Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

A Low Carb picnic sounds like a good idea...so far, it's the Bay Area people responding...but maybe as the circle gets bigger and the weather gets better we can figure a good center-point to meet...

Will stay in touch
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 23:10

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%
Default ya picnic..

ok, people are slowly buying into it. picnic on a bright sunny
day sounds good. Right now it is cold and hate it. and rain stuff.
Hope this gets over. We all will be closer to our goal by then..
I'll come loaded with my digital camera for free photo opportunities.. onto pushing weights now..

low carb beer for us..and full blown sugary coke for cheaters or for those 100% ers for reward... ha ha..

cool..
neeam

Last edited by neeam : Wed, Jan-22-03 at 03:26.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:40

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

Morning all

Cohenlin: You moved from Modesto a few years before I moved here. The town has grown a lot even in the short time I have lived here. I love the summers but am not fond of the smog/fog or cold temps in the winter months.

DD and Neeam: An LC picnic under the warm sun sounds great. I am only about an hour from either Sacramento or the Bay Area, most any location would be good for me. I don't mind driving. We will decide to go out to dinner and end up in San Francisco, Monterey or even on occassion Lake Tahoe (love the Friday night sea food buffet at Ceasers)

Please keep me in the loop for any plans.

Thanks,

Carrollee
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 12:04
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi everyone,

It's been quite a while since this thread was active, so I thought I'd pop in and get it back up to the top of the list!!

Especially since the weather is getting warmer here, and last we chatted, we were looking to get something together.

Maybe as we keep an eye on spring, others will sign in and we can actually get something going!!

Hope to hear from lots of locals...

I'm on the I-80 corrider between San Francisco and Sacramento... SURELY there are plenty who haven't found this thread yet!!

#50   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 12:35
Registered Member

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Carrolle, One bad thing about living in Eureka is that we are so far from Tahoe and those great Fri night seafood buffets! But we also have no smog, it nevers gets to 100 in the summer, and we have no traffic. We also have very little shopping. But looking outside at the redwood trees and all the green, I would never go back to the Valley.
I will be in Santa Rosa on business next month and wondered if anyone knows of a low carb store in the Santa Rosa area. I do not get down to the city very often and would like to try a few things that everyone has talked about.
Hope everyone is having a great day and ejoying this sunshine!
  #51   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: No particular plan
Stats: 85/90/93
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default San Leandro store?

Does anyone have the phone number or address of the new low carb store in San Leandro? I will be vacationing in Oakland next month, and I was looking for a place nearby where I could purchase low carb products without having to have them shipped out there for just one week. Also, do they still carry the cake rolls? My local health food store just started carrying them, and they are absolutely delicious. I've already developed a rather unhealthy addiction to them! :>

Thanks!

(I tried looking in the yellow pages, but neither
Carb Busters or Carb Cutters is listed. It must be
too new? Ugh. I hope they didn't go out of business!)
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb,low-mod. protein
Stats: 116/116/114 Female 62 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 0%
Default Re: Oakland/Emeryville

Quote:
Originally posted by smilin2day
Great to find this thread. Seems we have a fair number of LCers in Northern California. Trader Joe's is my main grocery store.
If you can tolerate macademia nuts, TJ's has organic for about
$5 a pound. They recently started carrying Atkins brownie, cornbread and blueberry muffin mix. None of these are good enough to eat a lot of so they are just right--just a taste will satisfy. Glad to know about Greenbeanz and the other store in San Leandro. I'm still learning what works for my body. Still on a plateau for my first few months of Atkins, partly because I am learning the hard way about the bars and nuts! I'm getting this is pretty much a meat and veggie plan with fat on top to satisfy.
Stay in touch.

Hi - I'm in Oakland also. Are you still low-carbing? If so, you might be interested to know that the manager of the Food Mill (Health food Store) on MacArthur Blvd. between Fruitvale and High Sts. is a low-carber and stocks a very nice group of low-carb products, including the Le Carb Ice Cream, which is reasonably priced. Go check it out! I just saw the post about Carb Busters, and will try to get there today. I'm low-carbing for maintenance, just started on 5/1/03.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 10:15
Registered Member

Default Re: San Leandro store?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tintalle
Does anyone have the phone number or address of the new low carb store in San Leandro? I will be vacationing in Oakland next month, and I was looking for a place nearby where I could purchase low carb products without having to have them shipped out there for just one week. Also, do they still carry the cake rolls? My local health food store just started carrying them, and they are absolutely delicious. I've already developed a rather unhealthy addiction to them! :>

Thanks!

I haven't called or been there yet, but their phone number that I got from information is (510)357-2272. They are in the Pelton Center in San Leandro, although I haven't been able to find their address yet.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 10:27
Registered Member

Default Re: San Leandro store?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tintalle

Thanks!

I live in Oakland, and here is where I shop:
The Food Mill (Health Food Store, 3033 MacArthur Blvd., Oakland, (510)482-3848). The manager is a low-carber and stocks a nice selection of specialty low-carb items.
Trader Joe's - There is one in Emeryville and one in Castro Valley
Whole Foods - There is one in Berkeley and one in San Ramon
I'm going to check out Carb Busters if they're still in business. I won't know for another hour, since it's 9:15 a.m. and they are not answering their phone--maybe they open at 10?
For candy, check out Rite Aid and Long's Drugs...they have some low-carb candy at reasonable prices--i.e. Russell Stover, Carbolite.
Carbolite Bars 1 - 1.75 oz are on sale now at Rite Aid for 75 cents a bar after rebate. Russell Stover bags of low-sugar low-carb candy are on sale for $1.25 each.
Some of the bigger supermarket chains...Albertsons, Safeway and the upscale Andronico's carry some products--varies from store to store and is limited.
Since La Tortilla Factory is an hour away, most large grocery stores carry their low-carb Tortillas. I always have a stash of them in my fridge. It's also easy to find Eden Organic Black Soy Beans, which are only 1 net carb per serving. They are unsalted, but cook into very tasty refried beans when cooked down in their own liquid and seasoned. The Tortillas also fry up into nice tasting chips, so by adding cheese, sour cream, guacamole, meat, olives, peppers, etc. into the mixture you can make a low-carb version of most of your favorite mexican dishes.
Greenbeanz Superstores are in San Ramon and Fremont, about 1/2 hour drive from Oakland. They have a decent selection of products but are quite pricey. Hope this helps, and have a great vacation in my home town :-)
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 386/368/150
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Marin County, here!

Just wanted to say hello ... just joined this Nor. Cal. thread. Anyone else close to Marin who needs a support buddy??
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 09:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%
Talking

just wanted to say hi to the norcal folks out there! san jose here =)
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 09:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%
Talking

just wanted to say hi to the norcal folks out there! san jose here =)
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 11:12
Registered Member

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Satihap,
I grew up in San Jose. Where in SJ do you live? I now live in Eureka and really miss all the shopping in the Bay Area.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 12:25

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default San Leandro Store...

FYI: Greenbeanz is now called Castus, everything else remains the same. There was a catering company with the same name so they had to change it. The weekly specials there are usually a good buy and in addition they mail out rebate checks which is a boon for regular shoppers like myself. They also tend to have more stock on staple items like Cheaters Crackers and Fresh baked Low Carb bread. Large freezers and you can taste different products before you buy. You can also order by phone, or net which in a pinch is a real time saver.

Carb Cutterz is at 109 Pelton Plaza Way, San Leandro, Ca 94577 (510) 357-CARB (2272) They have a nice selection of lowcarb items and may match prices if asked. They have the Cake rolls and other frozen items as well...hadn't seen the ice cream yet except at Castus but they may also now have that.

Trader Joes is always a favorite for fresh produce and great cheese and meat selections and even our local Longs store carries Judy's Sugar Free confections which are too great!

You may find as many have though, that so many of the sugar free treats and low carb processed foods put a stall in the works or send you running to the facilities. So use with caution....YMMV! Hope that helps.

Beth
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 17:57
Registered Member

Hi Beth - which Longs do you shop at that carries the Judy confections products? There are so many of them, but since we shop at the same stores you can't be too far from me! Also check out the unique selection at the Food Mill at 3033 (or is it 3303) MacArthur Blvd. in Oakland, between 35th and Fruitvale.
Trader Joe's also has those sugar free candy bars in Dark, Milk and White chocolate....3.54 oz. for $1.49.....what a steal compared to all of the other candy bars out there!
Laurie