Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/134.8/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've noticed the tags at A&P also. It can be confusing. For someone like my so that isn't really following a low-carb lifestyle, at least some of these "lower-carb" items are good substitutes for the regular product, like the lower-carb bread with 6-8 gms carb. per serving. I personally find that count too high and will stick with a much lower-carb product.

One thing that annoyed me recently was my own gulibility. I saw a yummy looking cookbook at the cash register, "low-carb recipies". Had a pic of a triple layer cheesecake on the cover. That was enough to get me to purchase. Triple layer cheesecake that is low-carb, really, how could I not want that recipe! So when I got home and was thumbing through I could not believe the ingredients. REGULAR chocolate chips, and another candy chip, and white flour. They did use splenda instead of sugar, but they still called for high sugar items. I realize that I can modify a recipe to make it lower carb, but I assumed that since the cookbook was advertised as "low-carb" that these adjustments would have been made. In the future I will stick to poking around online for recipes.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 09:56

Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%

there's one thing that we've learned.....we must read labels regardless of what the sign says.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 13:46

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%

[EDIT: I don't think the A&P is guilty of false advertising, it's what they perceive to be low-carb (20 carbs per serving) versus our perceptions.]

Hi -- No doubt you are right; I guess what I resent may be the mainstreaming of the low carb movement. Yes, for someone who eats 300 carbs/day half of that might well be considered "low carb," but it is still a long way away from concientious carb-controlled eating! Cheers, Robert
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 16:40

BF:

something i want to share with my jersey friends, normally salsa has sugar in it right?
well i just discovered that Goya brand chili does not have sugar. I buy the mild one. it'ss bursting with flavor and the cilantro really stands out. i made a recipe last week. I browned up some pork cubes in a pan and then added the jar of salso....covered with lid and simmered for 1/2 an hour. very tasty. easy too. no measuring
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 16:41

BF:

Goya brand SALSA that is....sorry about the typo'
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 21:38

Stats: 277/249/194 Male 74 inches
BF:Was high-now lower
Progress: 34%
Talking Hello from Central Jersey

Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in on the Jersey board!! Relatively new to Jersey (East Windsor - Dec2002) but love the state. Super Fresh in EW is also doing the LC thing. I agree that nothing will replace label reading for living truly low carb.

NJ is also home to a maker of a fantastic LC cheesecake. Only 2.6 gms/3.5 oz slice!! Check it out at www.cheesecakealy.com.

Anyway - Keep up the good work everyone and happy LCing!!!

Regards,
D.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 16:22
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:

HERRS salsa or something like that has no sugar in it. 1g carbs per TBSP

My shoprite barely has any LC items.

They have a small section with sugar free/atkins stuff.
They have shakes (premade) the bake mix, one or 2 of the sauces/syrups and one or 2 flavors of atkins advantage/endulge bars

Then they have some sugar free cookies (higher carb, real flour etc.) and another type of sugar free chocolate bar and thats it.

I saw the carbsmart Ice cream there once and I didnt get it. Never again have I seen it there and it was only in one flavor.

They dont even have the sugar free hersheys :-(

Lots of slim fast though lol

Ive requested more LC items but they just dont seem to carry them so I end up getting them when I go to westchester or order them online.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 16:32
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Oooh I just checked out that cheesecake site and they look yummy. Maybe I will buy one for thanksgiving instead of baking a LC pecan pie.

Glen rock is right near me too!

Have you tried these cheesecakes, do you know if there are sugar alcohols or flour in it?

MJ
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 18:59

Stats: 277/249/194 Male 74 inches
BF:Was high-now lower

Hey MJ,

I just ate a piece and here is the breakdown:

Ingredients: cream cheese, heavy cream, eggs, cocoa, maltitol, natural vanilla and lemon juice.

Pretty pure and excellent taste!!

Happy cheesecake!!

D.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 11:35
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

sounds good!

Not sure of the maltitol but I will try it.

I went to Harolds Farm (up the street from me) because they carry them supposedly but they were out, so I got some broccoli and I am making cornish game hens with roasted broccoli instead.

I will look for the LC cakes next week.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 16:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/180/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default hi new jersey!!!

Hi everyone, I am new to the low carb diet. I am in haledon. Anyone know of a store with a good variety of low carb products?

Regina
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 17:48

Stats: 250/225/195 Male 5 feet, 11 incehes
BF:
Progress:
Default lc in JERSEY!!

I hope im not to late to post in this area. ive been on a low carb diet for a couple of months now and i'm just about to finish school and move back home to north jersey. i c u guys found cheesecake aly. the only bad thing about getting it from their webpage is that you have to buy in large amounts. and it comes frozen. my mm found a place by us in westwood, its called lean on me, i think theres more to the name but they sell it fresh and in indiviual sizes and large sizes, she always brings me some when i see her. i just found there web site its callelean on me in westwood im pretty sure you can order from there.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 21:38
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I just hate that cheesecake ally uses maltitol :-(
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 08:17

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi fellow Jerseyites!! I know I am pulling up an old thread but I was wondering how all of you have been doing with your WOL. Have you guys reached your goal?? Are you still LCing? I live in the Wall Township area of NJ and have just started low carbing on 1/1/05. I would love to hear how everyone is doing.

Patty
  #45   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 09:26

Stats: 239/245/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: -7%

I live in PA now but I am right across from Burlington, NJ. I was born in Somers Point, lived in Green Creek, went to school in the Villas, and then moved West, then back here to Philly, then to NE, then to Florida, then back to Philly then to Pitt, and now back in Philly area and thinking of moving West... Anywho, Just wanted to say hello