Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 19:35

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default I totally agree

I did the low fat thing..
Oh yeah.. with TONS of running.. I got very thin.. but I couldn't keep up that level of food forever.
nor that level of activity.
And what is more I am now ANGRY since I get the science of it.. that "they" kept telling me it would work.. all I needed was discipline..
Well you can run and not eat all you want.. but someday it catches up with you..and because you have screwed up your hormonal balance....its worse than ever.
But hey..
I am with you ladies..
This is much slower for me.. but I feel good. I eat all the veggies I used to..
and I do without PASTA, BREAD, TONS Of POTATOES.. FAST FOOD.
So what threatens anyone that we CHOOSE to live without eating these things??
I keep asking that. ..and you never give an answer! ( and by you I mean all the silly people who come uneduated about this to tell us what to do!)
Poofie!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 19:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: I totally agree

Quote:
Originally posted by PoofieD
So what threatens anyone that we CHOOSE to live without eating these things??

Easy. Those that profit from producing those things. There is a HUGE food industry built around the low-fat dogma. If people stop following low fat and start following low carb in significant numbers, profits will fall and the stockholders will not be happy campers. Many people would stand to lose a lot of money.
Another category of people who could potentially feel threatened by how we eat is the pharmaceutical companies who produce cholesterol-lowering drugs, antihypertensives and oral antidiabetic drugs which there would be a much lower need for if those who took them started low carbing and found that they no longer needed them. There is BIG money in these types of drugs. If you don't believe me, check how much a 30 day supply for Glucophage or Altace costs or Lipitor for that matter. What do you think would happen if more than 50% of the people who took them (many of them with the prospect of needing them for the rest of their lives) suddenly found that simply cutting the carbs down eliminated their need for them?
I'd say these companies have reason to be nervous and get behind the low-fat camp. That's where their bread and butter (er low fat spread) is coming from!

Last edited by Lisa N : Thu, Dec-05-02 at 20:04.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 01:20
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I get what you're saying LisaN but I agree with Poofie. Why is it all these various individuals feel the need to bash this WOE. Surely not all of them are in the pay of the LF food or pharmeceutical companies.
What difference does it make to anybody else what I eat?

It's like people have finally almost gotten the hang of respecting different religions, so dietary evangelism has moved in to fill the void or something.

If people are happy and healthy with their WOE, why should anybody else care?

It's bonkers
amie
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 07:22

Default Well amie

They really haven't gotten the idea of respecting different religions.. .. you can trust me on that one!
So tolerance for food choices is going to threaten them.. trust me.
The part that makes you go hmmm....
Is that haven't they ever realized that folks in the past never worried about the fat content of their food????
That we weren't dropping dead of heart attacks until carbs became the basis for life??
That the egyptians and persians and Romans may very well have been done in by their high carb lifestyle?? :-)
Oh well.. .
Poofie!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/177/168
BF:
Progress: 25%

Lots of action on this thread lately huh? I'm glad I sparked some life into you people.

It seems to me that you all wax poetic about things like insulin and glycemic this or that and bla bla bla. Unless you're a biologist or a chemist you don't really KNOW anything about what you are tlkaing about, and are simply regurgitating the text you've read from diet guru's who are out to make a buck off your big behinds (this comment is affectionately aimed at Baconbabe - yuck what a Godawful name). Your big behinds got big not from eating fruit and grain, as you so claim, but from doing nothing for months upon months while stuffing your faces with crap. Come on, you're not going to get anywhere until you fess up and stop trying to justify whatever the hell works for you.

Are you telling me that if Atkins never came a long, yo uwould not be able to lose weight? Please. You are lazy, salad-dodging sloths who will follow any leader who promises minimum activity for weight loss. And of course, once you follow a plan you need to dedicate yourself to it otherwise it just becomes a lie. So you end up believing your own little lie to make it work. It's a sickness, really. The same way it was a sickness that made you obese.

So just because you found something that acts as an accelerator for your weight loss needs, don't go around jumping on sensible people's heads (people who have eaten fruit and carbs and low fat their whole lives and never got fat cuz they didn't sit around watching Young and the Restless every day) to justify your bad eating habits. I'm not even going to get into the moral questions and unnecessary slaughter of millions extra living animals just to satisfy your voracious appetites.

Do what you need to do to get your behinds down to normal size. But don't go criticizing smart people who know better and are just trying to help you not die of a coronary in 5 years, or of liver or kidney failure.

I don't appreciated being called a moron, and idiot, and ignorant when I have good intentions and your health in mind. It seems there is a large amount of jealousy on this board because I'm lean and I eat what I want. "Don't hate me becasue i'm beautiful."

I just want you all to know that Atkins could very well be the latest carnation of Satan and you have all become his little minions, spewing about how great he is while he takes your dollars and pays for his bypasses the diet causes him.

I ca't believe someone on this board actually laughed at the AHA, and called them ridiculous or something like that. WAKE UP! They know more than Dr. Atkins.

Someone on this board said that fruit made them fat. Give me a break. How often were you onthe couch watching Magnum PI with a bowl of apples instead of butter-soaked popcorn, chips and ice cream? You really believe that just becasue someone tells you something made you fat, it must have? Were you minitoring your intake of food when you got fat? No, obviously not. SO what qualifies you to say fruit did it? That is the most stupid, uneducated and blatantly ignorant thing I have ever heard, other than people being abducted by aliens. But then....I'm sure a lot of you probably were right?
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Toner, you seem determined to persist with your inflammatory behaviour, and personal attacks, despite previous warnings. The consequence for repeatedly violating the Registration agreement has been clearly spelled out, and so your account has been suspended.

Note to readers: the "no flames" rule applies to all members. Please refrain from engaging in similar behaviour as Toner.

Doreen
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:23

Default A biochemist??

Nah.. it doesn't. Its really pretty easy science.
Insulin is your fat storing hormone.
What makes insulin make an appearance??? Fat?? nope... your body looks at the dietary fats you take in and says.. "Oh..I have these cells to repair or this to do with this fat". Protien.. oh. it can.. if you eat to much ( a tough feat really!) but mostly looks at it and says.. opps.. got these cells to repair.
It looks at the carbs.. SUGAR.. and says.. OPPS.. send in the troups. I don't need this.. they eat TOO MANY CARBS for WHAT I NEED TO DO.. and book.. THAT is how you get your body fat.

Obviously you can't eat what you want. Your terrified of eating something your body needs.
Nobody on this board is eating the junk food of doritos, cheetos.. chips. cookies.. ect.
WE don't eat junk. WE are not sloths. MANY of us are doing workouts that would kick your butt..
Want to come join me on a morning of heavy weight firms, walking and Tae bo??
Sloth?
Since I came to understand WHAT my body was up to.. I look on the streets. .ITS heavy people OUT WALKING!
Trying to get a handle on this.
Folks like you give them totally incorrect information.
I wish you coudl tell me.. but WHAT actually BOTHERS you about the Atkins diet?? That the man is right?? That "they" are wrong and you want to be "They"??
Once I stopped running 9 miles a day to keep skinny on the low fat diet I had screwed up my system enough that YUP.. just like doreen said.. I blossomed ON SKIM MILK, FAT FREE refried bean.. pasta with no fat..
Ect..
Can't live that diet forever. Man was NOT meant to live by bread alone..
I feel good now. As I said..I am up at 5 in the morning doing a work out that would burn your butt..
But hey.. IF that is a SLOTH..then count me in the club..
and don't let the door hit you on your way out!
Poofie1
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:32
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Doreen -

Thanks Doreen,

that toner guy seemed to be deriving a great deal of enjoyment, feeding his ego by trashing others. (I hope that statement wasn't too inflammatory!)

Man, I can't believe the blind persistence in perpetuating the lies about LC - "salad-dodging" indeed!!! LOLOLOL

I sometimes even eat salad at breakfast!

amie
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:37

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Toner,

And here I was beginning to enjoy our little debate and you had to go blow it.

I thought that someone of your obvious educated background would be able to listen to the stories, facts and proofs pointed towards you and at the very least be able to accept other people's decisions and opinions as being the best for them. (That's the thing about both opinions and decisions, they are personal and right only for that individual.)

Obviously, however, you have no respect for the opinions, reseach, and decisions made of others, no matter how much work has gone into each. As such, I have no more respect for you and will consider this my last post here.

Good day, sir. And good luck on your journey to your "quick fix "before your Hockey season, for your obviously thin self. If you should ever love someone who actually has to struggle with their weight, their cholestorol, their blood sugar (etc) and you have to watch their minute to minute and day to day battle, feel free to come back to this forum and we will try our best to help you re-educate yourself, as we have all come to do.

An OPEN mind is a terrible thing to waste.

~Kate

Last edited by mnokat : Fri, Dec-06-02 at 09:38.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:39

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Toner
. I'm not even going to get into the moral questions and unnecessary slaughter of millions extra living animals just to satisfy your voracious appetites.

I think this comment speaks volumes more than anything else he tried to stand up for.

For the record, I have yet to see a professional writer feel the need to hurl insults at a general population because they were inarticulate enough to come up with better phrases.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:42

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Nuts keep me satisfied

But not only does the nuts keep me from feeling deprived of chocolate it has helped make me regular as well. But I'm still going to eat a salad but w/o the croutons. That's where I get most of my veggies at.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:44

Default Salad at breakfast!

Its been fun finding ways to add MORE veggies to breakfast.
I have eaten the salad for breakfast.. LOL, right along with the eggs.
I have to keep zuchinni, tomatoes, sprouts, and fresh mushrooms on hand just to have these yummy items for breakfast.
Then there is my all time favorite recipe.. the one from suzzanne somer.. where you fried those thin onion rings till crispy..and serve your eggs on those.. pure veggie heaven.
I have had two veggie servings by this time of the morning and have no less than three I am taking to work.
I will have at least 2 more when I get home from work
But ..I guess that qualifies for salad dodging..
I guess he couldn't quite face the fact that he is part of the food chain.. yup.. his body screams for things he is going to starve it for.
The hockey season won't happen. He doesn't have the means to repair himself.. too bad.. so sad!
Poofie
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 10:24
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

The anti-lowcarb arguments here are not new; they've been done before ... and are getting weaker and weaker as time goes on. A year and a half ago, someone posted an article from a national newspaper, slamming lowcarb (you can read it here) .. This was my reply, and I think it's just as applicable here:
Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T

--- Start of rant ---

100 years ago, a scientist went public with his discoveries, and was greeted with mockery and derision by his peers. He was forced to give up his prestigious job with his university; he became the laughing-stock of his day. He ultimately abandoned his homeland in shame, and poverty, never to return again. The man's name was Albert Einstein, and without his theory of relativity, the NASA space program would never have gotten off the ground.

We see with our own eyes that lowcarbohydrate eating programs are helping people lose weight, improve health, correct blood chemistry and prevent disease. We read testimony upon testimony from folks around the world whose lives are changed for the better by NOT eating the way the popular media tells us to. Yet the minute the media publishes a story, funded by who knows?? we abandon our belief, because .... because .... why? The media is all powerful, and all-knowing?? Remember this is the same media that kept silent for over a decade about the fact that cholesterol in your food has little effect on the cholesterol in your blood. Scientists knew this all along, and studies were published in the medical and scientific journals to this fact ... but were never circulated to the public ... because TOO MUCH MONEY was being made from the myth --- who cared if egg sales dropped off, when bigger profits could be made from sales of "cholesterol-free" potato chips, cookies and frozen, chemicalized egg-substitutes?

Lowcarb eating is a financial THREAT to the corporate well-being of grain-foods processors and sugar refiners. (meanwhile, the farmers aren't getting rich) You bet there's financial influence behind articles such as this one, and it ain't a result of an interest in our collective health.

--- End of rant ---
The tide is turning, whether the lowfat luddites acknowledge it or not.

Doreen
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 10:39

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Fantastic post Doreen I just have to laugh at all the nay sayers out there that don't know what they are talking about..I dont let them bother me..I know for a fact that i have never been healthier..i have no more pain..i sleep through the night..i eat more veggies then i ever have..i drink more water then i ever have..i exercise regularily..no migraines...so on and so on..i could go on forever..

Bottom line is lc makes sense..eating all natural foods from the earth..how could some comprehend that low fat 'products' can be good for you? They are made by a machine and all full of chemicals...no thanks..I'll stick to cream/cheese/eggs/veggies/fruit & meat that comes from the land..like it was supposed to be!

Best thing we can do is continue on as we are doing..succeed..and prove the world wrong..I've already done that..and will continue to do so!!
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 10:50
Forum Founder

BF:

Admin. note - for some reason, there was a blank message showing as the last post ... so I'm just posting a reply to avoid any confusion.

Doreen

[ edit: problem resolved ]