Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 13:24

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%
Default sj lc-er

Hi
good to see ya all. I'm from San Jose. I did great with LC
program from last 6 months or so. I'm only 4/5 lb away from
achieving my goal. Ha Ha... this rocks..

You all can go it too..

neeam
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 13:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/196/186
BF:
Progress: 83%
Cool Hi

Hi All,
I buy regularly from Greenbeans. Recently, I compared their prices to Carbsmart (also in California).
I found that Carbsmart has better prices on most items and since they are in California, It usually takes 1 day to arrive.
JudyAnn, I am glad to hear from someone local. Not many people around here have experience with this lifestyle. Or, they refer to it as a diet that you start and stop. I made the decision a while ago to live this lifestyle. Plus, now that I am only 5-10 lbs off my goals, I am not that strict in counting carbs. In fact I feel if I can simply keep from putting on any pounds with the food I eat, I can loose the rest with exercise.
John
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 23:44

Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hey John, I know what you mean about the people around here. I'm surrounded by WWers - my sister, SIL, boss and his wife. I work in Sebastopol where all the old hippies have come to roost and raise little hippies - haha! I went into Whole Foods today for lunch (a salad) and asked if they had any macadamia nuts and the lady working there said they didn't carry them anymore because they didn't sell. You can get like 10 different types of sugar there and fake meat made out of starch! Ah, but I really do like the store, I shop there all the time, they have great no-nitrite bacon and salami.

I did find Atkins muffin and pancake mixes at Albertsons, which is cool so I don't have to order them. I'm going to check out Carbsmart. Most of the LC products are sooo expensive.

Looks like you're doing great - congrats!!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Smile

A suggestion to everyone out there that is looking for a less expensive place to buy macadamia nuts. Go to Costco, the Costco in Eureka has a large can for $9.99. I am at work so I can't tell you the weight for sure, but I think the can is 48oz.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 16:14
Registered Member

BF:

Judy, I went home and looked at the can of nuts fromCostco and found that the can was 24oz, not 48oz.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 21:29

Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Still that's a good deal. I paid $6.99 at Safeway for 7.5 oz! Are they roasted and salted? I like the plain ones.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 17:28

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

Hi all,

I am also from N. CA. Modesto. I just stumbled on to ths thread and its great to know there are a lot of people from this general area.

I buy most of my products at Trader Joes, GNC or O'Briens Market. O'Brien's carries a good selection AND they have over 200 types of cheese (the store on Palendale, if you get to this area)

This is my second time around for LCing. I lost about 60 lbs last year (in 6-7 months), but kind of went into the maint. phase for a few months. Well, now I'm back and determined to lose just over 40 more lbs. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Below is a link to my Fitday journal (just opened it)

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=Carrollee

If you check it out, this is not the way I usually eat. The Dr. says I have a slight case of stomach flu - Slight!!!! He is not living in my body

Looking forward to reading your posts!

Carrollee
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 17:01

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Welcome!

Having system problems so I'll be brief...Start a journal here if you would like to get some feed back more readily! There are lots of areas to check out and recipes to try too. Sounds like you did real well yourself last year and will do so again! I have about 40 more before I try to stabilize for a while...

Hope your new start goes well!

Beth
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 01:09

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Carrollee,
I'm from Modesto also. What a small world, huh? I drive by the O'Briens on Pelandale almost every day. But I go to the one in Roseburg Square. One of my favorite places...such nice people work there. I also frequent Trader Joe's. So maybe we've been bumping into each other and didn't know it.

It's good to know there are fellow LCers close to home. Victoria
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 22:38

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

Thank you Beth and Victoria,

Beth, hope your 'puter stops giving you problems!!!!

Victoria, I also used to go the O'Briens on Roseburg - we probably have stood in line behind each other a time or two. The store on Palendale is great. Ya shoud check it out sometime. I love having a Starbucks right there - having a cup of GOOD coffee makes shopping much easier.

Happy LC'ing

Carrollee
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 23:04

Default bay area LC party..

sounds crazy.. anybody from around bay area woukd like to do LC get together/dinner party?? I know it's not party time , hey life ought to go on... that would be real fun... we each will get stuff.. kinda potluck and exchange ideas..let's see how many would be interetsted...
neeam..
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 13:04
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Beth & Carrollee, Modesto sure must have changed since I lived there. We moved from Modesto in 1988, then it was a small town. Sure wish we had the shopping up here in Eureka that you now have in Modesto. But we don't get the fog and smog either, so we take the good with the bad.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 13:21
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

neeam...I was hoping for the same type of thing coming out of this thread...

I think it would really help (even though it's probably already listed in here somewhere) if everyone could put their TOWN or CITY down...either reply or better yet, change it in your profile...may help us find the ones very close by!!

The "Bay Area" is pretty big and No. CA and So. CA may as well be different states!! (Well, let's not go there )

Anyhow...I'm from Vacaville...half way between Sacramento and San Francisco...would love to meet some new faces and enjoy a LC lunch or dinner or something somewhere...

#44   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:17

Cool

DD

will get my profile right. I passed the town vacaville on way to
Tahoe. stopped for gas/food. now I can look for LC food when I pass by vacaville..

neeam
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:06

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Wow...Northern California Wakes Up!

I'm back...with a new system that doesn't make me ghost type and take 2+ hours to post a journal entry! Whew!

I think a LC party sounds like fun! I'm in the East bay, San Leandro area. It might be easier to wait till the weather warms up a bit and plan a LC picnic in one of our beautiful parks. I'm not opposed to traveling, especially when I get to see a new area of our gorgeous state.

As far as greenbeans prices go...the discount check comes in the mail when I spend in the store...I don't know if it applies to on line orders too. ?

The macadamia "can" (sitting on my desk) is dry roasted and definatley salted...I have heard of those who rinse them and retoast them in the oven as the salt seems to give some people fits if your sensitive.

Hope all are staying dry, it's another wet one over here!

Beth