 2nd one early). I would still like to have a big healthy baby, but I do not want the extra 80lbs that went with my previous pregnancies. Congrats again!
Saturn
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 14:51
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I've been doing Maintenance but at about 100 g carbs since finding out I was pregnant. I think it's a great way to stay healthy, and my doc approves of it.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 15:47

Default Hi Ladies

I have actually gained 19 lbs at this point, which is far better than I have done in any other pregnancy.

I was hovering at about 155 when I got pregnant. The 166 in my profile was my starting weight before I went on low-carb in the first place.

I am currently at 27 weeks and, just like you, gained a ton in my other pregnancies. Low carbing during pregnancy has been a real life saver and has really, really made a difference in my hunger and cravings.

As a matter of fact, most of the weight I gained, I gained in my first 3 1/2 months when I was NOT low-carbing and I was hungry all the time (just like in my first three pregnancies.) I started doing a modified version of CAD, allowing myself some extra carbs at CM (like apricots, watermellon, cantelope...) and the weight gain came to a screeching halt! I was amazed. I stayed at 170 for almost 6 weeks and then slowly began to put on weight again.

I'm thrilled with how I feel, how I look and the reduced hunger levels.

I wish you good luck. This has certainly worked well for me.

Jeannie
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:37

Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%

Jeannie!
You ARE doing great. That is inspiring to me to know that low-carbing is working so well during your pregnancy! I really want my baby #3, but just so worried about gaining 80 lbs! I ate all the time during my first 2 pregnancies and don't want to do that again, it was really hard on my body. Do you try to hit a certain # of carbs a day, like atiaran? or just stay away from the obvious high carb stuff?
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:13

I'm not aiming at a certain number, but instead am doing CAD with additional fruits or complex carbs at CMeals. This keeps me from going into ketosis (a no-no while pregnant) but keeps me from gaining a ton or weight all at the same time. What a great combination!

I estimate I'm at about 75 carbs a day most days but I don't really count. I know in my head what most foods are, and if I really have no idea, I look them up on fitday.com.

Jeannie
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:01

Stats: 185/180/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:46.1%
Progress: 10%

Oh my!! Was I ever happy to stumble across this thread! I had no idea it was here. It's answered a lot of questions. We are TTC, it's been a year and we finally went in to get a bit of help. Our son will be 6 in a month and I don't know why we are having so much trouble this time around.

It is sooo reassuring to read that weight gain can be kept in check the second time around. I gained nearly 100 pounds with my first one, went from 125 to 225 the day he was born. My weight has been fluctuating around 180 (give or take 10 pounds) ever since. The first time, I had just given up being a vegetarian and then ended up with gestational diabetes. My body was a mess at the end of the pregnancy.

I wish you well! I will be peeking at this site frequently, I am sure!

~Hope~
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:25

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

Glad I found this thread too. I just found out I am pregnant. I have been doing induction level of carbs (sometimes a bit over) since July 31. I got married June 21 and am approx 6 weeks pregnant. So apparently, being on induction doesnt hurt your chances of getting pregnant.

My doc is low carb friendly but warned me about being in ketosis. He said long term exposure to ketones can cause a baby to have neurological defects up to and include brain damage and retardation. (HOLY GOD!)

Since I dont know what my critical carb level is, I am simply going to add 2 fruits a day to my exisiting routine, which should be enough to keep me out of ketosis.

I am glad I started this WOE, because I am eating much better and learned to like veggies much much more, which will help the growing bud in my belly.

Any newly pregnant LC'ers here?
-Lil
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 09:53

Default Baby is here!

Hi friends on this thread.

Wanted you to know I had my baby on October 30th. A healthy, beautiful, BIG girl. She weighed in a 9 lb 7 oz. (my biggest).

I had my most successful pregnancy yet when it came to weight gain. I gained exactly 35 lbs. In my other pregnancies I gained 50+. Considering I'm much older, I know I can contribute my success to the LC regemen I was on much of the pregnancy.

LIL: You may need to add more than 2 fruits a day to keep you out of ketosis. Please be careful about that. Get the ketone strips and test yourself. I had to eat quite a few carbs to keep out of ketosis because you must consider the amount of energy your body is using to create this baby. I ate about 75 carbs a day. This kept me out of ketosis and kept my cravings and weight gain in control.

Best of luck.

Oh, and btw, the weight I did gain is coming off far easier after this pregnancy. I'm already. I've already dropped 23 of the 35 pounds I gained. This never happened in other pregnancies.

Jeannie
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 13:46

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

Thanks Jeannie, I will take your advise. I also added one more veggie for dinner!

I need to make an appointment with a nutritionist
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 02:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Plan
Stats: 247/200/140 Female 5"4
BF:Decreasing Slowing
Progress: 44%

Just stumbled upon this board. Wot a joy to see!

I have just discovered I'm 5 weeks pregnant. I was happily losing weight on Atkins when this little surprise happened. I have kinda abandoned eating anything resembling a normal meal as I'm suffering with really bad all day sickness (I wouldn't exactly call it morning sickness)

The idea of cook or eating a meal fills me with dread. I have been eating dry toast for the last few day, and soup sometimes. I know I need to start eating better, but the way I feel its the very last thing I want to do.

I'm hoping that when the sickness passes (whenever that will be) I can resume with a maintenance eating plan, maybe even adding a few more good carbs. I want to increase my fruit and veg, have more milk and yoghurts, and to stay away from refined sugars and bad carbs. Seems an impossible task at the mo, as I have trouble keepin stuff down.

Trying not to let the sicky feeling get me down, but the thought of feeling like this for the next 5-7 weeks at least is a bit depressing!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 08:34

Congrats on your pregnancy. If the sickness is really bad, be sure to mention it to your doctor. Even call when you don't have a regular appt. to see if there is anyway they can help. Later in the pregnancy you can worry more about keeping carbs low. Right now, worry about trying to get food into your system. Whatever food your body will accept!

Good luck! Feel free to come over and chat in my journal as I've just gone through this and it's fresh in my mind!

Jeannie