Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Smile Good Morning~Some Words on Positive thoughts~

Hey all of you ppl who have come over to check out this thread~ firstly, we are happy that you have decided to give it a look-see... Now what are you going to do with what you have seen? We can't "make" you practice anything you have seen here. We can only testify what it has done in our lives, and in the lives of others. We can smile and be happy as we see the power of affirmations and visualizations working for others, as they discover that there is actually power in them... there have been books wrote about this for many many years. Norman Vincent Peale's book, The Power of Positive Thinking is actually using the power of thought. I know there are many who do not think this is "Christian". Wasn't it Christ who said, " As one thinks in his heart, so is he?" and it is said that it is with the heart that comes our thoughts, and it is "out of the mouth that the heart speaks". Some years ago, there was this guy who was going out with a friend of mine, they still see each other off and on. He had and still has the filthiest mouth on him, and it is worse when he is drinking. I tried to avoid him when he was like that, but one day it was necessary to go by his house to get my friend. Tom started his usual tirade of filth, even making fun of the cross around my neck, and then commenting on my body... I looked at him, and said, "You know in the Bible it says out of the mouth, the heart speaks, and I sure would hate to see your heart from the filth that comes out of your mouth." He was speechless... never had I seen him without anything to say, and even in his state of intoxication, did he realize the truth of what I had said.Do some observing... watch how ppl talk, and yourself as well. Listen to how many times ppl say things like "My ________(fill in the blank) is KILLING me, or I would give my left arm(or whatever body part) to own something like that,or "when I am old,they will have to take care of me... just a few examples...before you say something... try to keep it in a positive light... is it easy? You will find out just how often negative things are spoken, and I will let you in on a secret... as you become MORE aware of how speaking positive affects things for the good, you will become more and more vigilant as to how others speak... things like, oh I will never lose this weight, we never have enough money to do what we want, we ALWAYS do this or that... or whatever it is... NOTE how it is being said... turn it around! SPEAK POSITIVE!! I can "hear" many of you saying, you just don't know how it is for me... how can I say something that is not so? Even in the Bible, it says that one must have faith... and what is faith? "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for,for the conviction of things not seen."Hebrews 11:1, what does this say... Faith is BELIEVING that one will get what they ASK FOR, and BELIEVING it WILL come about, EVEN WHEN IT IS NOT SEEN WITH THE EYES! If something is not seen... then it is believed... and what is a belief? It is a THOUGHT!.... and this morning, that is where my thoughts are... maybe it doesn't mean anything to some,... but I think for some... it is what needs to be heard... the *aha factor*... the Oh I get it now factor... and that, is my two cents worth~
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 11:52

Plan: Herbalife
Stats: 150/146/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Visualize to a Smaller Size

I am SO new to this. I like your idea of using meditation to prepare yourself to control eating habits during your day. It makes sense to me. However, I have never meditated and will need all the info I can get to get myself started. I have copied some techiniques from this thread. Thanks for the help.
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 13:42

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%

I'm in
I agree that actions speak louder than words, but when you are so full of self doubt and negativity, that can often make actions impossible.
My affermations:

I LOVE MYSELF!
I AM BEAUTIFUL at any size (and I look in the mirror and really believe it!)

I really enjoy looking at my body in the mirror...I sometimes get a little down about the fact that I have cellulite...but I am really enjoying watching my body change into something amazing. I am already the smallest I have ever been since I was about 13 years old...I have always been a big girl.

Is it okay to spend my time on the cardio machine, using that as my positive thinking time? I love to crank up the tunes, I even lip sync to them, even though the people around me probably think I am a freak Is that okay, or should I set aside some really quiet time...I'm not much into sitting still and meditating, my mind tends to wander....I know it will improve with practice but I guess I prefer to be more bouncy and happy when I am giving myself affermations. Please let me know what you think! hugs
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 14:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%
Default Hi Marie.

I've been doing some positive thinking as I am going to sleep at night, & also some random times throughout the day. I also do positive thinking during exercise, since exercise always makes me feel positive about myself anyways. The "mantras" I've been using so far have been: "I am lean, I am healthy, I am strong. I am 165 lbs, I am a size 10." I usually do these before bed, in the shower, sitting at work, or anytime I find myself with a free moment. Just find out when works best for you.
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 14:09

AWESOME! Then I am on the right track.
I find that when I have a crappy day, if I force myself to go to the gym, I always feel at least somewhat better mentally than I did before I started!
The endorphines and adrenaline rush might be the cause, also I know that I am doing something good for myself, and that is a GREAT feeling!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 13:24

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Thumbs up

Marie... you can do your affirmations and visualize at any time. The more the better. If you need quiet time you can add meditation.

The one thing I truly believe is that affirmations work much faster and more effectively when you are passionate about them. If you feel energized and passionate while on the cardio machine, by all means, do it.

By the way, I have to agree... it's really hard to not feel like you are making a difference while you are exercising.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 23:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default HAPPY HAPPY!

I'm glad someone else mentioned that it doesn't matter where you are to do your "affirmations". I was standing in the pantry last night and, being one day 2 of induction all over again trying to flush my system after my binge last week, I was fighting the cravings so bad I could have BURST! I don't know how in the world I had the presence of mind to think to do it, but I must have stood there for 20 minutes, first thinking, if you want it that bad, eat 2 eggs first, then, if you really want it still, you can have it. Then I thought I don't want the eggs- just the chocolate! HA! So, I started telling myself right there in the food closet "I MAKE HEALTHY FOOD CHOICES...I AM HEALTHY AND I LOVE LOW CARBING", over and over and over again until, well, I got bored and I gave up on the sweets! It was a battle til the end though.

I'm so glad I fought the cravings with the affirmations. I woke up this morning 1 pound down! YESSS!

Does anyone do yoga? I have a Yoga for Weight Loss tape (from Walmart) that is really good. EASY- no standing on your head! But a work out too. And it lands you at the end in a meditation state (relaxation pose). I like it because the gals on there aren't all skinnies! Plus, it always works out my back pain for me!

WE ARE HAVING A GREAT WEEK! (-see, positive affirmation! )
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 23:30

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 23:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default THANK YOU!

Marie, I have to say, I was so MAD before I started my chant. It's hard to believe, but I was just angry that I was having such horrible cravings. -Kind of like my toddler standing in there pointing to the top shelf for his plastic "pumpkin" that holds his Halloween candy! - Just after I told him "no more", ooo, you should see the fit sometimes!
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 05:52

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

lol, everyones doing so well !

I have difficulty visualising my self as slim. But I can imagine the words and they are powerful to me ( if that makes sense to anyone lol)

So. I choose my affirmation " I Am a Healthy and Slim 10 stone woman "

But the words that come out of my mouth are " I am a Slim and Healthy 10 stone woman"

Logically I put healthy first as the most important. But my old subconcious already knows I am quite healthy, my real issue is the weight bit. Try as I might I cant get it the right way round ! So decided my subconcious knows best and going with it.
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 06:19
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Carianne! Thanks for sharing that! I am so impressed that you were able to use this tool to resist your cravings!! It does seem like we are wrestling with the devil sometimes, doesn't it?? Now you believe that the affirmations work, which makes them even more powerful!! When I'm doing my walk and chanting I can feel myself walking faster and faster, standing more erect and my body becomes infused with energy....hey, that can't be a bad thing! Oh, and MAJOR congrats on the 1# loss!!! YIPPEEEEEE!!!

Plum - Just keep at the visualizations. Perhaps you could even get a picture of yourself at an ideal weight if you have an old one lying around and carry it with you.......... look at it while you say your affirmations........ "This is ME and I'm a slim 10 stone woman!" Or, you can even get a (realistic) picture from a magazine and cut and paste your head on top!! Using all the parts of your brain is helpful.... seeing it physically, saying it mentally, and saying it out loud....all help to solidify the idea in your subconscious.
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 07:33

Plan: LC & BFL
Stats: 214/175/150 Female 5'6
BF:will/update/:)
Progress: 61%

This thread is terrific!

I have used visualization to help myself make good food choices.

I am working on the positive self-talk. Amazing what you hear yourself say to yourself when you pay attention.
Ouch.

So...Today I am being kind to myself and loving myself and feeding my body wholesome food.

Because...I am SO worth it!

Have a great day everyone!
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 10:11

Thumbs up

Woohoo Carianne!!
Way to put the chocolate in it's place!!!
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 09:41
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Just wanted you all to know that I received my guided imagery weight loss tape in the mail (finally!) and listened to it last night as I was drifting off to sleep........... it truly is WONDERFUL! Side B has affirmations....again, WONDERFUL!

This company has been around for a really long time and they have an extensive catalog of tapes. Their website is also very good, allowing you to hear "samples" of the tapes.

Here's the web link: http://www.healthjourneys.com/catal...iew=item&cid=30
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 10:19

Smile

I used to have a guided imagery relaxation tape. I loved it too.

The funny thing is the tape included subliminal messages and in the back of my head I always wondered if they were real or were they telling me to buy Doritos and Sony?? Hmmmm....