Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: On induction, I drank:
Decaf 225 29.53%
Regular, and I think it impaired my weight loss. 49 6.43%
Regular, and I think it had no effect on my weight loss. 488 64.04%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

#76   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 09:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/168/155
BF:
Progress: 48%
Smile caffine

I have not cut out the caffine. It is nearly impossible for me. I did decrease my caffine intake from 2.5 pots a day to 3-4 large cups. I know this sounds crazy, but I am a high school social studies teacher, and I go to college 4 nights a week, and attend for five hours on Saturday. I don't think that it has affected my weight loss in any way (at least not yet). We all need our enjoyment in our life, and we only live once. I like coffee, and to me, decaf is like drinking dirty water.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 13:37

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have been a coffee drinker since I was little and when I went on Atkins, I started drinking decaf. I did have mind splitting headaches for a few days, but as far as taste, they taste exactly the same. I think it is in the mind that caffienated drinks taste different than decaf, but just my opinion.
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 12:05

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Alton Brown Says

If you guys watch the food network. Alton Brown says that the expensive decaf is very good. He said that the cheaper decaf doesn't taste as good. Something to do with the manufacturing.

Black57

I have been considering mixing the two.
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Hello

Never went off caffeine and have lost 26.5lbs in 5 mos. Not bad considering all the mess ups I've had!!
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 13:35

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%

OMG I'm surrounded by caffeine addicts!! And I never even knew!! I dont drink coffee or do ANY drugs like tobacco or alcohol either anymore. I stay away from all CNS stimulants all-together, If I can't handle my daily routine without nuking myself with uppers, then I lessen my routine.

I think another huge part of the whole American addiction issue is caffeine (many of you have already quit sugar , yay!). I dont like the idea of needing something, food is my only energy (and air).

I sugest supping with Fish Oil/Omega-3's (DHA and EPA) as these are essetial fatty acids and help with brain function/depression and mood to everyone out there.

Just my .5 cent
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 00:43

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

I don'tneed coffee, I like coffee! So glad to read that all y'all have done well without giving up a moderate amount.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 05:39
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 172.6/169.6/140 Female 63 inches
BF:41.5%/41.5%/25%
Progress: 9%
Default Ah, the smell of freshly brewed coffee!

The smell of freshly brewed coffee is nearly irresistible to me. I have one cup first thing in the morning, but then none for the rest of the day. Not because of the caffeine, but because of the carbs. I find it much easier to keep within my carb count, if I'm not using up 5-6 carbs a day on coffee.

Another side-effect is that, when I don't drink as much coffee, I find it easier to get all my water down.

Nelle
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 12:49

Plan: Atkins ("true" Induction since April 1)
Stats: 184.5/172/130
BF:yuck%/yuck%/yuck%
Progress: 23%
Default Coffee and depression?

Hi -

Well, after this great thread, I tried reintroducing coffee into my daily regimen. I hadn't really been a big coffee drinker before, but I thought it would be a nice treat, and a good pick me up.

Well, on Saturday morning, I got myself an iced regular coffee (black) from Starbucks, and then in the late afternoon, I came off my "caffeine high"....and suddenly felt really depressed and anxious! I knew it was the caffeine, so I got myself through it, but I hadn't felt that anxious/depressed in quite a while.

Has anyone else experienced this with caffeine? Maybe I'm just too sensitive to it....

Anshim
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 05:31

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Default none

During Induction I was perfect (hey, what's 2 weeks out of a lifetime of imperfection )

I drank no caffeine, had no artificial sweeteners, not a single thing not on the accepted food list, drank my water, took my vits, and exercised after the first week. Lost 9.7 lbs.

Too bad I can't say this for a SINGLE DAY ever since (Jan 28th).

Laughing at myself. Hope whoever might read this keeps that in mind. I am NOT full of myself, it's just my sense of humour
  #85   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 12:00

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:

Wow, did I give up caffeine for nothing? 13 days into induction, I have been drinking 1 cup decaf per day. I was a coffee fanatic 2 weeks ago (seattle tradition) but it is just not the same without the accessories...you know, the french vanilla or hazelnut creamer. I am improvising with sugarfree hazelnut syrup and cream, but the effect is lacking. I don't miss pasta but boy do I miss a good mocha!
  #86   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 12:41
Registered Member

Stats: 279.5/205/215 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Cool

I've lost 50 pounds since going on Atkin's in November and continue to drink 3-4 cups of strong Starbucks coffee every day. I cannot believe it would have made a difference for me.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 13:24

Stats: 248/238/165
BF:
Progress: 12%

So how many carbs would be in a grande sugar-free vanilla breve? Is the vanilla syrup carb free?

I gave up caffiene the first time I tried atkins, and have stayed away from it because the withdrawls were something I dont want to have to go through again.

I have been a little afraid to try decaf because it still has caffiene in it, and I have been afraid to try it. But it would probably be ok for a once in a while treat.

I used to love my mocha's in the morning and I really miss them, but I also like not HAVING to find caffiene in the morning before I go anywhere.

Dawn
  #88   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 13:54

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default u've convinced me

yesterday, i decided to forego the java and see if it helped with the cravings.... but dayum i can barely move today. sluggish, headachy and tired...so tired. i usually don't have trouble just stopping, but when you are stopping all the other addictions, i think i will stick with 1 or 2 cups in the morning. and the psychological pleasure especially on a laid back weekend is too much to give up.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 16:24

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I've never been much of a coffeee drinker, but I did cut out caffien in the form of soft drinks durring induction. I recently had an unexplained gain and constant munchies, so I did the KIS thing 'till it went away, and am now slowly testing things as I add them back to my diet. I had a regular iced coffee and it gave me no cravings, and did not impede my weight loss.

Jamian
  #90   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 17:19

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default cafe mocha

Can anyone tell me about their experience with cafe mochas with whipped cream? THe good- the bad and the ugly...

thank you,

M-