Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 06:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Brimnerda,

No, it's three different methods of cooking ribs, from Penelope, from Locarbjo and from Dwrolfe.

Penelope puts the oven to 500 degrees for 20 minutes before putting the ribs in (so it gets real hot), then put the ribs in and immediately turn the oven down to 275 and cook the ribs
for 2 and a half to 3 hours.

Locarbjo boils the ribs for about 45 minutes with spices and then puts the ribs under the broiler for 5-10 minutes per side.

Dwrolfe boils the ribs in 4 quarts or so of water and one cup of vinegar plus salt and then cooks them on the BBQ that day or the next day.

I see you're new to LC. You're going to love this way of eating.

judy

Last edited by jude : Wed, Nov-27-02 at 07:03.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 07:03

Plan: none yet
Stats: 250/250/180
BF:ALOT!!!
Progress: 0%

Thanks Jude...I caught the other two stipulating that they needed to boil the ribs...but I wasn't sure about Penelopes ribs. Thanks...I won't boil. I can't wait for dinner (its 8 hours away)
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 21:29

Plan: none yet
Stats: 250/250/180
BF:ALOT!!!
Progress: 0%

Just wanted to say that they were great!!! My hubby loved them too.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 16:22

Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%

I am sending the grocery bill to ALL OF YOU (you can split it up, it won't be so bad!) because NOW... after already doing my shopping for the week... NOW I am craving ribs ala Penelope and I HAVE TO HAVE THEM.

#20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 19:56

BF:

You won't be sorry, Steph ! I've made them twice this week.

I've got another question for anyone here who has a food scale (I don't yet). Do you know, ball park, what percentage of the ribs are bones? I'm having a heck of a time figuring out the calories for a strip of ribs. Fitday just says so many oz's after bones removed.

judy
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 16:15

Ok, what do ya'll cook your ribs <i>in</i>?? I've got a glas baking dish here... 9x13... and would you believe that the ribs won't even fit in it?!

I bought country style pork ribs... they are seperated into individual ribs (bone in) and I got 12! I can only fit 6 in the dish!

I'm CRAZY! (and its all YOUR fault!)
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 05:53

Stats: 215/176/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
A friend of mine taught me how to prep ribs that kill...

...boil them in a large pot (4 quarts water or so) with 1 cup vinegar and salt. I usually boil them about 45 minutes to an hour. Then I either slap them on the grill or refrigerate and slap them on the following day.

They meat will fall off the bones and you can slather sauce on for your friends and family. I eat mine dry.

Excellent!!

Thank You Donald!!

They were wonderful!!!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 19:30

Yes, I never posted and said that THEY WERE WONDERFUL!!

What we need in this thread are some receipes for BBQ sauce. I found one on the site and modified it a bit - and it was OK... not too bad! but anyhow... I think we should post everything needed for low-carb delicious-fall-off-the-bone-ribs in one place!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 17:23
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Best ribs

Hey Y'all,
I haven't posted here in ages.... super busy with everything but I had to pop in about the rib question. My daughter has a good friend who is a chef and here's what he taught her.
Take your rack of ribs and place them on heavy duty tin foil with about 1/2 cup water at the bottom. Rub generously with your favorite rub. Add a few drops liquid smoke to the water in the bottom, and seal tightly. Bake at 200 degrees for 8-10 hours. They were unbelievably good!!! I'll never do them any other way.

Hope this helps,
Julee
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 17:36

Stats: 175/161/155
BF:
Progress: 70%

Cooking ribs in an oven bag (Reynolds) works great.

You are essentially steaming the ribs in the bag, I have heard that cooking at that temperature allows the protein structures to break down differently than at higher temps.

It's a very forgiving method - you can go +/- 30 mins and still have a very edible meal. Easy to clean up as well.

It renders out the fat well and allows whatever spices you use to permeate the meat.

Kind of like accellerated crock pot cooking.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 18:00

BF:

Looks like my original question has been answered--and then some! Thanks everyone!

Actually, I wish I was having ribs for Christmas dinner instead of turkey -- without dressing (stuffing) or gravy. Oh well, maybe next year.

Now, to keep everything in the same thread as Steph mentioned, does anyone have a favorite rub or sauce?

judy
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 11:39
Registered Member

Stats: 166/152/120
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Best Ribs Ever

I scanned this thread and didn't see this recipe anywhere. Excuse me if it's already been mentioned...This method is SO EASY and I actually get cravings for these ribs. I just had them last night and made 2 racks instead of 1, just so the next time that happens, I just have to thaw out the one I didn't eat! They're from one of Suzanne Somers books:

Pork Ribs (that's what I use anyway)
Pour on the olive oil... lots
Chop up a bunch of garlic and scatter over the ribs
Chop a bunch of fresh rosemary all over them as well
Lots of salt & pepper
Turn
Do the same on the other side (I usually wait till I turn them over for the first time to do that, though.)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Put ribs in
Bake for 15 minutes
Turn, scraping up any of the oil mixture, including the garlic (which gets nice and crispy) in the pan
Put the timer on for another 15 minutes
Continue with this method for a total of 1 hour cooking time
The ribs turn out nice and crispy but tender.
Yum!

I cook them in the bottom of the broiler pan as it's deep enough to hold the ribs and prevents the oil from dripping into the bottom of the oven.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 15:29

I am going to do some looking for a good, simple, homemade bbq sauce. Low Carb, of course!!! I will post here... so lets keep this thread active!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%

On BBQ sauces, I heard Atkins has a new one that is really good. I like the Walden Farms BBQ sauce okay, but it's really more like a steak sauce.

Happy Holidays....
Julee
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 19:10

I haven't been able to like the Walden Farms ones... we have 3 here. Regular... Thick n Spicy... and then (let me check...) and Hickory Smoke.

I think we kinda ruined it for ourselves when we read the ingredients and saw Cabbage. For some reason- I can't eat the BBQ sauce without thinking I am eating/tasting cabbage. I'm such a nut. So- now we hardly eat it anymore because we think they are gross! ACK!

When I made the ribs, I made my own sauce... I used Hunts no sugar added Tomato Sauce, then added some other things... like mustard powder, paprika, pepper, salt... I also added a tablespoon of our VERY favorite bbq sauce (like 20,000 carbs per serving) in hopes that it would change the flavor a bit. I could have sworn we bought liquid smoke- but I haven't seen it since the check out register! I also added rum, instead of brandy! YIKES! It was a concoction for sure. I am surprised that we ate it... it wasn't that bad. DIFFERENT, that's for sure.

So... this is why my "quest" for a decent lc bbq sauce! Now you know!