Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 04:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Dr Phil is the one I heard say about overweight people: "Just stop eating so much!". I won't give anything else he says on iota of credibility.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 05:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%
Default Dr. Phil or Dr. Phil

Is it possible that we are muddling Dr. Phil Kaplan and Dr. Phil (McGraw)?

By the way, Talon, as a big Dr. Phil (McGraw) fan, I want to ask you to read his whole take on weight - there's more to it than just this one line - and in context, this one line makes more sense than just standing on its own.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 06:18
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 165/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
Holy cow Atkin's is a fad diet?!?!??!?!?! Wow I didn't think fad's lasted for more than 20 years. Some fad.

Okay you say you have more information about the formula to weight management?

Put up or shut up. Let's see your sources buddy, hope you feel like listing all of them.

Posting an informerical from Dr Phil is hilarious if that is your "proof". I can hardly wait to see the rest of it.

I am calling your bluff. Let's see it.

Phil Kaplan is NOT a doctor and he never claimed to be. He did NOT bash Atkins, he presented his evidence and he even showed respect towards Dr Atkins which is more than I can say for some here.
Time to put up or shut up..here's more for you. I can't wait to see how you are going to refute this

http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/diet...ein.diet.heart/

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/htm...atured0400.html

http://www.health101.org/art_Atkins_diet.htm

http://www.hopkinsafter50.com/html/...201Feature.html

No matter what I put up you guys will destroy it's credibility. Correct?
It is amazing how defensive you guys get when confronted with evidence and can't come to terms and admit the flaws of this fad diet.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 06:33

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:

thanks for the entertainment, infuriator. Reading this sort of stuff only reinforces how well researched and well written the works of Mackarness/ Groves/Eades/Atkins are !

Last edited by plum : Wed, Oct-02-02 at 06:41.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 06:37

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by infuriator
Phil Kaplan is NOT a doctor and he never claimed to be. He did NOT bash Atkins, he presented his evidence and he even showed respect towards Dr Atkins which is more than I can say for some here.
Time to put up or shut up..here's more for you. I can't wait to see how you are going to refute this

http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/diet...ein.diet.heart/

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/htm...atured0400.html

http://www.health101.org/art_Atkins_diet.htm

http://www.hopkinsafter50.com/html/...201Feature.html

No matter what I put up you guys will destroy it's credibility. Correct?
It is amazing how defensive you guys get when confronted with evidence and can't come to terms and admit the flaws of this fad diet.

What I find amazing is You. You thinking you are the first person in the whole world that has come onto this forum and push informericals and news media articles at us. Everything you are presenting we have seen before. We have had "your" type come to the forum over and over again thinking you are going to be the savor of low carb dieters?

Come on give us a break please. What exactly is your profession? Are you a medical doctor? Are you a nutritionalist? Why are YOU taking a hard stand against Low carb diets? Animal activist that takes offense at us eating meat? Medical student that just learned the food pyramid? Body builder? We have seen them all here. We are a support forum. We are in no way affilated with Dr Atkin's nor does he visit this site. If you have a beef with him why not visit www.atkinscenter.com and post all your stuff there. They might care.

Have you read up on insulin resistance? Do you know what it is?
I find it amusing that none of the articles you put up are The formula to weight management is exercise and a diet containing all the energy nutrients and not fad diets.

What pray tell is that magic formula? Please let us in on this great formula you know of that all the doctors and medical researchers have failed to figure out.

Have you read through our forums? OUR research and media threads?

You have proved nothing. You have only put up media hype and garbage research attempts. Having a study of 10 people doing a diet for 10 days and taking blood tests is not research.

So...are you going to be our savor and point us to the light of perfect health and a way to lose weight and resolve medical conditions without medications?

Do you have any idea what we eat? I will give you a hint. It isn't pure meat and cheese and eggs. We consume on a daily basis fresh veggies and fruits! Imagine that. What we don't eat is pasta, rice, sugar, and high starchy things. Guess you didn't bother reading the book eh? OR wait, you didn't get past the first chapter?

fad : a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal :

What is your defination of time? Atkin's has been around for almost 30 years now. Some fad huh? It's not a fad my dear.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 06:42
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by plum
thanks for the entertainment, infuriator. Reading this sort of stuff only reinforces how well researched and well written the works of Mackarness/ Groves/Eades are !
and the work of Atkins is well researched and written
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 07:27
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

If you don't like the Atkins diet, your solution is simple. Just don't follow it. Your stats indicate that you don't have a weight problem so I don't understand why you are even here. As far as I'm concerned, my weight issues are my problem so I will battle it with MY weapon of choice, which happens to be lowcarbing. If you don't like my weapon, fine. Don't use it.
asugar
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 08:06
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I can't help but feel sorry for people like our guest here, "infuriator". First of all, it's apparent that his goal in life is to aggravate, annoy and infuriate others.... just look at his name. I mean, we all know people like this in our lives....people we work with or neighbors, etc....who are so angry and full of hurt that they purposefully seek to make others feel the same way....so that they can feel better or validate their own feelings? I have no idea, really, why people act this way....I just feel sympathy for them. Surely his motivation is not "caring" about our health....why in the world would he present his case in such an aggressive, antagonistic way? I mean, if I were to go over to the WW board to try to "help" those people (not that I ever would, I have too much respect for others to take charge of their own health), I surely wouldn't charge in the way infuriator has! And hope to be heard? No, this is just someone who needs our prayers, friends.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 08:09
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
What I find amazing is You. You thinking you are the first person in the whole world that has come onto this forum and push informericals and news media articles at us. Everything you are presenting we have seen before. We have had "your" type come to the forum over and over again thinking you are going to be the savor of low carb dieters?

Come on give us a break please. What exactly is your profession? Are you a medical doctor? Are you a nutritionalist? Why are YOU taking a hard stand against Low carb diets? Animal activist that takes offense at us eating meat? Medical student that just learned the food pyramid? Body builder? We have seen them all here. We are a support forum. We are in no way affilated with Dr Atkin's nor does he visit this site. If you have a beef with him why not visit www.atkinscenter.com and post all your stuff there. They might care.

Have you read up on insulin resistance? Do you know what it is?
I find it amusing that none of the articles you put up are The formula to weight management is exercise and a diet containing all the energy nutrients and not fad diets.

What pray tell is that magic formula? Please let us in on this great formula you know of that all the doctors and medical researchers have failed to figure out.

Have you read through our forums? OUR research and media threads?

You have proved nothing. You have only put up media hype and garbage research attempts. Having a study of 10 people doing a diet for 10 days and taking blood tests is not research.

So...are you going to be our savor and point us to the light of perfect health and a way to lose weight and resolve medical conditions without medications?

Do you have any idea what we eat? I will give you a hint. It isn't pure meat and cheese and eggs. We consume on a daily basis fresh veggies and fruits! Imagine that. What we don't eat is pasta, rice, sugar, and high starchy things. Guess you didn't bother reading the book eh? OR wait, you didn't get past the first chapter?

fad : a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal :

What is your defination of time? Atkin's has been around for almost 30 years now. Some fad huh? It's not a fad my dear.

Heres the solution...get off your ass and exercise and take in the right amount of carbs, protein and fat. There is NO substitute for a proper exercise/workout program and a balanced intake of carbs, proteins, and fats. What is so special about the Atkins Diet ...nothing. You could do yourself a favor and exercise, eliminate his carb restricted diet and live a healthier lifestyle. That is the name of the game.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 08:14

Quote:
Heres the solution...get off your ass and exercise and take in the right amount of carbs, protein and fat. There is NO substitute for a proper exercise/workout program and a balanced intake of carbs, proteins, and fats. What is so special about the Atkins Diet ...nothing. You could do yourself a favor and exercise, eliminate his carb restricted diet and live a healthier lifestyle. That is the name of the game.

Perhaps you failed to notice but I lift weights 3 times a week and run the other 3 days.

Please don't resort to foul language or flaming. We do have a policy against such behavior.

Face it. Regardless of what we post you will post counters.

So, why is it you are visiting a low carb forum when you yourself don't follow one?

What is your goal here?

Did you think you would change any of our minds by paying us a visit?

Did you research insulin resistance yet?

What profession did you say you were in?

I see you failed to answer any of these and instead decided to insult.

Oh and BTW these were my numbers yesterday. Care to share yours?

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1738
Fat: 121 1085 64%
Sat: 48 431 25%
Poly: 21 185 11%
Mono: 42 374 22%
Carbs: 36 123 7%
Fiber: 6 0 0%
Protein: 122 488 29%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 08:43
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Perhaps you failed to notice but I lift weights 3 times a week and run the other 3 days.

Please don't resort to foul language or flaming. We do have a policy against such behavior.

Face it. Regardless of what we post you will post counters.

So, why is it you are visiting a low carb forum when you yourself don't follow one?

What is your goal here?

Did you think you would change any of our minds by paying us a visit?

Did you research insulin resistance yet?

What profession did you say you were in?

I see you failed to answer any of these and instead decided to insult.

Oh and BTW these were my numbers yesterday. Care to share yours?

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1738
Fat: 121 1085 64%
Sat: 48 431 25%
Poly: 21 185 11%
Mono: 42 374 22%
Carbs: 36 123 7%
Fiber: 6 0 0%
Protein: 122 488 29%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

I am a personal trainer with a degree in Exercise Physiology and a degree in nutrition. Is that good enough for you?
As for your calorie breakdown, too much fat. over twice the recommended amount, which is high to begin with, too much saturated fat, way too little carbs. The protein is a little high but not as bad as the others. This type of diet may not be an issue now but ultimately you will find out the hard way and I hope you don't.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 08:53

Great!

Perhaps you would like to visit our exercise forums and chat with TrainerDan who is also a professional trainer. He has written several books of his own.

And as for your opinion about my calorie breakdown. I didn't ask for it. Nor do I care for your opinion. My personal doctor is quite pleased with my blood work, heart rate and weight loss. But thanks for your concern.

Now for the rest of my questions that you seemed to have glided over. Want to answer those as well?

I'm rather curious but have you read the New York Times article titled "What if it's all been a big fat lie?" Perhaps you should. It may enlighten you.

One other thing you might consider. Everyone who is a registered member to this forum *IS* doing something about their weight problem. They are exercising AND changing their eating habits.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Great!

Perhaps you would like to visit our exercise forums and chat with TrainerDan who is also a professional trainer. He has written several books of his own.

And as for your opinion about my calorie breakdown. I didn't ask for it. Nor do I care for your opinion. My personal doctor is quite pleased with my blood work, heart rate and weight loss. But thanks for your concern.

Now for the rest of my questions that you seemed to have glided over. Want to answer those as well?

I'm rather curious but have you read the New York Times article titled "What if it's all been a big fat lie?" Perhaps you should. It may enlighten you.

One other thing you might consider. Everyone who is a registered member to this forum *IS* doing something about their weight problem. They are exercising AND changing their eating habits.

I did not come here to be interrogated by the likes of you and I am free to state whatever I want. I find it common among Atkins supporters to get EXTREMELY defensive when presented with credible and overwhelming data against his way. Of course anyone anywhere can find anything to support their claim even if the claims are fallacious.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
I....... Of course anyone anywhere can find anything to support their claim even if the claims are fallacious.
And you are certainly proving that statement to be TRUE.

I'm in the process of reviewing the links you've posted above, and I'm seeing lots of the usual rhetoric and journalistic commentary .. but not a lot of scientific research.

Doreen
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:20

heheheh

You sir amuse me.

I am not getting defensive at all. I have not once cursed or resorted to insults at you (which you have lost control a while back due to anger that you were not getting the reaction you were so hoping for?) I have yet see any "creditable or overwhelming" data from you yet. You have posted informericals and a few news articles.

Perhaps you would like to visit this:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=60239

One of our members is being featured in the "Muscle and Fitness" magazine.

Or perhaps this site would more suit you?

http://www.quadrafit.com/

Which is run by our own TrainerDan who Moderates our exercise forums.

Perhaps this isn't exactly the site you were hoping for? You were hoping for more of a flame contest perhaps?

Enjoy the reads.