Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/240/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello luv67fire! I just got back from Redding on Sunday night. My husband's family lives up there so we go there up there quite often. I haven't really been able to find much low carb stuff while up there. I believe when I was doing some research there is suppose to be some sort of low carb friendly place down in Anderson. I should really go check it out. How long have you be doing the LC thing? I am getting ready to start back up in December!

Suzanne
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 11:43

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Hello!

Welcome Stacy and Cassie! Finding specialty stores was tricky at first...so I just price shopped on line to find the best deals and bought in bulk...or multiple of what I new I liked...a little trial and error!

Carb Busters just opened in San Leandro...today is their Grand Opening...I'm debating avoiding the free samples they've promised or checking out a few! The pumpkin cake roll looked pretty good! It's a small store, but so far they are determined to have better prices than greenbeanz...we'll see!

Most all of what you need is available through any supermarket...this is just a nice way to slip in the hot cereals..and sugar free syrups which I use in serious moderation. And the occasional SF chocolate for the once amonth crazies..

Is anybody planning some LC dishes to add to your thanksgiving this year? I'm bringing a veggie dish and cheeses along with a dessert that will be LC to go with what ever kind of protein my family decides on. Sometimes we go with the prime rib and then I only have to avoid the yorkshire puddings! There's lots of good faux potato recipes in the recipe section...I'm trying one of
Donald's broc/caul casserole this year!

Take care!

Beth
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 10:21

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi Suzanne and Beth!

Suzanne,

You know, there are a ton of LCers here in Redding, but it seems like I'm one of the few that are on the internet! When I was talking to Tracy (the producer of Donahue show), she said she's had tons of calls from Redding. Interesting!!

I know of one called Sweat Treats on Hartnell in Redding, and then the health food stores carry a few things, mostly Keto stuff. I'd love to find that place in Anderson, if you ever get the name, make sure and PM me!

Oh and I've been on CAD since 10/28/02. I've lost 13 pounds in the first 3 weeks, but this week I think I'm gonna start TOM 'cause I've gained about 2 without any diet changes.

Beth,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I don't really use too much sugar-free things, even the low-carb products I am weary of. I am on CAD, so I have to have VERY little carbs for two meals and sugar free products may make my insulin spike, so I have to watch out for those. During my Reward Meal, I can have regular sugar, so the only thing I really use is the pancake mix with sf syrup.

Either way, glad to know there are people online in No. Cali.!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 11:05

BF:

luv67fire - I looked up the address and what not to that place in Anderson. I will include the information I found at the bottom of this post.

If you do not mind me asking what is CAD and TOM? I know this is probably something really simple and easy to know. I am still trying to get the hang of things.

In your previous post are you by chance diabetic? If so are you type I or type II? I was recently diagnosed with type II. And today I will find out if my husband is type I or type II. On his first fasting blood sugar was 650 then on Monday it was 450 after him starting metforim. I am currently on glovance. I think it is working pretty well. I should be able to get off all my medication after I start LCing for real.

Any ways I should be getting back to work. Have a great weekend!

GNC-SHASTA OUTLET CENTER
distance: 32.9 miles
1941 HIGHWAY 273
ANDERSON, CA 96007
(916)365-1082

Suzanne
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 18:21

BF:

Suzanne,

Thanks for the info. I've been to that place a few times, but not while LCing. THey must have a few things from Atkins, but prolly not totally LC. The Sweet Treats and the few health stores here in town will do. I also buy some things online.

TOM is "time of the month". And CAD is Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. It is a lc woe, but not as strict as Atkins. It really is only for true Carbohydrate Addict's though. You will know cause most Carb Addicts stall pretty easily on Atkins, mostly due to eating carbs continuously throughout the day (even if only a small amount). It means your body is continuously releasing insulin, which makes you hungry, crave foods, and gain (or not lose) weight. It is not for everyone, because some people can't control themselves during the one hour "reward meal", it is ok though, cause there are tons of lc woe that may fit them better.

Nope not diabetic. But in the CAD, you have to have no-to-little amounts of carbs for two meals, and then the last one you can have what you want, but in portions. SF things react the same way as sugar does in my body, it releases insulin. So I can't have it any other time besides during my reward meal. SO I might as well have real sugar anyways! Lol...
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 16:15

BF:

luv67fire -

I think I am going to be checking that one store out in Anderson this weekend because my husband and I will be up in Redding for Thanksgiving! I haven't really seen to many low-carb people up there. But, I am not up there all that often to socialize. Just to usually see family. It would be nice if there was some kind of get together or something up there. My husband and I would drive up there long as it was on a weekend or something. We wouldn't be able to do the middle of the week thing since we both work out in the silicon valley.

Anyways I should get going I have a whole lotta stuff I should be doing at work instead of replying to the post. Although replying to the post is much more intertaining then calling vendors to see if we are compliant with our licenses.

Suzanne
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 17:58

BF:

Check that one and really, the one on Hartnell called Sweet Treats is really nice. The lady who owns it is pure LOW carb and is such a neat lady!!

I don't know of too many other low-carbers up here, I'm still searchin! I think that'd be a neat idea to have a Nor Cali get together in maybe Chico or something.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 23:22
Registered Member

Stats: 203/197/155
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Oakland/Emeryville

Great to find this thread. Seems we have a fair number of LCers in Northern California. Trader Joe's is my main grocery store.
If you can tolerate macademia nuts, TJ's has organic for about
$5 a pound. They recently started carrying Atkins brownie, cornbread and blueberry muffin mix. None of these are good enough to eat a lot of so they are just right--just a taste will satisfy. Glad to know about Greenbeanz and the other store in San Leandro. I'm still learning what works for my body. Still on a plateau for my first few months of Atkins, partly because I am learning the hard way about the bars and nuts! I'm getting this is pretty much a meat and veggie plan with fat on top to satisfy.
Stay in touch.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 10:12

BF:

Hello smilin2day!

Glad to see that there are more people coming around. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I know this forum is awesome. I found a lot of interesting facts along with wonderful receipes and what not from here. I just wanted to welcome you! Have a wonderful day!

Suzanne
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 14:13
Registered Member

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Smile

Hi everyone, I am up north in Eureka. Nice to "talk" with people from Northen Calif. I sure wish we had a Trader Joes here, but shopping is very limited. When I manage to get to the Bay Area I never seem to have time to shop, at least no place besides Home Depot. Good luck to everyone on their weight loss. I have found LC very easy to stick with.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 20:25

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Welcome!

Welcome to the forum..I hope your finding everything you need. If not just ask! Trader joe's is kinda like having a year round farmers market. There are more and more LC opening up in the eastbay so if you ever plan on making a trip this way check them out...in the mean time there's always online ordering!

I find LC pretty easy too, especially when compared to LF which always left me starving!

Beth
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 13:31
Registered Member

BF:

Hi everyone from the Northern Calif, hope everyone is drying out. We have had 13 inches of rain in the last two weeks and more to come. I will go from Eureka to Weaverville on business once a month and when I have shopping to do I will contiune over to Redding. Since the only place I ever go in Redding is the Mall area, can someone who lives in that area give me the address on LC stores. This way I can pull out my map of Redding and find them next time I am in town. Thanks for you help.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 14:06

BF:

Cohenlin heres a link for directions to Sweat Treats, it is SUCH a cute place. Don't be fooled, half the store is low carb and sugar free.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...=&lr=2&x=36&y=4
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Cassie, thanks for the map link, that look easy to find. Now if the weather would cooperate I will get over the passes on 299 at the end of Jan. for my next trip to Weaverville. Have a happy new year.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 13:14

Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I just found this thread. I'm new here so I'm still wandering around checking things out.

I live in Petaluma, in Sonoma CO. very close to John in Santa Rosa, Hey John since you've been doing this for a few years maybe you can tell me where to find some products locally?

I've ordered stuff from Greanbeanz and usually get it within a couple of days. I wish they'd open a store up here!

Judy