Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%

How about if I ship some out to you?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 16:55

Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%

I have ribs in the oven-- and I am about an hour until they are done. I've just started the sauce, with a few modifications. This time:

1 stick of butter
4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 tbsp. worcestshire
salt
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
2 tsp. liquid smoke
2 pkts splenda

I melted the butter first, then let the garlic brown. Then, I added the vinegar and worked my way down the list of ingredients.

I just tasted it, and its got a fuller flavor than the first go round. I may reduce the amount of vinegar next time- and I still may add another packet of Slenda to this one (I think it may cut back the tang from the vinegar).

I am about to baste it on the ribs for their last 30 minutes in the oven.

The smells in here... I can't even begin to tell you how amazing. I can smell the ribs baking- and the sauce boiling... and my imagination just puts them both together and my mouth starts to water!

(ps, can you tell that I love this thread?!)
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 12:20

Plan: ?
Stats: 178/174/140
BF:
Progress: 11%
Lightbulb tender ribs

Hey! guys,,, my thoughts on tried and true ribs... I've done.

Lrg, Pot with wire rack, if no rack,, have husband get a 4 pieces of nice clean wood ,, hickory ettc.. for legs and put under cake rack.. add water with liquid smoke and whole garlic...etc.. bay leaves..any spice you like...

Season ribs with salt and pepper to taste...steam will add flavor..I use baby back ribs.....

then making my own BBq with liquid smoke and a good steak sauce... rub on ribs after they look like meat is pulling away from bone and grill out doors until seared and wonderful... works for me... good luck..
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 13:52
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

The best way by far that I have found is in the crockpot on low for about 4 - 5 hours. I add hickory smoke, 1/4 cup dissolved salt, garlic and anything else I feel like adding (ie. rosemary, bay leaves, peppercorns, etc). When done, I throw them on the BBQ to crisp.

For anyone following Schwarzbein (no artifical sweeteners), I found this fabulous BBQ sauce in her cookbook.

Makes 4 servings: 57 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate

Barbecued Spareribs:

2 T pure-pressed virgin olive oil
1/2 c chopped onion
4 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup tomato paste **
1 c water
1/4 c red wine vinegar
2 T dijon mustard
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
dash cayenne pepper

3 pounds baby back ribs

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and water and mix well. Add vinegar, mustard, celery seeds, thyme, chili powder, lemon juice, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasonings.

Brush sauce over ribs. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or, preferably, overnight.

Prepare barbecue or preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Barbecue over hot coals or roast on a greased rack with a tinfoil-lined baking sheet underneath. Cook until tender, basting and turning frequently, until cooked to your liking, about 15 to 20 minutes.

** I also used unsweetened ketchup in place of the tomato paste and water when I ran out of tomato paste in the past. It was really nice if you prefer less tomato taste.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 00:40

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

Fellow Aussie here Lucy!!

I've never seen the stuff - I did a search on google and got:

http://www.tecnica.com.au/Smoke.html
http://cwpp.slq.qld.gov.au/vvsq/res...ails.asp?ID=263

So it is available in the good old Oz
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:59

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

Steph,

Your a Godsend!! My mouth is watering right now. I am a die hard BBQ sauce fan and of course they all contain alot of sugar!!

I also tried the Walden Farms BBQ sauces, and had no idea there was cabbage in them, but still did not like them very much.

I can't wait for summer grilling. I am going to use it all summer!! THANK YOU!!
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 01:13

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Ok I read this thread and don't see the answers to my questions I'm about to ask. But I have taken sleeping pills so I hope I didn't skip over them. Is boiling to tenderize? Ok the other question has left me so when I remember I will return.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 07:28

Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi Loveable LC,

I've been making "ribs to die for " for years. In my opinion, the term "boiling" should never even be used in conjuction with the word "ribs". Technically, boiling will tenderize and add moisture them but you will end up with boiled tasting ribs.

I have not made them since I started LCing but if you brine them with about 1/2 cup Kosher salt in 3 quarts of water for 1 hour ( the original brine calls for 3/4 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar)
the brining seasons the meat and helps hold in the juices. The rule of thumb is that pork needs to be cooked long and slow, at about 200 - 250 degrees for 4-8 hours depending on how many pounds you are cooking. I usuallly do them on a grill which adds the smokey flavor. But it's the middle of winter here in NH right now and after reading all of this I might try making them in the oven today!
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 20:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%
Thumbs up

After reading this entire thread I was so hungry I went out and bought 4lbs of pork ribs and all the ingredients to make the simple BBQ sauce and the Tangy BBQ sauce. It's all your fault!
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 20:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%

I didn't finish....

I couldn't decide on which method of preparation to try...so I tried both! I cooked 2 lbs in the 500 degree oven turned down to 275, and I also boiled the ribs w/ vinegar and then broiled.

As far as the sauces go, I have to say that the simple BBQ sauce is the closest tasting thing to real BBQ I have tasted yet. The Tangy sauce wasn't BAD...but it wasn't great...to TANGY for me!!
My husband and I decided that the ribs which were NOT boiled were hands down winners!! They just had more flavor than the boiled ribs...

I am so stuffed...could not stop...I felt like I was CHEATING!!!

thanx
bebe
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 23:01

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I think I boiled the flavor right out, and I think I bought the wrong meat. The ribs were too thick. I wanted ones like you see on the applebee's commercial. Anyone know what the name for that cut is?
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 07:40

Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi again Loveable LC

The ones in the Applebee's commercial are Baby Back Ribs - they come from smaller, younger pigs as opposed to Pork Ribs which are larger and come from larger pigs. Country style ribs have significantly more meat and are a diffferent cut. Baby Backs tend to be more expensive than Pork ribs.

I forgot to mention that a lot of companies now inject the pork with a salt solution to help insure a moister end result. This serves the same purpose as brining. Check the packaging and don't brine them if they have been injected.

I made some too! I tried to doctor my BBQ sauce using tomato paste instead of ketchup and Splenda instead of brown sugar. I came out pretty good but it needs some work before I post it. My kids couldn't tell the difference and they are pretty discerning. I think I'll try it with a differnt brand of tomato paste next time or some LC ketchup if I can find some around here.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 09:52
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

WOOHOO! I just found country style ribs on sale buy1 get 1 free at WinnDixie and came here to find how to cook them! Making them for dinner for me and my mom who is doing LC with me.

My dad will have to find his own dinner since he ISN'T LC!
  #59   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 09:26

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

Boil ribs in pot with onions, for 15 minutes on high,, then put in dish in oven and baste with sause. cook at 375 45 minutes or so c covered, removed lid and cook for 15 more and turn on broiler.
These are always faLL OFF THE BONBE TENDER,

These are especially good with moch honey garlic sause,
  #60   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 18:48
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Hello: I live in North Carolina, where the war between which barbecue sauce and what kind of pork to use is a much more serious rivalry at this point than the war between the states! Making it abundantly clear that everyone has different taste buds (often dictacted by what we grew up with). Even within this one little state. I am of the no tomato sauce persuasion myself, but sometimes have used that as a sauce base. It's not awful.

But it seems to me that a lot of recipes on this thread are over complicating things. If you buy regular pork ribs, it helps to boil them (I just use plain ole water, silly me) to get rid of some of the fat and that ugly residue. If you can afford, or find them on sale, buy baby back ribs which have far less fat, and I see no need to boil them ahead of time. (I'm not trying to get rid of fat, per se, but the larger ones end up rather unpleasantly greasy, even for a fat lover like myself, if not parboiled.) I would never boil them for a whole hour, just 20 minutes or so at the very most.

Then use whatever you like to marinate them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (depending on how desperate you are for ribs) or preferably overnight. I happen to like a marinade leaning toward the vinegary side. (eastern north carolina style) But I have at times in the past marinated them just in some sort of cheap dry red wine and they were fine things!) The marinade tenderizes them.

Then figure out a low carb barbecue sauce of your own choosing .....I prefer not to get into an argument here.....the ones I have seen posted all sound reasonable.....though I certainly would go for the simplest. Make sure all the marinated ribs are covered by it (not immersed) and put them in a large lasagna type pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil. If they weren't parboiled, cook for about an hour at low heat (around 300 degrees). If parboiled, do this for only about 20 minutes.

Remove aluminum foil and broil until they start bubbling and crisping up a bit. Or if grilling outdoors, stick them on the grill. You could probably skip the aluminum foil bit if your grill is the kind with a top. Heck, if you choose a good enough marinade, you can even skip the adding the barbecue sauce stage.

I think marinating them is the key. Plus I don't think they are supposed to "fall off the bone" on their own. YUCK. They are supposed to be both juicy and crispy and easy to pull off the bone with your teeth. But again, everyone has their own taste preferences. However, good ribs are never eaten with a knife and fork. Finger eating is half the pleasure.

PS: to whomever said they wouldn't fit in one pan, I suggest using two pans. They need to be a single layer.

Kay